Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #21
sphanna

Default Re: Merger again considered, Credible opinions requested

I look forward with great anticipation To both magazines. I like the idea of 2 clubs. I am more into touring news and events. So I enjoy more articles in Restorer than Model A News but both are valuable to me. If I was more interested fine point restoration, I would not be as satisfied with only Restorer. The 2 clubs are different and I like that for the sake that people have different interests. Also the clubs are widly separated geographically. Where would "Ground Zero" be for tours and "meets" be? I see no advantage in mergering. If there was no clear difference in focus, both groups interests would be diluted. There is ample room for both clubs, I think. I like choices.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
newshirt

I don't belong to either club. After four years in the hobby, the clubs still seem frustratingly irrelevant to my hobby experience. But I'm probably missing something, so I keep looking for something to align with. I really want to join and contribute somehow.

As an outsider, I too was struck by the redundancy and wondered why the clubs didn't merge. But Tom and Brent and probably right. Independent thought promotes health and vitality. Merge... and they die of suffocation.

But I suspect one club will eventually swallow the other anyway. It will likely be the one that aligns itself with newer owners and modern technology. I don't see either club doing that yet. But one eventually will. And then I will probably join.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #23
BlueSunoco

Kevin-Illinois did a poll on this here in Aug. 2010. That sampling said 'yes' by two to one. Only 153 voted.

ctvpa asked this about a year ago, went to 104 posts!

I have to say that at this point, I'd say leave them separate. Benefits in having 2 separate clubs. Only 'drawback' to belonging to both is I run out of room to store the magazines! They pile up fast but I still go back and re-read old issues

I do believe MAFCA will hit 15,000 members in '15 they seem to be growing faster than MARC, at least going in the right direction?? Model A News is a great magazine I don't want to see MARC shrink though.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #24
mhsprecher

I belong to both. There may be duplication, but it is great having two magazines. As long as there are people to volunteer and keep the clubs operating, I don't see a problem. When I was a teenager and really could only afford to join one club, it was MAFCA. I have no idea why, but that is what I did. Now I can afford it and I am happy to belong to both. Some people like one club and not the other. I guess I am not astute enough to have a preference.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:47 PM   #25
WestCoast

it will never happen, its a matter of ego's, neither heads of the boards want so lose the power or prestige of the position they hold,
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:02 PM   #26
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I belong to both. There may be duplication, but it is great having two magazines. As long as there are people to volunteer and keep the clubs operating, I don't see a problem. When I was a teenager and really could only afford to join one club, it was MAFCA. I have no idea why, but that is what I did. Now I can afford it and I am happy to belong to both. Some people like one club and not the other. I guess I am not astute enough to have a preference.
Yes, there is duplication alright...But only in the "advertisements" that I can see. Are there others? Other than that each magizine, The Restorer (MAFCA) and Model A News (MARC) has something diferent to offer in each issue.

I belong to both clubs, have since about 1977 and still like both magizines. One comes during the odd months (The Resotrer) and the other comes during the even months (Model A News)...well it did till Helen got under the weather but I am sure that someday soon they will get back on schedual.

Both magizines cater to all aspects of the hobby, and not just one part of it.

The way I like to do my articles is not only for the "purist at heart" and not only for the Judging Standards but for those who wish to know the evolution of a part (especially the newbies and neophytes in this hobby) and then it is up to him or her or whoever to choose which way to go from there when applying it to their Model A/AA Ford.

I know there are lots of you out there who have great experience and knowledge yourselves, of which four of you have posted on this thread already. Write an article or two and contrubuite your knowledge and expertice to the hobby...what are you afarid of?

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 01-24-2015 at 07:48 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #27
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
And the "Need To Know", is ??
I feel we all have a rite to know how our dues are spent. Just like donating money to a cause, I want to know how that money is spent. What do people get paid, what expences are covered, etc. If an organization hides this information, then there is a reason to hide it. If they are spending our dues wisely, then there should be no reason to release an annual report to the membership.
After all, we are the club members.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #28
ctvpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
it will never happen, its a matter of ego's, neither heads of the boards want so lose the power or prestige of the position they hold,
I am concerned that this is the major reason. I also feel this is a concern why they will not release an annual report.
To the people who say that they belong to both, a merger would reduce your yearly dues by 50%
To those who say that they are sick and tired of this subject, I will reply, if the subject is brought up so often, then many people have the same concerns. That is why you hear about it so often.
I will keep people informed of the results.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:21 PM   #29
springerpete

I belong to both, enjoy both publications and whatever events I can take part in. There already is a "meeting of the minds" in the museum and MAFII.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:27 PM   #30
Jim Mason

So...the single head of the combined clubs would have LESS ego, power problems than now?
Old 01-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
When the Polar Bears move to Key West Florida, It might happen..
I agree! Too many egos!
Old 01-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #32
Dave in MN

I belong to both Clubs and like receiving two publications. I intend to remain a member of both. The money spent on two memberships is a choice I prioritize.
Good Day.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:01 PM   #33
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvpa View Post
I feel we all have a rite to know how our dues are spent. Just like donating money to a cause, I want to know how that money is spent. What do people get paid, what expences are covered, etc. If an organization hides this information, then there is a reason to hide it. If they are spending our dues wisely, then there should be no reason to release an annual report to the membership.
After all, we are the club members.
Well, I do get 12 Magazines a year, that breaks down to about $6.66 an issue out of the $40.00 dues for each club...That $6.66 is less than a six pack of beer, and we all know what happens to it.. At least I get to keep the magazines. I don't care what they do with the change left over as I have enjoyed both of them going on 50 years..
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #34
sphanna

Fred, You have hit it on the head. I was going to post almost exactly your point. I cannot understand why some are so concerned over such trivia. Some people are always looking to see how they are being cheated or victmized. Reminds me of a certain community organizer who thinks everybody is out to getcha. I sincerely appreciate those in both clubs that give so much of their time, talant,& expertise for so little thanks. No body in either club is in it for the money. This is a service to the hobby that few of us are commited enough to do ourselves. My thanks to MARC and MAFCA for your contributions to this hobby.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #35
Flathead

I belong to both clubs, what would be gained by having them merge? Instead of having two choices you would have only one choice for a club to join, take it or leave it. We are fortunate to have two large established clubs serving our hobby.
OR
You could pretend they did merge...just join one, the results will be the same. Then if you get upset with that club you would still have an alternative, something you won't get if there really was a merger.
Flathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:38 AM   #36
Steve Plucker
BANNED

CTVPA,

Just what "other Model A Fourms" have you asked this question?

"I have posted this an several Model A based sites, and the overwhelming response is that members support a merger to one club".

Can not find your post on any other "Model A based sites".

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:03 AM   #37
fiddlybits

When I started work on my A I joined both.
I like MARC. I demanded a refund from MAFCA.
there is a completely different attitude and hospitality to each club.
MARC has that friendly mid-western social approach and will directly answer questions.
MAFCA told me "that question has already been answered" and I "should buy this or that". In business I call this the SCA (Southern California Attitude).
so long as this difference exsists there will never be a merger. (And if it were to happen I doubt I would not be alone in not being a member of the resulting club.)
fiddlybits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:57 AM   #38
Steve Wastler

I belong to both, hope like heck they always stay separate! Both are healthy, strong, and been here a long time, I see no need to change what works!!
Steve Wastler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 AM   #39
Royce P

If the clubs merge do I still get 12 magazines a year? If the answer is no then it's a hard sell.
1917 Torpedo Runabout
Royce P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #40
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

This thread reminds me of the Service Organizations that existed at the beginning and exist today. It started as one and then went to two, how many do we have now? Six, seven, eight ???? and the reason why..........................Mike in Florida said the reason....too many EGOS!!!!!!!!!!! IMO.

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote