Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #1
Crosst

Red face What are these and how do you use them?

I have a 1930 roadster. It was modified before I got a hold of it. There are two items in the cockpit that I don’t know
Exactly what they are and how to use them. I uploaded two
Pictures hopefully. The first appear to be an overdrive the knob says in for OD and out for reverse. If
That is correct when and how would you change it!the second item is a small shifter located in the floor next to the shifter. I think it is a ruckster rear end but not certain of that. Again - how and when would you use it?

Thanks and happy motoring!
Crosst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
Gary WA

Default Re: What are these and how do you use them?

No photos! Try again
Old 12-08-2021, 02:23 AM   #3
1930artdeco

You will have either Ruckstell rear end or an OD you probably wont have both. But, I could be wrong-it has happened before. You will have to get under the car and look at the differential to see if you have any of the following:

Ruckstell will definitely not look like an A differential. It will be bulky on one side.

Volvo (this is an electric OD with a switch) and will sit just before the diff and be fairly round.

Mitchell OD will be a box just before the differential. It can come with a lever-sits right in front of the seat behind the gear shift lever-or a cable that is connected to the steering column.

The lever next to the shifter is the parking brake lever.

Mike
Old 12-08-2021, 02:24 AM   #4
1930artdeco

You will have either Ruckstell rear end or an OD you probably wont have both. But, I could be wrong-it has happened before. You will have to get under the car and look at the differential to see if you have any of the following:

Ruckstell will definitely not look like an A differential. It will be bulky on one side.

Volvo (this is an electric OD with a switch) and will sit just before the diff and be fairly round.

Mitchell OD will be a box just before the differential. It can come with a lever-sits right in front of the seat behind the gear shift lever-or a cable that is connected to the steering column.

Mike
Old 12-08-2021, 08:59 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Since you are new to the forum, there may be limits to what you can post until you have 10 posts.You may only be able to upload one photo at a time. Welcome on the FordBarn.

Most folks go with the Mitchell mechanically operated Overdrive in current times. The Borg Warner and, as mentioned, the Laycock overdrives were both used in times passed so there are likely more than a few still operating out there. They are all adapted to the torque tube and were described previously. The Ruckstell is not all that common since there is no support for them and they are a product of the model T and A era. There may still be some of them operating out there but they aren't all than common anymore. The Columbia rear axle conversions are also not all that common on model A cars but they are out there.

Borg Warner R10 overdrives are adapted from transmissions that were so equipped and they have an electrical solenoid that engages them. Laycock's are also an electrically controlled shift. Both also need reverse lock out since the overdrive will not function in reverse.

The Ryan overdrive is a geared unit adapted to the torque tube that can simply be shifted with a lever through the floor board very much like the Mitchell. It has a rectangular case but is smaller than the Mitchel box case.

With all this information, you can see how important a photo is for ID of what all you may have. There are a lot of control variations on the electric ones so it may be one of those or it could be a combination of axle and torque tube devices but I would question the need for all that on a Model A.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-08-2021 at 09:05 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #6
nkaminar

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My understanding is that the converted overdrive from other cars can be ruined if used in reverse. I have never owned one so I am going by what has been reported.

There is a way to measure your overall gear ratio when in or out of overdrive or in or out of the two speed rear end. See http://www.lionsgatemodelaclub.com/T...tech_tips.html and scroll down until you get to "Checking your rear end gear ratio."

The overdrive is used to reduce the engine rpm while cruising on a level highway. It helps save the engine from wear and reduces the vibration and noise. You can obtain a higher speed with the overdrive if the engine has good torque at lower rpm. The overdrive can also be used in second gear to get an intermediate gear between second and third to pull a hill or use the engine compression to slow the car going down a hill and save the brakes.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post

Mike
Or a Borg -Warner.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #8
katy

Quote:
It will also have a small L shaped lever sticking out of it on the LH side.
Old 12-08-2021, 03:42 PM   #9
nkaminar

I don't know about Ruckstell's for Model A's but the Ruckstell for my Model T was lower geared when engaged. It was half way between low band and high gear and was like having a three speed with a second gear for climbing or decending grades.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote