Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-22-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Vintage Copper 47

Default Self/repair & rebuilding my "G" model flathead SIX

I am considering taking the plunge and doing my own re-build of my early 1947, 226 C.I. "G" model SIX cylinder motor. I know many questions will come up through this. My first questions are:

1. Harbor Freight (I know, china crap) has a folding version with a 2K capacity.. Would this be best or are there some tricks to bolting up flywheels/clutch assemblies & having the flexibility to invert the motor for oil pan, etc. or any other manufacturer suggestions?

2. I have started collecting the rarer parts (water pump, distributor, etc.) but what about the starter? I read somewhere I need one with less teeth because a SIX cylinder flywheel is different than a V8s.?

A post on FORD SIX PERFORMANCE read:
the drive gear must have 9 teeth to correctly mesh with the 6 cylinder 114 tooth ring gear.

Whereas the V8 has the 10 tooth v8 drive gear which meshes with the 112 tooth v8 ring gear. The v8 ring gear will not fit on the 6 cylinder flywheel.

Even if I have a shop rebuild my motor, I am considering doing a rebuild on another "donor" motor to get the experience. "I guess I am old enough for the experience & too young to know better"

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me..

SORRY GUYS.. POST IN WRONG FORUM!

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"

Last edited by Vintage Copper 47; 10-22-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Self/repair & rebuilding my "G" model flathead SIX

Go for it, it's not brain surgery. For only one overhaul, I would not buy an engine stand. Build a good strong short legged table, and do as the factory did. Assemble it while standing on the flywheel. When it gets empty, you can wrestle it down on the table, or use a rented or borrowed cherry picker.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
5851a

Default Re: Self/repair & rebuilding my "G" model flathead SIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
Go for it, it's not brain surgery. For only one overhaul, I would not buy an engine stand. Build a good strong short legged table, and do as the factory did. Assemble it while standing on the flywheel. When it gets empty, you can wrestle it down on the table, or use a rented or borrowed cherry picker.
That is good advice, I rebuilt a 240 OHV engine on a 1 ton stand and I was sweating bullets, very bouncy and used a 2X4 under the nose when I could. Lot of weight hanging from 4 engine stand bolts, was real afraid I would break the block. Maybe 2 inexpensive stands, one on each side attached to the block sides in the center. Have not done a 6 since but always knew I would need something better than the first time.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote