Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Vintage Copper 47

Default A better carburetor for my 47 G model six cylinder

I was talking to someone (I can't remember who) that said I can replace the single barrel Holly on my 1947 flathead G model straight six with a later model carb from an early 60's ford six cylinder.. Does anyone know what model car/engine he was talking about and the model/brand of the carburetor? My current carburetor is on it's last rebuild (it gobbles fuel, had some stripped threads, loose linkage).. I do have another Holly for the 47, but before I go into the expense of rebuilding my additional Holly, I wanted to check out the other carb option for possibly better gas mileage.. Thanks to all responses.. WALT

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

"Old enough for the experience & too young to know better"
Vintage Copper 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:01 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: A better carburetor for my 47 G model six cylinder

The stock carb is properly sized for the engine. Trying to second guess the original designer is usually not productive. Rebuild or replace.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by supereal View Post
The stock carb is properly sized for the engine. Trying to second guess the original designer is usually not productive. Rebuild or replace.
If the later carb has same CFM etc... but an improved design.. why would I keep using a carburetor that is basically a soda can with some jets in it?

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

Old 02-28-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
If the later carb has same CFM etc... but an improved design.. why would I keep using a carburetor that is basically a soda can with some jets in it?
True that!
I don't have a specific carb in mind, but measure the bolt spacing of the base and visit the nearest self-serve yard. Throttle linkage and air cleaner can be modified to fit. Lots of choices: Mavericks had 200 and 250 sixes, AMC had 199, 232 and 258 sixes, Chrysler had the 225 slant six, Ford pickups had a 240 six, etc. A lot of these used a single barrel Carter that works well.
Hey, even Subaru used this Carter carb! Just check for a worn throttle shaft and signs of hammer adjustments.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:47 PM   #5
GB SISSON

When I was 15 my best friend bought a non-running '58? rover sedan with leather interior and aluminum body for 60 bucks. His dad was a shade tree mechanic and they took the carb off a dead rambler in the back yard and made an adapter from pipe and plate to mount it. We had a lot of adventures in that rig all the way through high school. Don't be afraid to experiment or adapt. It isn't rocket science!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 PM   #6
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
When I was 15 my best friend bought a non-running '58? rover sedan with leather interior and aluminum body for 60 bucks. His dad was a shade tree mechanic and they took the carb off a dead rambler in the back yard and made an adapter from pipe and plate to mount it. We had a lot of adventures in that rig all the way through high school. Don't be afraid to experiment or adapt. It isn't rocket science!
Thanks GB... the carburetor I was thinking of is supposed to have the same bolt pattern & similar linkage... I will do some more research..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Copper 47 View Post
Thanks GB... the carburetor I was thinking of is supposed to have the same bolt pattern & similar linkage... I will do some more research..
I have a six here that came with a load of V8s I bought last year. It has the side mount distributor so I think it's an H? Would it's carb be the same as the G carb?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 AM   #8
toby

Your "G" series carb is not hooked up to vacuum from the distributor. Wouldn't a newer carb need a vacuum source?
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
40 Deluxe

Found a seller on ebay last night that lists brand new "Carter type" Model YFA carbs for $80-90. Also some "Holley type" carbs. These are one barrel carbs like you want. They are made in China, not OEM so they could be great or not so great.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:15 PM   #10
meric42

When I had my '42 G-series six, I considered modifying the manifold to take a Stromberg 97 as I always felt that the G engine would benefit from less constricted fuel intake path but never got around to trying it. Given that the ford six is 226ci I don't consider that it would be over carbed since the 97 was originally designed for the smaller 221ci engines.

JMHO

Gotta love my '42 Sedan Delivery's - Now that I own the only two in New Zealand

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/album.php?albumid=580
meric42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #11
skidmarks

most likely the one you were told about was whats called a glassbowl holley that was used on 223 OHV in the 60s. also falcons. they are good carbs but the biggest thing they suffer from is the bowl leaking from being over tightend. there was also the same carb but the bowl was diecast.

we run 2 of them on a hot-rodded 192 ford in a model A, but also run a single carb of a H motor in another model A with a hopped up 192. H is similar to your G motor. the H has vacuum single for the later distributer

im not sure what the 215 motor had on it, which was the first 6 OHV after the H and before the 223.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:05 PM   #12
Alaska Jim

The 215, had a glass bowl Holley. My brother and I ran 2 of them on a fenton manifold back in 1969 In a '52 Ford with a 3 on the tree. That ohv 6 would give many flat v8's a run.

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 03-02-2018 at 02:18 AM.
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:53 AM   #13
flatheadmurre

If gas mileage is the goal the later carbs from the 140-250 engines that was produced when mileage was an issue might be a better choice.
Or find a modern carb and adapt it.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:22 PM   #14
amodel25

I am running two of the glass bowl type Holleys except with die cast bowls on a 226 in my avatar. It has a reground cam and some other goodies. After I got the bowl leaks resolved (die cast bowls are easier to stop leaking than the glass bowls) I have had no other carb problems in over 10 years. I got them from an O'Reilley Auto Parts store, carb for a '54 Ford 6 cylinder half ton truck. They had one in stock and the second came in 2 days. They were remanufactures in a real Holley box. Ten years ago they were about $160.00 each.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #15
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by amodel25 View Post
I am running two of the glass bowl type Holleys except with die cast bowls on a 226 in my avatar. It has a reground cam and some other goodies. After I got the bowl leaks resolved (die cast bowls are easier to stop leaking than the glass bowls) I have had no other carb problems in over 10 years. I got them from an O'Reilley Auto Parts store, carb for a '54 Ford 6 cylinder half ton truck. They had one in stock and the second came in 2 days. They were remanufactures in a real Holley box. Ten years ago they were about $160.00 each.
Thanks...

Old 03-02-2018, 04:49 PM   #16
toby

amodel25,
Did you hook up a vacuum to one or both carbs from your distributor?

Last edited by toby; 03-02-2018 at 04:51 PM. Reason: u
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

If there is still a thing such as a real auto parts store (probably harder to find than the gasket) maybe you could look up the base gasket for your carburetor and then see what it also fits. Then go from that list to engine displacements. Good luck.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:20 PM   #18
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
If there is still a thing such as a real auto parts store (probably harder to find than the gasket) maybe you could look up the base gasket for your carburetor and then see what it also fits. Then go from that list to engine displacements. Good luck.

Charlie Stephens
Thanks Charlie...

Toby... It's a crab distributor.. only vacuum was for the wipers..

Old 03-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #19
Ross F-1

The carbs used on the 144/170/200 sixes in the '60's were also a crude piece of work, your analogy of a soda can with some jets is close to the truth. Most were also Load-a-crapic carbs, not that it matters in this case.

The carbs used on 240 and 300 c.i. truck sixes might be a better bet.

Last edited by Ross F-1; 03-03-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Ross F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
STEVE O

I never swapped any on the flathead six but I did swap the glass bowl holley for the autolite off of a 1966 f100 240 six. WOW what a difference. Power wise, no more maybe a little less, smoothness over all other driveability day and night better. Of course reading this you can see how I feel about holleys, none better when you want all out performance but far from the best for overall driveability. Once running correctly those little autolites can't be beat.
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:57 AM   #21
skidmarks

If you like playing with stuff, try a Fish
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:59 PM   #22
flatheadmurre

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
If you like playing with stuff, try a Fish
They look great...but not my first choice for fuel economy..
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:13 PM   #23
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE O View Post
I never swapped any on the flathead six but I did swap the glass bowl holley for the autolite off of a 1966 f100 240 six. WOW what a difference. Power wise, no more maybe a little less, smoothness over all other driveability day and night better. Of course reading this you can see how I feel about holleys, none better when you want all out performance but far from the best for overall driveability. Once running correctly those little autolites can't be beat.
The Holly 847 is the stock carb for my 226... the later Holly 1904 was used for the falcons, etc...

What is the Autolite carburetor model no.?

Old 07-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #24
scicala

"What is the Autolite carburetor model no.? "

The Autolite model 1100 one barrel carb was used on 200 and 240 sixes in the mid 60's.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #25
amodel25

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
amodel25,
Did you hook up a vacuum to one or both carbs from your distributor?
The front carb only. It seems to work good. Good acceleration, runs and idles smooth. Decent economy. I have been told by the experts that it should not work, but I didn't know any better so I guess it did.
amodel25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
Vintage Copper 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
"What is the Autolite carburetor model no.? "

The Autolite model 1100 one barrel carb was used on 200 and 240 sixes in the mid 60's.

Sal
In talking to Charlie NY... I am going to keep with the Holly 847.. Shipped the carburetor to him today for a quality rebuild!