Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
31 Woody

Default Rear end gear oil

According to Les Andrews book, 600W is required for the rear end. Seems the local auto parts stores don't stock that. Ideas on where to get it? I know Snyders sells it but if I can get it locally that would be preferred. It would be nice if I could just use 85w-140 because I can get that!
31 Woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Rear end gear oil

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43473

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11037

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86958

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5050

....are just a few places where this has been discussed.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You can get 600W from Grangers part number 4DNJ6, Viscosity Index 95, ISO Viscosity Grade 460, Viscosity 460 cSt @ 40 C, Viscosity 30.5 cSt @ 100 C, Flash Point 282 C, Pour Point -9 C), Brown
01/26/2013# 1268
Old 07-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #4
Terry, NJ

The purpose of the thick oil/grease is to keep the oil in the case/housing. Altough I put 85/140 in my rear with no problems so far. 600w is just a name! The 600 has nothing to do with viscosity! It took me a while to get my head wrapped around that, Why would they? Anyway, they did! 600w has the viscosity of about 260/280. As I said 600 stays in the casings pretty well, it won't leak through the gaskets. Also in the transmission, it slows the gears down to shift. Also. modern gear oils are for hypoid cut gears, not the straight cut gears of a mod. A. I can't explain the differences, but there is a difference. The watch words to always keep in mind is "The best oils of 1930 are not as good as the lowest quality oils of today!" We've come a long way and yes you should use detergent oil in your engine!
Terry

Last edited by Terry, NJ; 07-14-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
The purpose of the thick oil/grease is to keep the oil in the case/housing. Altough I put 85/140 in my rear with no problems so far. 600w is just a name! The 600 has nothing to do with viscosity! It took me a while to get my head wrapped around that, Why would they? Anyway, they did! 600w has the viscosity of about 260/280. As I said 600 stays in the casings pretty well, it won't leak through the gaskets. Also in the transmission, it slows the gears down to shift. Also. modern gear oils are for hypoid cut gears, not the straight cut gears of a mod. A. I can't explain the differences, but there is a difference. The watch words to always keep in mind is "The best oils of 1930 are not as good as the lowest quality oils of today!" We've come a long way and yes you should use non detergent oil in your engine!
Terry
Say what?????????

Not in any of my 4 cycle engines. Only to be mixed with gas for the 2 cycle engines.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

Question: are modern rear end gears cut different than model A ring and pinion?
This is a serious question , as I don't know.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
Question: are modern rear end gears cut different than model A ring and pinion?
This is a serious question , as I don't know.
Yes, the Model A ring and pinion lie in the same plane, while most modern rear ends have the pinion gear below the centerline of the ring gear. Thus the modern gears have a different shape and have more of a wiping action as the pinion gear spins against the ring gear. So you need an oil that can stand the pressure and wiping action.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #8
Terry, NJ

Sorry for the typo, Tom! I edited it out! Ever since I scooped the sludge out of my new engine, I am a firm believer in detergent oil. The screen on my oil pump was almost completely clogged with sludge. Thanks again for bringing this to my attention.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Say what?????????

Not in any of my 4 cycle engines. Only to be mixed with gas for the 2 cycle engines.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Purdy Swoft

The last time that gear oil came up, many of us agreed that 90-140 would work good. I used 90-140 in my model A's in the 60s because I could buy it local. My dad said it was good so that was enough for me.I have also used the gear oil from Snyders and Brattons and it is said that they mix 140 with STP and sell it as 600 W. Six hundred is not the weight but the name for the steam oil that was used in the day. When using the lighter lube or anytime, be careful not to overfill. when adding lube on level ground, if you can bend your finger and touch the lube with the first finger joint, this will be good. Any more lube above the finger joint measure. will cause leaks and can cause gear lube on the brake lining.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
George Miller

I have been using regular 90 or 120 weight in my model A's since my first one in 1960. Never ever had a rear end or transmission problem. "Knock on wood"
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote