Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-26-2020, 09:57 PM   #21
51woodie

Default Re: Assembling Lockheed brakes

The shoes that were on the Lockheed brake on my '46 when I bought it had these numbers printed on the side of the linings.
Short lining: FASA-HD-FF
Long lining: FASA-RX-FF
I removed the assemblies and installed the MT Bendix style brakes.

I used brake lube on the adjusters, where the shoes contact the backing plates, and on the wheel cylinder pins that connect the shoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brake Lube.jpg (24.5 KB, 9 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:07 AM   #22
19Fordy

I am getting the feeling that a clear, complete, definitive explanation of EXACTLY where MT brake shoes can be used is needed including any possible
interchangeability with Lockheed brakes system components (backing plates, drums, hubs, etc.).

One would think that only the OEM brake shoes that came on OEM Lockheed brakes could be used only on Lockheed brakes not on any Bendix brake systems and vice versa.

Am I wrong?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I am getting the feeling that a clear, complete, definitive explanation of EXACTLY where MT brake shoes can be used is needed including any possible
interchangeability with Lockheed brakes system components (backing plates, drums, hubs, etc.).

One would think that only the OEM brake shoes that came on OEM Lockheed brakes could be used only on Lockheed brakes not on any Bendix brake systems and vice versa.

Am I wrong?
You are correct. Completely different design and fitment.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:12 PM   #24
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Am I wrong?
Jim....You're NOT wrong! Lots of confusion here, ME included. Pete has since clarified that we are IN FACT talking about Lockheed backing plates. His exact statement initially was that he bought "new shoes and MT drums from a well respected vendor". I've just looked over the Boling Brothers' site from back to front and they make NO MENTION of selling anything other than BENDIX-type shoes. Boling Bros also have more than 20 "authorized" dealers here in the U.S. (see the link below).

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/partners.html

It's becoming obvious that Pete bought new MT drums and RE-LINED or reproduction Ford/Lockheed brake shoes from some other "well-respected vendor", like perhaps C&G, or Speedway.

Man, we just need to focus on being accurate, concise and disgustingly-complete in our descriptions when describing problems or asking for help. That is one reason that some of my infamous replies here on the forum are so agonizingly-long and drawn-out.....my feeble attempt to paint a picture that leaves nothing to the imagination. Now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:

Am I wrong?
I think the words are being thrown around loosely. You are not wrong, and a lot of the posts on this thread got confused early on! He sent in a pair of original shoes to recovered and now is not sure if they relined his shoes or different shoes. Most likely the linings are oversized so they can be arced to fit, but who knows. If I'm following this at all I think the MT part is the drums. But??
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #26
PeteVS

I spoke with the vendor and he asked me to measure the lining thicknesses and send them back to him to be reground a bit thinner. I almost threw out the box that they came in with today's recycling pickup.
Old 08-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #27
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
Yes, I'm using LOCKHEED brakes.
That's your problem. Go with the Bendix brakes!
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 03:04 PM   #28
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
That's your problem. Go with the Bendix brakes!
The Lockheeds actually work quite well on the rear when used in conjunction with the Bendix MTs on the front. Ya gotta remember that rear brakes don't do near the braking that the front brakes must do. Quite a few folks here on the 'Barn will attest to this. This would apply even more so on a light Model A or T-type car. It is possible to end-up with TOO much braking force in the rear during a panic stop, especially if the front and rears are not tuned to work together as a system. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote