Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
flatheadpete

Default Re: Hot rod T sedan

Guys,
Don't get me wrong. I fully appreciate damn near any old car. I'd love to have a stock A or T. Do I gave the patience to maintain one for how often I would drive it? Probably not. I do, however, have the skills, tools, friends, and knowhow to build a period correct hot rod. Nothing on this car will be newer than 1958 (save from the new steel for the frame and 5 spd). It will run friction shocks (Rolls Royce!), drum brakes, F1 steering, all Ford suspension, and I will fabricate everything I need with basic tools. I stick weld. I grind by hand with files. I play a 1950's record player in the garage. It will be right. I promise. Don't be mad at me. Alot of guys my age (34) could care less. I care more. I do my part to keep old cars on the road. My NEW car is from 1951. It gets driven all day, every day. I want another hot rod. I will have another.

Last edited by flatheadpete; 05-20-2010 at 08:13 PM.
flatheadpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 04:39 AM   #22
Graham 37

Yes, let's keep the various aspects separate.

Graham
Graham 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #23
Ford46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Pete,

You are sadly correct in the finance dept. It goes to reinforce the dedication of the restorer to preserving a bit of history even if it is not financially viable.
If you choose the right antique the story can be different. Check out a couple of Ts for sale right now on the HCCA classified site.

I certainly advocate "to each his own" & thought the old Fordbarn section on customs & rods was great. It appears when we check out that section now it takes us to another site which deals with customs, etc. in general (very well I might add!). Ryan -- it appears there is not actually a Rod & Custom FORD site!! It is needed on the Fordbarn .
I believe the intent was that the Hot Rods were to be on the HAMB. I've seen several of Ryan's posts were he mentioned this (Fordbarn) was a original car type forum. LouB
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #24
flatheadpete

More progress in ressurecting Henry's finest.....nevermind.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #25
flatheadpete

Got the windshield removed. 80 yr old flathead screws are terrible. But I only broke one. The frame is coming along nicely. Need to get new wnidow seals (all of them) and possibly a w/shield frame. All but one (rf) window regulates are there. Next week, it's a roller and floor fab begins!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 PM   #26
jackdaron

Sadly,I remember when Ford Barn was a good place to visit. Now it is something ,I don't know. You just can't mix people who destroy cars with restorers.
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #27
s1b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack daron View Post
Sadly,I remember when Ford Barn was a good place to visit. Now it is something ,I don't know. You just can't mix people who destroy cars with restorers.
I agree! This is a place for restorers!
I will say though, Hot rodders don't destroy cars.
I like both, restored and hot rodded cars. You know what they say about opinions?????
Anyway, yes this place is for restorers! Oh and putting a B engine in a Model A is not restoring, that's more along the lines of hot rodding.
s1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 PM   #28
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1b View Post
I agree! This is a place for restorers!
I will say though, Hot rodders don't destroy cars.
I like both, restored and hot rodded cars. You know what they say about opinions?????
Anyway, yes this place is for restorers! Oh and putting a B engine in a Model A is not restoring, that's more along the lines of hot rodding.

I agree with most of your thinking. But how many 80 to 100 year old hot rods have you seen? A hot rod seems to evolve & eventually developes into something entirely different & in the end just seems to fade into other cars. The restored car, given a chance, may well be around in its original form forever. The car under my name is a good example, it has survived 106 years with its original paint,, most of the original leather & essentially all of the original mechanical parts. The model A with a B engine is easily returned to stock & most people would know that it was a B engine (fuel pump hole gives it away).

It all boils down to the fact that it is your car & you can do whatever makes you feel fulfilled with it.

The fiberglass or new steel rod bodies are often a better way to go than altering an original car from what I have seen. Everybody wins in that case.

I often used to visit the rod & custom section of the old Fordbarn & found it interesting. The hot rod group needs to contact Ryan to form their own Fordbarn Forum for Ford customs & rods, it would likely work well.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:23 PM   #29
s1b

Believe me, I hate seeing a rare car getting destroyed by "rodding" it.
There is a guy on a other forum who is taking a higher end mid 30s Nash 3 window coupe (I forget what they called them)and rodding it. The guy and many others say they never seen one.He also said he checked with the Nash club and they only know of 2 others in North America. Its a VERY RARE car! Oh and its complete. In that situation it pisses me off. I know its not my car,,,,,but.

Like I said though. I like both, restored and rodded!
s1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #30
Ford46

Jack, they already have a site. If you click on the hot rod and custom choice you are sent there. I think this guy is having fun with everyone, he is installing a special "top secret" insert on a 1927 T body and thinks he is ressurecting one of Henry's finest by building a homemade frame, installing a GM rear end and a Stude engine with a five speed. I for one have decided let him have at it and have a ball.......See ya!
Ford46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:26 PM   #31
flatheadpete

funny... This blasphemous posta has more responses than any other in the T section... Back to work keeping old cars from the wrecking yard.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #32
decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadpete View Post
And, I've been on the HAMB for 7 yrs. spreading the gospel of TRADITIONAL HOT RODS.
And that's where as Ryan has said... it actually belongs
decker is offline   Reply With Quote