Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2020, 12:11 PM   #1
Oldgearz

Default Does Optima battery charge different

I have a recently acquired 1930 A that has a 6 volt alternator and an Optima 6 volt battery. Battery always seems to be charged, but amp meter never shows much of charging indication. Lights and horn attached to alternator, but amp shows strong negative reading when either are on, even with considerable engine speed. Does the alternator (internal regulator) need to be matched with the Optima battery in some way, or what else is going on. Anyone else using an alternator along with an Optima battery? Thanks for the help.
Oldgearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #2
ryanheacox

Default Re: Does Optima battery charge different

To my knowledge the Optima charges like any other battery when it's in a car. I know some newer battery chargers do have an AGM mode but I'm also not sure how that's different from normal.

If you've been driving it, even for a little while, the battery should be dead if the alternator really weren't charging. I'd suspect the ammeter to be faulty.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:08 PM   #3
Ernie Vitucci

Good afternoon...It would seem to me that one of two things is happening. 1. Your amp meter is hooked up backward. 2. Your alternator is not putting out a charge...If you have a generator that works, put it on and see if you have the same result at the amp meter. Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #4
Jim Baskin III Pa.

Daniel,I'm on my second Optima battery and use a alternator,they charge the same as any other battery.Once my A is started I have to give it a quick rev. to excite the alternator.Upon doing that the amp gauge will go to 10-15 amp for about 30-45 seconds and then go back to 0 amp charging. If I turn the lights on the amp gauge will flicker to about 5 amps and back to 0 amps. The horn does not make the amp move at all. Hope this helps.
Jim Baskin III Pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:04 PM   #5
VinceBlack

I would put a volt meter at alternator and see if voltage increases after starting. With load of lights and Horn at alternator amp meter should not show discharge if alternator is changing, should be around 6.6 to 7 volts with a fully charged battery at fast idle.
VinceBlack is offline   Reply With Quote