Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
4ford

Smile 2 deuces vers 0ne 4 barrel

any on have a choice over a single 4barrel over 2 deuces?? thinking of wakening up the flat head 46-48 in its stock condition????
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #2
scooder

Default Re: 2 deuces vers 0ne 4 barrel

Mill the heads for 0.050" piston clearance. Or fit some high compression heads. Offy 400's will wake it up.
Higher compression is the best way to wake up an otherwise stock flathead. And pretty much all the added torque is in the rpm range you use in normal driving.
2 2's properly set up against a 4bbl properly set up, your probably not going to feel a difference.
If you gotta buy a new 4bbl and manifold and adaptor to fit all this together, your on your way money wise to a pair of heads.
Your choice, but if I had to chose it would be upping the compression. More torque where you want it and better mpg, what's to lose?
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:13 PM   #3
Krylon32

I've done them both, and for looks I like the 2 deuces on a wide spread early Offenhauser manifold but for sheer drivability and tune ability I like the 4 barrel.
Krylon32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
4ford

ok about the heads. sounds like a good approach, and leave the single carb on the car? I heard its easy to make the two carbs work on the car its three and 4 where the issues come into play? this is why I ask
Old 02-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
scicala

Along with the higher compression heads, you could go with a 3 bolt Ford carb from 1955 or 1956 Fords with the 272 Y-Block V8. These had larger venturi's that were 1 1/16" instead of 15/16" (Holley 94). his will give a little more air flow, and a little more power at higher RPM's. The '55 carbs had a manual choke, and the '56 cabrs had an auto choke. Good rebuildable carbs are on EBAY all of the time. A single carb will save money and work, but does not have the sex appeal of multiple carbs. A lot easier to tune too.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Fe26

As Krylon32 says, 2 carbs on a wide spread inlet manifold where the carbs are directly over the ports is an improvement. MCF did some testing on this arrangement, and with the correct setup (Jets etc.) they gained a 5% fuel efficiency as well as improved performance. And then there's 'that' look, cool.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 06:53 PM   #7
AnthonyG

The choice between 2X2 or 4 Brl is all about cool. The 2x2 set up is the best lookng short of 3 or 4 carbs, however the performance is all about the CFM's delivered. I believe Holley makes the smallest 4 barrel which is in the high 300 CFM range which is about all you stock flatty will handle without too much fuel delivery causing many issues. As was said and I believe you need to do the milling of the heads at the least before entertaining the 2nd Holley 94 or a 4 brl., You really need a cam to open the lifters more to let in more air to accommodate the extra fuel. That being said velocity is another way to go. Some type of high rise setup like a slingshot intake will also increase HP and torque. Something to think about is too much fuel without enough air can wash some the oil from your cylinder walls and shorten the usable life of your engine. If your not going to do the things required to handle the extra fuel as scooder said just mill the heads and leave the single deuce on the car. if you can find a couple inch to say 4" spacer to raise the single deuce higher this will help pep it up also.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
4ford

so ok if I change the heads and leave the single carb it should be good. maybe raise the carb a bit.. and leave the 2 carbs alone or the 4b be anyone know what the cfm on the single carb would be? just a stock one.

thanks for all the info
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
40grit

I would be the first to admit the multi carb set ups are sexy but I will share my experience with the 4 barrell.

I purchased a 390 cfm Holly from speedway and never did get it to accelerate without acting like it had a bad pump. I changed shooter mozzles, pump cams, as well as talking to holly tech support twice.

I eventually went to a 56 buick WCFB which fits the offenhouser manifold without an adapter and have been very pleased. Along with a Chevy distributor and 5 speet trans the car is a joy to drive and will get 22 +/- mpg.

If they aren't fun to drive they aren't fun to own.

John

Old 02-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
Johnnydidd

My 53 Victoria has aluminum heads with 2 dues manifold. I have had trouble with carbs not working properly, ended up blocking off the rear carburetor and installing one new carburetor, it runs so good I hate put the other new carburetor on. I was talking to a friend he suggested putting on the other new rear carburetor blocking it off, hooking all the linkage to make it look like its hooked up. I may do this.
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:28 PM   #11
trainguy

Have a 390 Holley on a 49 merc powered 32 hiboy .Bought the carb from Speedway 4 years ago adjusted it once,works great.Had 2 97s on my 36,drove me crazy took them off and installed a single 97. Phil
trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:35 PM   #12
40grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainguy View Post
Have a 390 Holley on a 49 merc powered 32 hiboy .Bought the carb from Speedway 4 years ago adjusted it once,works great.Had 2 97s on my 36,drove me crazy took them off and installed a single 97. Phil
There is no doubt in my mind my 390 is defective. I have never taken it apart to check it. Only tried to tune it.

I do like the fact that the WCFB is period correct for an early style hot rod though.

John
Old 02-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #13
AnthonyG

Quote:
so ok if I change the heads and leave the single carb it should be good. maybe raise the carb a bit.. and leave the 2 carbs alone or the 4b be anyone know what the cfm on the single carb would be? just a stock one.
the CFM on the 94 will vary as there are several variations, but the range is 165 to 185cfm.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:39 AM   #14
Fe26

[Quote] "If they aren't fun to drive they aren't fun to own. ."
BINGO!
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:18 AM   #15
scooder

High compression and the single stock carb will work nice. You'll probably need to tighten the vacuum brake down a bit.
There are bigger "94" looking carbs out there, fitted to Y blocks. You'd need an 8CM inlet or a bored and sleaved Ford inlet to gain the advantage. A stock Ford inlet won't bore big enough to match the carb.
The ideal size 4bbl is about 450ish cfm, the 390 is a bit small, sure it'll work, just not as well.
Carbs do not deliver cfm, the engine draws cfm.
Martin.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:29 AM   #16
CA Victoria

Link to Ol Ron's Book.
I started with some of the same questions you are asking, Rons book will help you flatten the learning curve. $$ well spent.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rebu...bpQ-_-10:1&r=1
Old 02-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #17
chap52

Not a real technical approach, but i run duel 94's. Ain't going no where real fast with the stock rear end and 3 speed trans in my 52 truck anyway. But the "WOW" factor when I open the hood is worth it, add that to the loping sound of the Howard 3/4 cam.
Growing up I never had the $ to go very technical so reliving the "poor boy" hot rod days is good enough for me. (you know like removing an air cleaner to sound like you have a special intake, or squirting a garden hose into a hot tail pipe to fry out a muffler so it would be louder... I have moved past those old tricks)
It's all about "you" and what you like. Enjoy "your" adventure.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #18
scicala

"There are bigger "94" looking carbs out there, fitted to Y blocks. You'd need an 8CM inlet or a bored and sleaved Ford inlet to gain the advantage. A stock Ford inlet won't bore big enough to match the carb."

The 1955 Holley 2110's had the larger 1 1/16" venturi's, but still had the smaller throttle bores (same as a Holley 94), so shouldn't requiring boring the manifold.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
4t8v8

Got my 390cfm from Speedway over 25 years ago. Haven't had a minute's problem with it. Edelbrock heads, headers, Max 1 cam and electronic ignition (distributor tuned by Bubba's) and the old girl really woke up. Prefer a 4bbl over multiple carbs for tuning purposes.

Last edited by 4t8v8; 02-09-2015 at 01:05 PM.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #20
scooder

Quote:
Originally Posted by scicala View Post
"There are bigger "94" looking carbs out there, fitted to Y blocks. You'd need an 8CM inlet or a bored and sleaved Ford inlet to gain the advantage. A stock Ford inlet won't bore big enough to match the carb."

The 1955 Holley 2110's had the larger 1 1/16" venturi's, but still had the smaller throttle bores (same as a Holley 94), so shouldn't requiring boring the manifold.

Sal
Sal, I do beg your pardon. Didn't know they existed with a big middle and a small bottom. I've seen some but always looked wrong to me, as if someone was swapping parts to make something fit. Never paid mind to them being right.
Thanks for the info.
Martin.