Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-11-2020, 11:31 AM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default I want a Automatic with overdrive in my T-Bird

Any one of you ever put an Automatic with Overdrive in a 56 T-Bird? If so what transmission and how much trouble was it? My T-Bird has the air cooled no lines going to the radiator. On the interstate my T-Bird needs a overdrive to run at 70 +. I need to talk to someone that has done this. I plan on keeping the T-Bird, I do like it very much.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: I want a Automatic with overdrive in my T-Bird

Ford made an AOD transmission in the 80's that is a fairly common swap for the Fordomatic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_AOD_transmission
Yes you'd need a T-Bird radiator with the transmission cooler, or a separate cooler.

Several places sell an adapter kit. I'll bet someone here has an idea which one is better... (I hope this link works)
https://www.google.com/search?client...-block+adapter

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/277.cfm

https://transmissionadapters.com/pro...ck-to-ford-aod

Last edited by dmsfrr; 09-11-2020 at 01:02 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #3
miker98038

I haven't done it, or seen it done, so this is speculation. The tunnel on a 56 is a bit bigger than a 55 (for the T-85 behind the 312's) so you've probably got clearance. I also don't know is there's different gear ratios for the AOD, or lock up controls, etc. so you'll want to research that. Then you'll need to look at the existing rear end ratio, and see if the gears are going to work with a .67 o/d. Since the 56 uses the Dana rear end (45? 44?) some of those parts are expensive/difficult to find. I think you'll be ok for gears but I don't know (my bird definitely has a 44 from a previous swap).

Better to figure it out in advance than get a surprise.

IIRC, your pretty close to one of the better bird suppliers/restoration companies. I'd start with a phone call to them, hopefully they've done one.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #4
Daves55Sedan

If your drivetrain is all factory original, you currently have the integral housing type rearend (Dana 44 most likely) and the only rear end ratio they offered in '56 with Fordomatic in T-Birds is 3.31:1, which is okay but your RPM's are higher on the highway than they need to be. The Y-block engine has amazing torque and can easily handle a lower ratio without loading the engine.
If you can find a rear end ring and pinion set with a lower ratio that'll fit the dana, that might be an alternative to an AOD trans swap.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Old Redneck

I like what you fellows have to say what to do. I am in love with the T-Bird and want to make it very enjoyable to drive. One fellow said he put a Classic Auto Air in his 56 and it has heat and defrost also. I want to get pictures first to see what it looks like. Its going to take a couple of years to get it like I want. But I will with your help. Thanks. Kenneth Stewart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FAFF073E-C967-4927-860B-39CA5637D7C5.jpg (94.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 09-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #6
miker98038

Ken, If you've got the 3.31 gear, with the .67 o/d I found listed for the AOD that's equivalent to a 2.22 final drive. Even for a y block torque that's pretty tall. Be great in the Arizona desert where the freeway is 75 and a lot of traffic is 85

I've got a Classic Air in my 12 volt 55, we may have already touched on that. But that I can give you first hand.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 11:52 PM   #7
55blacktie

Old Redneck, I hope you received my email/w more detailed info. I might have been logged out before it could be sent. Let me know if you didn't receive it.
55blacktie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
Old Redneck

I did not receive your e-mail. Try again. I love this site.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:07 AM   #9
55blacktie

Old Redneck, I just sent a PM.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #10
down-the-road

I am in the process of putting an AOD behind a Y-block. The available space under the floor is probably different between my 55 Customline and the Tbird. I’m still a long way from getting anything on the road, so I can only comment on what I have found out while gathering parts for this swap. Hopefully someone who has completed the installation can tell us how it behaves on the road.

What I found was pretty much the same information in the links provided in the earlier post by DMSFRR. Bendsten appears to be the only outfit making the adapter kit. The kit offered by PATC in Bossier City, LA is made by Bendsten according to communications I had with the folks at Bendsten. Pictures in the Second Chance Garage article look the same as parts I received in the kit from Bendsten. The kit sells for $950, a bit higher than $695 as reported in the article.

The AOD housing must be modified to clear the starter drive when using the Bendsten kit. That wasn’t too difficult a job. I drilled some holes to remove the bulk of the aluminum and cleaned up the rest with a die grinder. This did leave a small opening to the outside of that case that I’ll probably seal up with some epoxy. Kit installation instructions are available on Bendsten’s website.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...96a3ed.pdf?373
down-the-road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:14 PM   #11
51504bat

Another option: http://www.wilcap.com/wilcapstore.ht...egory=14420225
Don't know anything about a Chevy 700R4 but it might fit better or not. Wilcap makes quality stuff.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #12
paul2748

You do have to grind some of the frame (right side only I believe). Had a friend put in an AOD and watched him grinds. Nothing major. New rear mount has to be made up and all the new linkage for the kickdown and throttle.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #13
down-the-road

AOD case modification is required when using Bendsten's kit to mount the AOD on a Y-block. The area to be removed to allow clearance for the starter drive is marked in red and shown by the orange arrow.

IMG_0174 with arrow.jpg

After drilling a few holes to remove most of the aluminum and using a die grinder to smooth things out. Note the small hole that went through a thinner section of the wall. Bendsten's instructions said this might happen. I'll probably seal this with some epoxy.

IMG_0198.jpg

Checking clearance with starter drive extended.

IMG_0197.jpg

Test fit adapter plate on AOD.

IMG_0199.jpg

After I get things mounted I'll use a Lokar TV cable between the carb and the throttle valve lever on the transmission. Other threads make it sound like an AOD fits inside the tunnel when mounted behind a 302 in a Customline. I'm hoping the fit is about the same behind a Y-block. There is plenty of work to go before my transmission can be installed to verify the fit.
Old 09-14-2020, 05:18 PM   #14
orangedog

My 54 customline has a 302 with AOD, there was no modification to the tunnel. This combo was in the car when I received it earlier this year.
orangedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #15
JeffB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangedog View Post
My 54 customline has a 302 with AOD, there was no modification to the tunnel. This combo was in the car when I received it earlier this year.
Also running a 302 & AOD in my '54 Customline nice fit no tunnel mods. PATC has a live Chat line if you have more questions and just about any part you would want for the AOD. https://transmissioncenter.net/shop/...y-block-motor/

Last edited by JeffB2; 09-15-2020 at 05:36 PM.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #16
down-the-road

I ended up with more questions than answers when I contacted PATC through their live chat. Maybe I caught someone there on a bad day.

Several months ago I asked PATC for more details about the AOD to Y-block adapter kit. It was the same kit identified in the link that JeffB2 provided. PATC could not provide installation instructions for this kit. The guy on the chat line said that instructions would be included in the box when the adapter was shipped. The PATC chat guy also said that no modifications to the AOD transmission housing were required when using their kit.

From that point I directed my inquiries to the folks at Bendsten's Speed Gems and purchased the adapter kit from them. Same kit, same price, and better tech support. This is the same outfit identified in the third link provided earlier by dmsfrr.

https://transmissionadapters.com/pro...ck-to-ford-aod

An interesting quote from Bendsten's Speed Gems website. Here at Speed Gems Transmission Adapters, we adapt the old motors to modern transmissions so you can use an engine with some personality, plus get a lot better gas mileage with an overdrive gear, whether it is a manual or automatic application. We plan to lead a revolution against the trend of planting small block Chevy motors into everything that moves.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM   #17
Bkernell

Wilcap adapter in my 56 victoria 700R4 easy install 2400 RPM@ 75 mph,sure did wake up my 292,man I love it
Bkernell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:35 PM   #18
55blacktie

Old Redneck, what did you decide to do for transmission/rear gear swap?
Old 01-22-2021, 04:55 PM   #19
JimNNN

Neat discussion. If my early 60's Merc wasn't so original I might consider putting an AOD in it, if such a thing was possible. Has a 352 and two speed auto...and, as I recall, is at 2600 rpm at 70 mph.
JimNNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #20
5851a

I wouldn't be afraid to run the 3.31 gear with an aod. Have had several Grand Marquis and a couple Town Cars that came with 3.08 gears. The cars were probably heavier than a Tbird and had some tall tires also along with the mighty lopo 150hp 5.0 .
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:15 PM   #21
Gene F

I agree with the supplier's comment about small block Chevy. I have a Plymouth streetrod, and the original builder put a 350 Chevy in it. I would have preferred a 318 or a 340.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote