Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #1
Tom in TN

Default Changing stock '34 pitman arm -source?

Hey y'all. I'm wanting to change the pitman arm on my '34, from the ball type drag link to a hole for a Heim. I currently am using the ball type (with a Heim on the other end) and I want to get rid of the play/slack that is there with the old style.
I am using a stock '34 steering box, that has been 'blueprinted'. so it's fine, just need to change the way the drag link mounts.
So, the question, does anyone know of a source for the type of pitman arm that I'm wanting? I've exhausted my skills looking at manufacturer's websites and can't come up with one... Hoping you folks know more than me.
TIA
Tom in TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #2
Andy

Default Re: Changing stock '34 pitman arm -source?

An F-1 arm would be a candidate.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:04 AM   #3
KiWinUS

F1 is a ball also.
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:43 AM   #4
big job

Good question; BUT I have seen many used in racing / drag strips on early Fords. I will
say working in a machine shop things come in here you gotta think out of the 'box'...
first; this all revolves around the ID of the heim joint and the root of pitman ball in
which the ball can completely milled off leaving a shaft sized to the heim ID & threaded.
second; if there is enough meat the pitman arm can be drilled & threaded for a stud.
with lock nut on back= heim joint the another lock nut with grade 8 hardware . I would
machine this stud with a shoulder with two threaded ends. Simply high school shop 101.
Then there are new threaded balls, cups and springs are available. Maybe your ball isn't round any more causing binding with flat spots maybe a weak spring. This was
used - cars trucks busses forever to relieve road shock. here's one I machined for a 1950 ford F8 what I mean is see in the picture that ball is threaded into the pitman arm...
I also threaded both sides left and right thread so to center the box then clamped on the drag link. sam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Drag link.jpg (58.4 KB, 56 views)
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:12 AM   #5
Charlie ny
BANNED

Tom,
I just went thru this scenario only '32 Ford w/ F-1 box. I matched up the '32 arm with one from my stash that had the tapered hole for a conventional tie rod end.
I relieved the 3 flats in the splined end and drilled and tapped the other end for a heim. It worked out quite nicely. My method of blueprinting is hold one up against the other and if it looks OK it is OK.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:34 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have modified the splines in the F1 steering arm with a 3-sided file. It doesn't take too long, but it does take a lot of trial and error fitting. The splines are on a bit of a tapper so you need to match the tapper. It is really not that difficult.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote