Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2020, 09:54 PM   #1
srosa707

Default No Oil Pressure in 8BA

Hey fellas. So I've taken a 10+ year hiatus on my coupe '29 project due to LIFE and am just now getting back on it. I had a 59AB that ran good but had 0-2lbs of oil pressure at stop lights. I parked it, built an old chopper, life happened, and now here we are. Instead of dropping coin on a build, I picked up an 8BA from a buddy that had been sitting in his garage for 15 years. Long story short, I swapped water pumps, pulley, generator (12V), checked valves and lifters for movement, and everything looked good. Got it installed and just dropped in a Chevy converted distributor and new coil from Charlie in NY and finally got it fired up today (WOOHOO!)! I noticed the oil gauge didn't budge so I shut it off after about 15 seconds or so. Checked the oil (good), rechecked all lines to make sure I wasn't spraying oil anywhere and they were all good too. Fired it back up for a couple of seconds and still nothing so I shut it down. Also, this motor was pretty sludgy when I took it apart so maybe the oil pump is gummed up?

Now, is there any way to test the pump with the motor still in the car? If not, can I pull the pump with the motor still in the car by dropping the pan? Really hoping to not have to pull everything again to swap it. Not sure If I have to access the idler pulley in front of the pressure plate. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
srosa707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
cadillac512

Default Re: No Oil Pressure in 8BA

You can pull the pump by dropping the pan. Could have a sludge blocked screen or possibly not turning due to a problem with the drive gears you mentioned,but worth dropping the pan first.
No way to test the pump in the car.

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
outlaw

I would hook up a known good mechanical gauge first & see if that reads any pressure. Your factory gauge might be bad. If you have a electric sender, that might be bad, or if your stock gauge is mechanical have you checked to see if the tubing is plugged or has gotten pinched?
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:57 AM   #4
tubman

I had a '51 Mercury engine in storage for at least 20 years. When I finally pulled it out and fired it, it took at least 30 seconds for it to build any oil pressure (this was in 10 second increments with a lot of checking in between). It seemed like an eternity, but on the third or fourth start-up, it finally came up and ran at 55 psi. I think that if they are stored that long, the lose their prime. In retrospect, if I had to do it again, I'd pull the pan and pack the pump like a fresh build.

It's been on the road for about 3 years now with no ill effects.

Last edited by tubman; 09-07-2020 at 05:04 AM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:53 AM   #5
jrvariel48

How about pulling the spark plugs and just crank the motor over?
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:59 AM   #6
flatford8

There’s threads on here about building a pressurizing fixture to pressurize the system. I’d do what has been mentioned and crank it with plugs out a couple times. But, I still think I’d pull the pan for piece of mind. If you you know the motor is sludgy, you’ll probably find plenty there......Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
alanwoodieman

pour some oil down into the oil pump by removing the oil sender or the filter line
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I wouldn't start it again until you figure it out. As suggested, pull the plugs and spin it with the starter.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
srosa707

So I should have mentioned a few things. This motor had the electric sender and I swapped it for the mechanical unit on my previous motor that worked years ago. Ill probably stop by the parts store and grab another gauge just to be sure its not the gauge. Also, prior to starting it a few months ago, I rigged up a pressure system to feed oil back through the sender (see pic) that I pushed about 4 quarts of oil through. I assumed this would have primed it but if its sludged up maybe its not working right anyways.

And since I know we are all visual folks, I included a pic of the coupe, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3476.JPG (123.7 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3539.JPG (251.0 KB, 306 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #10
Kurt in NJ

take out the sender,take out sparkplugs, crank engine, see of it pumps oil out
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #11
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by srosa707 View Post
So I should have mentioned a few things. This motor had the electric sender and I swapped it for the mechanical unit on my previous motor that worked years ago. Ill probably stop by the parts store and grab another gauge just to be sure its not the gauge. Also, prior to starting it a few months ago, I rigged up a pressure system to feed oil back through the sender (see pic) that I pushed about 4 quarts of oil through. I assumed this would have primed it but if its sludged up maybe its not working right anyways.

And since I know we are all visual folks, I included a pic of the coupe, too.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #12
hotrodart

Good lesson in this thread....I pull apart every engine.....new crates as well as previously owned/run. That's the only way to know what you have. There are usually a few surprises in every one.....like loose rod bolts, bad clearances, poor quality "rebuild", etc. and can be fixed before installation.....time well spent.....eliminates lots of headaches.....
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 02:28 AM   #13
69a

You need to open the oil line by removing the pressure gauge. The pump is cavating because the pickup tube is empty. Open up the oil line and crank it over until you get enough oil out to get the sump oil up to the pump.
69a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #14
Aarongriffey

I’ve had that happen a few times.
Take out the spark plugs, add six more quarts of oil to the crankcase, remove the sending unit, pour oil down the galley where the sending unit came out of, crank it over with the starter until oil comes out where the sending unit goes, drain the excess oil out.
I now make sure the oil pump is primed well before installing it.
Fill the ports on the top of the pump with oil and turn the pump drive by hand to see it actually pump oil out the top.
Aarongriffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:44 PM   #15
srosa707

Got it pumping! Like everyone suggested, I pulled the plugs and cranked it over but didn't get any pressure. So I removed the fitting in the back of the block and fed about 3/4 of a quart into the pump. Gave it a few cranks and it started pumping! Got everything put back together and its working great! Just wanted to say thanks fellas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4638.jpg (32.8 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-09-2020, 07:49 PM   #16
flatford8

Nice!!!!!.......I like that coupe!!!!.......good for you!!!.....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:54 PM   #17
tubman

Good to hear it all worked out. There are some anxious moments waiting for the pressure to build; seconds seem to turn to minutes.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:21 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Way to go!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:53 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Been there myself! Great job by you and all the experts that chimed in to help the situation!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:39 PM   #20
srosa707

Thanks guys! Now that I know the motor is a runner I can work on the nick-nack stuff that always seems to pop up on a car thats been sitting. Just in time for spring LOL