Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #21
GB SISSON

Default Re: '40 front fenders

I should be done stripping the frame this afternoon. At that time I will clean up the rubble, sort out some parts and store it away for a few months. I now have the basics to work out a front clip to fit my cowl. I also found a nice set of 700x15 tractions on gray painted landcruiser wheels behind the shop. I know these (at 29" diameter as opposed to almost 32") will fit those fenders better. Thanks for the help with how these parts go together. And thanks for putting up with my offbrand donor.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
51504bat

This could be another use for a jail bar front end?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.jpg (49.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 10-07-2020, 11:16 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Is the hood in post #14 a standard/pickup type hood or a deluxe?
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 10-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #24
Mart

The hood with the broad waterfall trim down the centre is a 41 pickup (only). It's the one you want.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Well it's finally Saturday and I had some time to work out some details.... detail #1 '40 ford stuff doesn't work for what I'm doing. a) the wheelbase difference from 40-42 is 112"- 114". Never mind that 40 stuff like a standard grill is 500 bucks....Since the cab and bed are the same, the 2" comes from front axle placement. Because of this the 42- fenders line up more favorably with the landcruiser axle placement. The whole bit about track width being different by about 2.5 " has now been negated by the fact that solid front axle toyota wheels have less backset, ie deeper dish and stand out further. I had a set with some old school 33 x 9.50 15 tires. Pretty much comparable to the 7.50 x 17s on a tonner. #2 Jailbar tonner stuff does work. The fender itself is the same (with the opening 2" ahead of a 40 type), but the tonner-2 ton fenders (which nobody wants) has a larger cut out from the factory. So with the track width solved by straight axle type toyota truck wheels and the axle forward thing solved by later sheet metal, I am on track to build this strong running 4wd into a regular frankentruck . It is not a build suited to fordbarn, so if I share it online it will most likely be on FTE. I doubt the hamb group would be interested either. The running gear on this toyota is sized about like f350 stuff, (the axles are actually larger dia), and best of all I have it already and a bunch more landcruiser and jailbar stuff stacked up like cordwood behind the shop. Here are a couple pics before I exit. ( I have no intentions of leaving the barn with my multiple real ford projects)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue tonner fender on 1.jpg (75.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Blue tonner fender 2.jpg (79.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg blue tonner fender on 3.jpg (77.3 KB, 52 views)
Old 10-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #26
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Check back in once in a while to keep us updated.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:00 AM   #27
STEVE O

Yes please keep us updated, I personally love seeing your great work. Sorry I am not trying to offend anyone as to being all original, but wonderful to see all those pieces put back in use in a great way. Steve
STEVE O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #28
cas3

you can run it in the antiquated section of the hamb.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:44 PM   #29
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
you can run it in the antiquated section of the hamb.
I thought those guys got all nasty and mean if it wasn't 'pre-war'.... I kind of stopped doing the FTE when way too many builds were mustang 2 front clips and slammed to the basement and 22" wheels. There is a guy on FTE that did a '40 pu on an exploder chassis and it looked real nice, but it had cruise control and airbags and lots of other hi tech stuff that I couldn't get into. I still think FTE. And as for the early V8 world, I really will show up soon with my long anticipated 255 cu in merc build. I am nearing completion of a shop annex with all my good 59ab and 8ba blocks on stands. In the meantime I bolted up a crappy POS center grill section to tie the two fender sections together as a dummy to test fitment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sunday work 55.JPG (148.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg sunday work 55 2.JPG (138.8 KB, 42 views)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #30
flatford8

I like it!!!....I’d appreciate you sending me an update once in [email protected] understand that your project isn’t inline with the scope of this forum but, ...good craftsmanship is just that....and I like the stuff you build....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 03:10 AM   #31
Mart

Well, I for one would really like to see this one coming together. Look at that leaf sprung ladder chassis. Very traditional. Ok it isn't Ford running gear, but I assume all the posts will be about the ford sheetmetal. You're not going to show an engine rebuild or axle refurb. As long as the thread content is Ford, in my eyes it fits.

You're reviving the Ford parts that would have otherwise just been left sitting.

If someone doesn't want to see it, ok. Just skip to the next one. I don't read every thread.

But I'm not the authority.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:02 PM   #32
GB SISSON

Been dragging out more parts and pieces. I had a stack of hoods that looked like an armadillo, and the bottom one was the best. I am a visual person and I have to keep a project looking like progress to keep my interest. I think at this point I also made cab blocks that were 3/4" thicker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 55 hood on 2.jpg (66.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #33
cas3

looks like an old ford to me, keep goin !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #34
deuce5wndw

Keep it coming! I like it!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 09:34 AM   #35
'36 5W

Ditto here!!
'36 5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:56 PM   #36
GB SISSON

Ok, since it's all about that great 42-47 pickup sheet metal, here's where we are today. Sun was shining in front of the shop and I hated all the bent and twisted jailbars on the grill I had so today I pulled the grill shell and got out the torch and heated the nuts to cherry red. Pulled the bars off and ground the paint off. I have one more set of really nice bars in a 5 gallon bucket, along with many other keepers that I save, should I hit a deer in the woodie or the diesel tonner on the way home from town. In 40 years on this island I have smacked my share of them. They sit and graze beside the road for hours and just when a car shows up they decide to cross the road. Not the brightest species.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg total clip 1.jpg (55.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg total clip wide.jpg (76.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg ground grille 1.jpg (70.1 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-31-2020, 07:43 PM   #37
GB SISSON

Nice afternoon, got some time in. I never remember how much work it is to do even marginal jailbars. And these are marginal at best..... Also working out steering and radiator fitment. I need to have my head examined,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1049 (1)nice sideview.jpg (87.5 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg nice front quarter.jpg (101.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-31-2020, 08:49 PM   #38
Zeke3

I think that is going to make a great looking truck. What are you planning behind the cab?
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:16 PM   #39
GB SISSON

Ya know it's kinda funny... I could stretch the frame and make it as a 4wd 1/2 ton pickup, but I have a lot of trucks, all single cabs ( No grandkids or dogs can fit). What if.... Henry saw the writing on the wall about the love of the ww2 set and their jeeps, 4wd and hunting, and instead of letting IH with their scouts and jeep pickups and the CJs and built an early bronco, before the early bronco. My kids (in their 30s) would love to drive their kids around the island on summer visits in the rig they learned to drive in. I'm talking two bench seats , no roof or top *(Phaeton) ?? .... Single doors behind the cowl and an almost roadster /phaeton behind that with a sloping spare tire on the tail end. I really don't need another wood bodied car here for the maintanence, and worry of bad weather. So to answer your question, an open body six passenger open car. Something that would clean the clocks of a bunch of local Hill-climb guys!!
Old 10-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #40
GB SISSON

A couple more pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Japanese Jailbar 1.jpg (87.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Toyota jailbar from side.jpg (81.9 KB, 39 views)