Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #21
WHN

Default Re: Brake Conversion? Or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorseracing View Post
Tell your son that every ten years or more he will be replacing rusted brake lines, fixing leaking wheel cylinders, and master cylinders on a more regular basis. The Model A brakes from the factory will still work the same today as when the car was parked 60 + years ago.
I like this one. I once drove a car out of barn in upstate New York that had been there since the end of WW2. New battery, air in tires, and gas was all that was needed. Didn’t touch the brakes for 15 years. Ran and drove great.

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #22
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorseracing View Post
Tell your son that every ten years or more he will be replacing rusted brake lines, fixing leaking wheel cylinders, and master cylinders on a more regular basis. The Model A brakes from the factory will still work the same today as when the car was parked 60 + years ago.
I’m still trying to figure out what I’m doing wrong after 25 years and 3 hydraulic brake conversions on my Model A’s. Help me here; no leaky lines or wheel cylinders, does not pull side to side when brakes are applied and parts are available at NAPA. So, what am I doing wrong?
Old 09-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #23
KGBnut

The only advantages to hydraulics is fewer points to introduce play in the system, and no need to balance the brakes as carefully.

When all these folks are telling you about a "properly set up system" it sometimes comes off as complicated. It really isn't. It is inspection, a few adjustments, and occasionally, replacing a few parts. For me, it was one Saturday with Pop standing over my shoulder. And we had a great day together. After that, I adjust the brakes once or twice a year, a put a blob of grease at each joint/knuckle.

I now understand my braking system much better as a result (and trust it more).

Most of it you would have to do if you did the conversion anyway.

Ken
Old 09-29-2020, 02:24 PM   #24
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I am perfectly happy with mechanical brakes on my 31 coupe.

It will cost you in the $2,000 neighborhood to convert to juice brakes.

You will need some good advice and a good vendor to help you accomplish a mechanical rebuild. I suggest you get in contact with Randy Gross @714-292-8660. He is an expert on Model A brakes and he also sells brake shoes and drums as well. He can do it all; press in hubs, arch shoes, and set you up for success. Many folks here on Ford Bard have worked with him, me included, and found Randy most helpful and knowledgeable. Best of luck on what ever you decide.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote