Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #1
Jim

Default another scam

I was almost scamed by this ad on craigslist for a 40 deluxe cpe very low price. they turned down cash but to go thru ebay motors support with a bank wire transfer. I did some checking and found many scams going on almost word for word. so beware. If it's too good to be true it probably is. Thanks Jim
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: another scam

Jim, What add might that be?

Glad you didn't get "hooked".

Last edited by 19Fordy; 03-26-2018 at 01:18 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
tubman

If eBay isn't all over this, they sure should be.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #4
TJ

The first clue is the fact the car is on Craigslist and why would they insist you send money via e-Bay. They have obviously set up some type of account using the e-Bay name. account is probably overseas and probably in Nigeria. I would be notifying e-Bay on this so they can chase it down. It's bad publicity for e-Bay if they don't get it stopped and the crook prosecuted.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
mhsprecher

There was a Model T here locally that had the same language. I reported it to CL. It eventually disappeared, but it took a while.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:12 PM   #6
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
I was almost scamed by this ad on craigslist for a 40 deluxe cpe very low price. they turned down cash but to go thru ebay motors support with a bank wire transfer. I did some checking and found many scams going on almost word for word. so beware. If it's too good to be true it probably is. Thanks Jim
This isnt the same POS coupe that keeps popping up.for sale on south jersey craigslist?

The ad makes little to no sense and the car looks like a turd
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Steve in Denver

What city was the ad posted in? I would like to see if it is similar to the 1936 5 window ad that was posted in Salt Lake City some time back. There was always an excuse why you could not go actually see the car, working too many hours, father/husband died, in another city. I think the seller's name was Gloria.
Steve in Denver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
tomkowal

i had a friend that the same thing happened to him on a tractor he wanted to buy on craigslist, it was a total scam
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
Jim

Her name was evalyn and the add was posted on cl in deep east texas. It was still there this AM. Jim
Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 AM   #10
19Fordy

Is this the car? Price seems awfully low.
https://cenla.craigslist.org/cto/d/1...537338072.html
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
Hoop

Every time these "scam" threads come up, I worry about you guys.

Of course, it's a bogus ad. Whether it's malicious or not, can't tell ... but why are you wasting any serious time on it.

First off ... you need to have enough internet savvy to check out the ad.

Take this one. Google up "1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe" and add "flathead crackling" which is an unusual phrase used in the ad. One of the search results (with that phrase and pic) will be:

https://www.myclassicgarage.com/vehi...d-deluxe-coupe

It is a legitimate ad that was the source for the bogus one. The car is SOLD ... the sellers phone number is still there but the price is gone. Call them if you just want to chat.

I don't know the motives of the people posting fake ads. Maybe they are just screwing with you ... or it may be a genuine scam. My advice is to stop trying to buy stuff off the internet unless you can keep yourselves out of trouble.

Please excuse my frankness, but your posts already indicate you are vulnerable to being scammed.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:55 AM   #12
cas3

if its a craigslist add with no phone # i just ignore it.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #13
skidmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Every time these "scam" threads come up, I worry about you guys.

Of course, it's a bogus ad. Whether it's malicious or not, can't tell ... but why are you wasting any serious time on it.

First off ... you need to have enough internet savvy to check out the ad.

Take this one. Google up "1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe" and add "flathead crackling" which is an unusual phrase used in the ad. One of the search results (with that phrase and pic) will be:

https://www.myclassicgarage.com/vehi...d-deluxe-coupe

It is a legitimate ad that was the source for the bogus one. The car is SOLD ... the sellers phone number is still there but the price is gone. Call them if you just want to chat.

I don't know the motives of the people posting fake ads. Maybe they are just screwing with you ... or it may be a genuine scam. My advice is to stop trying to buy stuff off the internet unless you can keep yourselves out of trouble.

Please excuse my frankness, but your posts already indicate you are vulnerable to being scammed.
Some of the elder barn guys might not be the internet guru's that others project themselves as. I see no harm in asking the question
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 03:57 PM   #14
Jim

19fordy: that is the ad. and to others that commented, I am a little comp. savy and Idid google it found a lot of stuff about this. Thanks everyone for replying. Jim
Old 03-27-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Jim

Hoop: thats the one. and discriptions are word for word. Jim
Old 03-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #16
Hoop

"Hoop: thats the one. and discriptions are word for word. Jim"

Jim, exactly. Most of these fake ads are copied from somewhere else on the internet. If you search adding key words or phrases from the fraud ad, you'll usually find the original.

If you don't trust a Craigslist ad, Google search for example, "1935 Ford Coupe for sale craigslist." Usually you will find the same bogus ads in distant parts of the country. Odd or low prices are other indicators.

I'm not telling anyone not to post here, but I am clearly saying, "Be careful unless you can sniff the rotten ads out." Don't try to match wits with these assholes. You are better off avoiding all contact if the ad is suspicious. Being clever with them like having them send you a check is only exposing you further.

If you have an ad that you are not sure of, Ford Barn is here.

Skidmarks ... careful with the "elder barn guys" stuff. I'm very sensitive.
Old 03-27-2018, 07:11 PM   #17
jim1932

The other one the comes up it the person selling for cheap saying they are being deployed to Afghanistan.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 AM   #18
barnfind

Very difficult to tell if a CL ad is not a scam without a landline phone number.
If the price is too good to be true most likely it is not.

I have finally decided the only way to sell via CL is to put your phone # in the ad but use words instead of numbers for a few characters and be prepared to text with most responders. Folks tend to believe the ad is legitimate if they can text with someone it seems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ResembleRemark.jpg (13.9 KB, 45 views)
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #19
36 ford

Here's another ...same location

https://cenla.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=1935+ford

From a Jennifer Otter... notice grammatical errors

I'm selling this, because my husband died a month ago in a bike accident and keeping it really hurts me, because it brings me memories. I decided to sell it for $13,700 because I want to see my husband happy up there. He always wanted to help people and he loved to see them smiling. I want you to consider this price as a gift from o woman who loved a priceless man. I really want to be on good hands and the money at this time for me are not important just necessary.

It is located in Mason City, NE. Currently, it has no damage or hidden defects. It is in immaculate condition, meticulously maintained. I have clear title, without liens or loans on it, everything is under my name.

I want to use eBay Motors services (5 days of testing prior purchase) for the safety of both of us, so if you’re interested in purchasing, please provide me your full name for the bill of sale, your full address and a phone number so I can notify eBay that you're selected as my possible buyer, and they will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

I've opened my soul and I hope you'll understand! Thank you!

Last edited by 36 ford; 04-02-2018 at 08:09 AM.
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #20
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I had a car for sale on Crags list and they use this. I work on off shore drilling rig and wanted to use Pay Pal but had to go through a person in Texas and I had to go to Walmart and send money to the person in Texas in order to get the check for the car. A Scam I did not fall for it.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #21
red coupe

That black 40 Ford coupe was for sale at Art and Speed ,a consignment type place here in Collierville Tn ( near Memphis ). A buddy and I went to look at it. It wasn't near as good as the pictures indicated. They wanted $44900 for a $25000 car. There is a famous line from the 1965 movie The Flim Flam Man starring George C Scott and I think of it every time I see a scam ad like this one," You can't cheat an honest man". Later Bill
red coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
36 ford

See update on my comment below
36 ford is offline   Reply With Quote