Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
johnsor

Unhappy Glass Wind Wings

On the open highway, I run my 30 roadster at about 55+ mph but I guess the design of the repro wind wing brackets (2 clamps & a rubberized material) will not handle the resulting wind pressure on the wind wing glass at those speeds. Today, I lost another one on the highway and I didn't even bother stopping to look for the pieces.

I need to solve this problem. With new glass again, I'll drill & tap the four inner clamps for a 8-32 ss set screw. Then with an appropriate diamond drill size, drill a clearence hole thru the glass to then secure them with 8-32 x 1/2" ss set screws. This should lock the glass in.

Any thoughts or comments? John

johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
MCHinson

Default Re: Glass Wind Wings

There is a lot of different quality windwing hardware out there. I bought mine from Brattons and I have put a couple of thousand miles or so on my Phaeton (a lot of it at 55 mph and a little at over 55 mph) and I have never lost a windwing.

On a prior Model A, I was always having troubles with the brackets. Those clamps were clearly not as well made as the ones that I have now.
MCHinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Phred

Putting a mechanical fastener through the glass will keep the glass in place, however....

If your glass is tempered glass, drilling it will reduce it to crumb sized pieces. You will need to have the holes drilled in the glass prior to the tempering (heat treating) of the glass.

If your glass is laminated glass, it can be drilled, but there is a chance of the glass cracking at the hole from the pressure of the hardware squeezing on the glass. A hole in annealed glass is a weak spot.

Perhaps using an adhesive in place of the rubber pads. A rear view mirror adhesive may provide a near permanent bond. Others may chime in with experience in this matter.
Phred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 AM   #4
johnsor

Thanks for your advice. You apparently know more about glass than I do. I think your suggestion of useing rear view mirror adhesive will work best. However, I'll make a good temporary holding fixture to align the glass properly with the clamp as once the glass touches the adhesive, there's no moving it around. Its sure great to have this forum. John
Old 08-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
johnsor

Smile Re: Glass Wind Wings

I took my "A" with the remaining wing window down to a local commercial glass shop. They said that most any auto store adhesive would not work well over time, including rear view mirror cement. They said that VHB tape (very high bond) should be used between the glass and brackets. This double faced tape is made by 3M and is formulated for installing large panes of glass in office buildings and is normally only available to the professional glass/window trade. Useing my remaining wing window for a pattern, they will make an identical match with laminated safety glass having the proper Ford edge bevel and corner radius's and some installation VHB tape for only about twenty bucks.

Maybe our "A" part suppliers will read this post and look into it further as the double sided tape they normally supply with their expensive wind window hardware kits does not work well.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #6
Larry Seemann

I mounted my wind wings with 3M mounting tape - there is a specific name, but I don't remember what it is - and have never had a problem. It is like a very thin plastic foam, the type like packing peanuts are made of, with adhesive on both side. It it white whereas the rubber the clamps come with is black, but it isn't noticeable. It is available in any hardware store. It is very easy to install and trim the excess to the shape of the clamp with a razor blade.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phred View Post
Putting a mechanical fastener through the glass will keep the glass in place, however....

If your glass is tempered glass, drilling it will reduce it to crumb sized pieces. You will need to have the holes drilled in the glass prior to the tempering (heat treating) of the glass.

If your glass is laminated glass, it can be drilled, but there is a chance of the glass cracking at the hole from the pressure of the hardware squeezing on the glass. A hole in annealed glass is a weak spot.

Perhaps using an adhesive in place of the rubber pads. A rear view mirror adhesive may provide a near permanent bond. Others may chime in with experience in this matter.
Phred, ...just what do you know about glass??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:17 PM   #8
DangerousDave

Did the two sided 3M tape hold up well with your wing glass installation?
DangerousDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 08:40 PM   #9
antiquepa

Glue it, put glue on both sides of rubber between glass, got my car in 2002..still hanging in there..over 50,000 miles..no problem.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 09:33 PM   #10
Synchro909

I concluded that the problem was a combination of poor quality clamps and the glass being so heavy so I have converted to an acrylic (or is it polycarbonate?) wind wing which is much lighter. They do get scratched over time so I simply replace them. Glass is difficult to drill holes in but what I use is OK. I drilled through the clamps and the wind wing and put a 5mm screw through them all. I expect no more trouble EVER!
Old 10-14-2021, 07:05 AM   #11
jak

I've seen people use Weatherstripping adeasive on them. Put a glop on the glass and some on both sides of the clamp. Than clamp them together. Let the adhesive dry and trim off the extra, and install.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:25 AM   #12
old31

No way would I ever drill the glass.

I have lost a few in the past. And since I have used contact cement on all the contact points I am able to drive 60 mph all day and I am ok. Its been good for years.

You also need to understand how that little thumb screw plays a part in applying pressure to the glass.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 11:06 AM   #13
midgetracer

Any way you look at it, the repo clamps are less than good. We need a better clamp made. I'd pay a lot more for a good clamp, realizing what damage to a nice paint job costs to fix. I have tried all the solutions above and find Synchro's solution is best.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #14
Pete

One of my model A's is a 2 door with a V8 Bonneville engine in it.
It has done well over 150 many times in street mode. It has wind wings. They self align at around 100. The glass is glued in with regular glass install tape and the same glue that is used for mirrors.
I got the hardware from a model A store in Seattle that is no longer in business. I think they were making it themselves.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 08:11 AM   #15
brito36

I use 3M double sided attachment tape and the glass never fell out. Lost two before using the tape..
brito36 is offline   Reply With Quote