Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-09-2021, 12:10 AM   #41
outlaw

Default Re: Anyone else heard or know?

This was recently sent to me. Interesting. Right now the average wind farm is about 150 turbines. Each wind turbine needs 80 gallons of oil as lubricant and we're not talking about vegetable oil, this is a PAO synthetic oil based on crude... 12,000 gallons of it. That oil needs to be replaced once a year.
It is estimated that a little over 3,800 turbines would be needed to power a city the size of New York... That's 304,000 gallons of refined oil for just one city. Now you have to calculate every city across the nation, large and small, to find the grand total of yearly oil consumption from "clean" energy.

Where do you think all that oil is going to come from, the fricken oil fairies? Well thanks to Biden it now comes from our enemies in the Mideast. Not to mention the fact that the large equipment needed to build these wind farms run on petroleum. As well as the equipment required for installation, service, maintenance, and eventual removal.

Let's talk about disposal now. The lifespan of a modern, top quality, highly efficient wind turbine is 20 years. After that, then what? What happens to those gigantic fiber composite blades?
They cannot economically be reused, refurbished, reduced, repurposed, or recycled so guess what..? It's off to special landfills they go.

And guess what else..? They're already running out of these special landfill spaces for the blades that have already exceeded their usefulness. Seriously! Those blades are anywhere from 120 ft. to over 200 ft. long and there are 3 per turbine. And that's with only 7% of the nation currently being supplied with wind energy. Just imagine if we had the other 93% of the nation on the wind grid... 20 years from now you'd have all those unusable blades with no place to put them... Then 20 years after that, and 20 years after that, and so on.

Here's another little problem with windmills - The generator and switching equipment operate at high power and voltage. Everything in the windmill nacelle is compact due to limited space, so there's danger of arcs and electrical fires. This is prevented by putting all the electrical equipment in a pressure vessel filled with sulfur hexafluoride, a synthetic gas that has dielectric properties that suppress arcs and fires.

Problem is, windmills leak this gas, something around a pound each per year. SF6 has an atmospheric lifetime of 3,200 years and is 22,800 times more effective as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

Who knew? Maybe the people that make them knew. Why would they let that cat out of the bag, after all they are government subsidized with tax payer money. After all It's all about the money every time! Just like the oil industry powers every electric car. Also politicians do not want those eye sores in their backyard.

But Gretta and her crowd like them so lets just completely ignore the truth, actual limitations of wind energy, and common sense re alternative energy.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:27 AM   #42
tomcarman

Outlaw. Would you kindly cite your source(s) for the aforementioned scientific analyses? I'm always interested in research on this subject.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #43
outlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Outlaw. Would you kindly cite your source(s) for the aforementioned scientific analyses? I'm always interested in research on this subject.
It was forwarded to me by one of my uncles who lives in the northeast. He's a retired high school teacher and is into following all things technical and/or political. I will see if I can find out his source.
outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:09 AM   #44
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
It was forwarded to me by one of my uncles who lives in the northeast. He's a retired high school teacher and is into following all things technical and/or political. I will see if I can find out his source.
Many thanks! I'm interested in this subject and like many I am skeptical of the "profound" claims by the so called "Greenies" that the U.S. (meaning us) can change the climate of the entire world by paying more in taxes and goods. I am not opposed to EV power in the least yet I sense this movement has yet to mature in technology and is being reported inaccurately in some instances. As I age it becomes clear that it's all about your hard earned money and who gets to take it, nice and legally. In the meantime it's also clear to me that if it's modern electronics it's doomed to fail, sooner rather than later. I admit I'm techno ignorant yet I expect an electronic device to work once set up, only to have it fail repeatedly.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:34 AM   #45
cas3

Well put Tom
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:55 AM   #46
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
I sense this movement has yet to mature in technology and is being reported inaccurately in some instances. As I age it becomes clear that it's all about your hard earned money and who gets to take it, nice and legally.

The movement sure is maturing nicely in diminishing your future choices to nothing BUT EVs.

Don't forget the "Hereafter". It's nothing more than YOUR money that they are "Here After"! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #47
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
This was recently sent to me. Interesting. Right now the average wind farm is about 150 turbines. Each wind turbine needs 80 gallons of oil as lubricant and we're not talking about vegetable oil, this is a PAO synthetic oil based on crude... 12,000 gallons of it. That oil needs to be replaced once a year.
It is estimated that a little over 3,800 turbines would be needed to power a city the size of New York... That's 304,000 gallons of refined oil for just one city. Now you have to calculate every city across the nation, large and small, to find the grand total of yearly oil consumption from "clean" energy.

Where do you think all that oil is going to come from, the fricken oil fairies? Well thanks to Biden it now comes from our enemies in the Mideast. Not to mention the fact that the large equipment needed to build these wind farms run on petroleum. As well as the equipment required for installation, service, maintenance, and eventual removal.

Let's talk about disposal now. The lifespan of a modern, top quality, highly efficient wind turbine is 20 years. After that, then what? What happens to those gigantic fiber composite blades?
They cannot economically be reused, refurbished, reduced, repurposed, or recycled so guess what..? It's off to special landfills they go.

And guess what else..? They're already running out of these special landfill spaces for the blades that have already exceeded their usefulness. Seriously! Those blades are anywhere from 120 ft. to over 200 ft. long and there are 3 per turbine. And that's with only 7% of the nation currently being supplied with wind energy. Just imagine if we had the other 93% of the nation on the wind grid... 20 years from now you'd have all those unusable blades with no place to put them... Then 20 years after that, and 20 years after that, and so on.

Here's another little problem with windmills - The generator and switching equipment operate at high power and voltage. Everything in the windmill nacelle is compact due to limited space, so there's danger of arcs and electrical fires. This is prevented by putting all the electrical equipment in a pressure vessel filled with sulfur hexafluoride, a synthetic gas that has dielectric properties that suppress arcs and fires.

Problem is, windmills leak this gas, something around a pound each per year. SF6 has an atmospheric lifetime of 3,200 years and is 22,800 times more effective as a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide.

Who knew? Maybe the people that make them knew. Why would they let that cat out of the bag, after all they are government subsidized with tax payer money. After all It's all about the money every time! Just like the oil industry powers every electric car. Also politicians do not want those eye sores in their backyard.

But Gretta and her crowd like them so lets just completely ignore the truth, actual limitations of wind energy, and common sense re alternative energy.
Do not forget the 150-250 cubic yards of concrete needed for each base.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #48
mfirth

Like a pal of mine said : "I played with electric cars as a little boy, don't want one now" !
Nuff said....................& V8COOPMAN is right on the money. I'd say LOL, but it's not a laughing matter.
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #49
rockfla

The Scandinavian's backed off/out of Wind Generation years ago as it ended up being WAY MORE cost prohibitive than "other" forms of energy........IF the Scandinavian's can't make it work THEN it's not going to work......ALL i need to know!!!

As DavidG so eloquently stated, the technology is not there........SO we are being sold on the "Future Gains"........ BUT what is not told IS there are "Very Little" gains left to be made. The percentage limitations of the ability of wind and solar to "convert" the source to energy is 33% for solar and about 60% for wind........Right now solar panels are at about 26% ability and wind generation is at about 45% SO the amount of "Gains" to be made to get to the "maximum" ability's are just about there SO there is relatively "little" left to look "forward" to!!!!!!
rockfla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 10:38 AM   #50
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
The Scandinavian's backed off/out of Wind Generation years ago as it ended up being WAY MORE cost prohibitive than "other" forms of energy........IF the Scandinavian's can't make it work THEN it's not going to work......ALL i need to know!!!
I have problems with the veracity of this statement.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #51
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I have problems with the veracity of this statement.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1X219J

https://www.rechargenews.com/wind/no...sts/2-1-690827

It's a supplement form of power at best
Old 12-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #52
tubman

Did you even read your own cited articles? According to the Reuters article, they are scrapping the subsidies for wind energy because the programs are so successful subsidies are unneeded. The other article says essentially the same thing.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 12:39 PM   #53
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Did you even read your own cited articles? According to the Reuters article, they are scrapping the subsidies for wind energy because the programs are so successful subsidies are unneeded. The other article says essentially the same thing.
They are ending subsidies and NOT expanding any on shore usage of Wind generation, Norwegians are protesting the use of them...... I'm not here to argue with you Tubman, you obviously are WAY smarter me, look at Germany, they are using 5 forms of "renewable" energy wind, solar, hydro, thermal biomas and STILL can only produce 44% of the countries power needs!!! The sale of solar and wind generation and the "expected" takeover of more conventional power sources for this country just isn't there. We are at 80% efficiency with solar panels and 90% efficiency with wind generation and their ability to transform those energy sources SO there are NO real "BIG" gains left to make??? To think this world can produce the amount of batteries to "store" enough energy to help support these sources is compete pie and sky thinking!!!!

Last edited by rockfla; 12-09-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #54
petehoovie

"I'm not here to argue with you Tubman, you obviously are WAY smarter me", - Good one, rockfla!

"complete pie and sky thinking"!!!! - No 'wind' in his sails....BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 12-10-2021 at 12:36 AM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 01:18 PM   #55
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
The movement sure is maturing nicely in diminishing your future choices to nothing BUT EVs.

Don't forget the "Hereafter". It's nothing more than YOUR money that they are "Here After"! DD
Its a religious thing!....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 12-09-2021 at 04:20 PM.
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #56
Darrell S

I have seen and read where many of the windmill farm advocates don't want them built in their backyards. Is it true they make bothersome noise?
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:15 PM   #57
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell S View Post
I have seen and read where many of the windmill farm advocates don't want them built in their backyards. Is it true they make bothersome noise?
Kill birds!!! Catch fire and explode!!!
Old 12-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #58
ronn

I STILL don't understand how California proposes charging ALL of the new electric cars that are coming, when they can't even keep the power on TODAY just to run refrigerators and TVs. I just cannot imagine what it is that keeps people wanting to continue to live in that wonderfully 'together' state. It don't sound all that good from out here. DD

too bad we have politicans running the government and not business people and engineers. Politicians havent a clue when they pass all of this legislation, as to how any of it works.

as far as getting 450 miles per charge on a Tesla- it aint so. Maybe if you put a professional driver on a track and tell him to never go over 20 mph.............. what about hills?

50% of the country, who lives in the colder climates alone, will lose 50% of electrical capacity due to low temperatures. Oh Yeah, if you live in a super hot climate, you too will lose a good percentage of your battery power. Has anyone considered where the "used up" lithium batteries are going to be dumped? the whole thing is nothing more then a comedy show! How does it feel to be a sheep?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:14 PM   #59
cas3

"Politicians havent a clue when they pass all of this legislation, as to how any of it works." Well, thats ridiculous, we know they spend months and months studying in special committees and then throw together a 5 thousand page bill, and vote without time to read it!

Last edited by cas3; 12-09-2021 at 04:21 PM. Reason: add
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:42 PM   #60
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post

I'm assuming that hydrogen fuel cells are out of the running? That seemed to have a lot of promise since hydrogen is abundant (albeit highly flammable) and the byproduct of hydrogen combustion is H20.

I had always assumed that Hydrogen fueled cars combusted the hydrogen and the explosion was the motive power , But apparrently not they produce electricity from the hydrogen and that is the drving force .

The problem with EVs at the moment is definitely battery capacity and life. Most of EV quoted battery life figures are based on full charging every charge -In the world we live on this just won't happen and incomplete charging cycles can halve the battery life !