Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2015, 08:55 AM   #1
53RYDER

Default Model AA versus Model A?

So there's a 1929 Model AA Truck in a local Model A club newsletter for sale.
I was wondering about the differences between a 'AA' truck versus an 'A' truck?

I gather that the AA truck was designed to carry heavier loads than an A, had a 4 speed tranny and early models had an worm gear rear end, limiting the top speeds; plain interior. So far so good?

So if one were to purchase an AA truck would parts be harder to find, since I'm guessing less AA trucks made than A trucks? Or am I wrong? Or would "certain" parts be tough to come across?

Just trying to have a conversation in my own mind about whether or not it would be worthwhile to buy an AA as opposed to an A.

Any thoughts?

Glenn (newbie)
53RYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #2
Royce P

Default Re: Model AA versus Model A?

AA trucks are much more huge than a Model A pickup truck. You need to consider whether you have room to fit one in your garage.

AA trucks were made in fewer numbers. Few are restored because they are difficult to garage and to transport. They don't fit in the average enclosed trailer, and they don't fit on the average car trailer either.

AA trucks are geared for lower speeds, another consideration. Are you going to be happy cruising at 35 - 45 MPH? Of course there are aftermarket solutions to increase the speed, for a price.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #3
2manycars

The 28 AA had a 3 speed transmission and low geared worm drive rear end. It had 20 inch wire spoke wheels. The 29 AA had a 3 speed transmission and came either with a low geared worm drive rear, or a slightly higher geared rear, with an auxiliary transmission called a Dual High, which was an underdrive for heavy loads. The early 30 AA used the same cab and fenders as the 29 until June 1930, when the new cab was fitted. It had much bigger brakes, Budd wheels with optional dual rears, a 4 speed transmission, and a hypoid gear rear end. The later 30 and 31 had the new cab, but was the same chassis as the early 30.
Photos are 28, 29, early 30, late 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AF11_r249_01.jpg (68.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpeg images.jpeg (9.9 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpeg images-1.jpeg (9.6 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpeg images-2.jpeg (11.9 KB, 111 views)
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #4
53RYDER

Good thoughts! Especially about will it fit in my garage? Thanks!

Glenn
Old 11-29-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Farrell In Vancouver

I'm The custodian of both, a 28' special coupe and a 31'AA. The coupe is still the faster more comfortable ride, but to drive the truck is a blast. Part on the 29' AA are not hard to find with a few exceptions. U joints a worm drive components. Like any early Ford, the parts that wear the most are hardest to locate. Not a big deal with the model. A as there is a huge after market to support you. With the AA, not all drive line components are readily available. Carefully evaluate the truck before you buy,and if it drives well,and stops well, the rest is pretty much the same as the Model A pick up. Cheers!
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

A truck is 1/2 ton and the AA truck is 1 1/2 ton payload.

As mentioned the AA truck is big and heavy, and slower, but would be nice to own on a farm.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:57 AM   #7
53RYDER

Just thinking about taking stewardship of something like this and keeping it going for a few more years until I pass it along to the next car lover guy or gal!

Glenn
Old 11-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #8
1932BB

Take it for a spin! You will find out if you are a "truck guy" or not.
1932BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manycars View Post
The 28 AA had a 3 speed transmission and low geared worm drive rear end. It had 20 inch wire spoke wheels. The 29 AA had a 3 speed transmission and came either with a low geared worm drive rear, or a slightly higher geared rear, with an auxiliary transmission called a Dual High, which was an underdrive for heavy loads. The early 30 AA used the same cab and fenders as the 29 until June 1930, when the new cab was fitted. It had much bigger brakes, Budd wheels with optional dual rears, a 4 speed transmission, and a hypoid gear rear end. The later 30 and 31 had the new cab, but was the same chassis as the early 30.
Photos are 28, 29, early 30, late 30.
Q: Was it an AA (early '30)then that was used on the Walton Mtn. show
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:51 PM   #10
Doug in Maryland

I think the best thing you could do is drive it. The AA's are a lot different compared to the cars and light trucks in how they drive and ride. They are also more unique in that, as many have rightly observed, there are fewer around and could have been customized for a particular line of business depending on the company or person who owned it. Parts in general can be had. If there is something a bit more on the unique side, there are plenty of AA guys around who would be more than likely quite willing to lend a hand. The idea of taking stewardship of something like this is a great one and I think that's reason enough, but that's just me. For what it's worth, my 131" wheelbase stake bed truck fits comfortably in a garage that is 24' long.

Good luck and post some pictures if you get a chance!
Doug in Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #11
1930artdeco

Glenn,

They are going ride badly unless weighted down-just the way they were designed. There is the AA forum as well you may want to check out ask questions.

Mike
Old 11-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #12
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A truck is 1/2 ton and the AA truck is 1 1/2 ton payload.

As mentioned the AA truck is big and heavy, and slower, but would be nice to own on a farm.
The pickup was rated at 1/4 ton, the AA was one ton with single rear wheels, and 1-1/2 tons with duals.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 09:24 PM   #13
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post
Glenn,

They are going ride badly unless weighted down-just the way they were designed. There is the AA forum as well you may want to check out ask questions.

Mike
the few model A's ive ridden in ive noticed the seat bottom is a crucial piece of suspension...i couldn't imagine being in one with a modern car seat.

I had the extreme pleasure of getting to ride in crosscut's 29 AA which is a clone to the one I'm restoring and i didn't feel it rode bad or any harsher than a standard 30 pickup. The only weight he had was the grainbox sides on it and i thought it rode very well.
Old 11-30-2015, 06:56 AM   #14
53RYDER

I emailed the owner and found out that the truck would actually fit in my garage, 200 inches long and 73 inches tall. Guess I'll have to take the next step and take it for a test ride.

Glenn
Old 12-01-2015, 10:08 PM   #15
53RYDER

So here's a question, pardon me for asking because I don't really know.

Over on "aaFords.com" on the home page it says "AA Fords is devoted to the 1-1/2 ton Fords AA Trucks". So what does the "1-1/2 ton" refer to? The weight of the truck itself? Or the weight of the load the truck can haul?

Glenn (newbie to all things Model A)
Old 12-01-2015, 10:28 PM   #16
1crosscut

It is tied to what the truck can haul. The Ford TT trucks were rated 1 ton and the Ford AA trucks are all rated at 1 1/2 tons. My truck has the optional overload springs that reportedly bring it up to a 2 1/2 ton rating. Not that my truck will ever be hauling heavy loads as it's working days are long past.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:37 PM   #17
53RYDER

Gotcha Dave! Thanks for the info.

Glenn
Old 12-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
Pete16

I own a late 1930 AA Express single wheel long running boards and the high speed rear end. When I first got it, I drove it as my daily runner. It was my go to ride. I just love driving it. The parts I find hard to get are rear fenders (they are different than pickup fenders) the jack shaft and gear and budd wheels. The jack shaft is the small drive shaft between the transmission and the rear enclosed drive shaft. On the transmission end, there is a male gear that fits into the female end of the jack shaft, they wear if not greased often. They are also hard to find. I'm am sure as time goes on someone will start making them, both the shaft and the gear. Budd wheels, I just don't like them if they are rusted. They don't call them widow makers for nothing.
Pete16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:23 AM   #19
John Duden

I just finished restoring my early 28 AA. I love to drive it and have put on about 600 miles since its completion in april. While it is not very fast (25-30) the enjoyment of driving it is great. A truck i have noticed at a show will draw a little more attention, i dont know if it is becuase there is not as many around or if it is becuase it is the original "work truck"
John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11112876_1569010166720718_926565087379676383_n.jpg (40.9 KB, 23 views)
John Duden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
Fdohnke

You can't go wrong on this one, I have a different favorite every week! Go get it, drive it, tinker with it and share it with your friends!
Fdohnke is offline   Reply With Quote