Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
Veeder

Default 41 ford car stock gas tank sending unit - recommendation

Any strong recommendations for a new gas 4ank sending unit?
Veeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
FortyNiner

Default Re: 41 ford car stock gas tank sending unit - recommendation

Yes, don't expect any of the reproduction units to work with the original gauge.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:53 AM   #3
deuce_roadster

All the 6v electric tank units (35 or 6 to 55 or 6) have the same top, only the float arm is different. You can usually take the top off and clean the points and a non-working one will come back to life. I posted a chart in my MISC photo album that comes with a NOS unit as to how to bend the arm if yours is missing. I can send you a higher resolution copy as a PDF file if you PM me your email address if you need or would like to have it.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #4
Veeder

Just sent you my contact inf that you!!!
Old 11-28-2021, 09:17 AM   #5
19Fordy

Veeder: If you still have the old unit, check the float for hairline cracks that allow gas to seep in and give false readings. Do a SEARCH on GAS TANK SENDING UNITS. It's interesting to see what others have encountered re: repairs.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=25778192
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:54 PM   #6
fordor41

I installed a sender from Yogi's street rods (10- 70 something ohm) in my '41. was a 6 bolt rather than 5, I believe, to fit my aftermarket tank. If you're using a stock tank it would not be hard to fab a plate that goes from 5-6 . I used a 12-6V electronic reducer ( I had changed to 12V) and it registered fine with my stock '41 gauge. E was empty, F was full
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:33 AM   #7
19Fordy

fordor: Thanks for posting about that aftermarket sending unit. Were the gauge readings between FULL and EMPTY accurate also? Plus, do you know how much gas was left in the tank when the gauge registers EMPTY? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2021, 11:14 PM   #8
fordor41

I really didn't care about 1/4, etc, just E & F. When at E, it would take about 16 Gal + or -.
BTW I couldn't find a Ford sender on Yogi's website
Old 12-29-2021, 08:48 PM   #9
Veeder

Well here are my plans
1 The tank is in tough shape purchased a new (bob drake) replacement and aftermarket sensor. I did take the old sensor out cleaned it up (filed points) and seems to be working well. SO I hope to get the tank boiled out and sealed then stored with the original sensor for some person if they ever want to make this perfectly stock.

The issue I have {all though not critical) is the new gauge has a resistance range of 11.5 ---101.36 ohms ( Straight resistance based sensor technology). The stock ford gauge is apparently between 10-73 ohms however it is not a simply design but very interisting it was fun understanding it.

I did some tests today and I think if I place a 70 ohm resistor to ground from the new sensor it will give me the best average accuracy across the entire spectrum of the tank.

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS IS THE QUESTION??
Old 12-29-2021, 11:26 PM   #10
19Fordy

"I did some tests today and I think if I place a 70 ohm resistor to ground from the new sensor it will give me the best average accuracy across the entire spectrum of the tank."

The 1941 OEM Ford gauge does not work on the OHMs principle and will not give accurate readings with any modern aftermarkt gas tank sending unit that operates on the OHMs principle.

However, please do let us know how your 70 ohm idea works oput. I do hope your idea works although I don't know what "average accuracy" means. We need 'real time" on the spot accuracy.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-30-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 12:07 AM   #11
fordor41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
I did some tests today and I think if I place a 70 ohm resistor to ground from the new sensor it will give me the best average accuracy across the entire spectrum of the tank.

The 1941 OEM Ford gauge does not work on the OHMs principle and will not give accurate readings with any modern aftermarkt gas tank sending unit that operates on the OHMs principle.

However, please do let us know how your 70 ohm idea works oput. I do hope your idea works although I don't know what "average accuracy" means. We need 'real time" on the spot accuracy.
I don't get it! If a fuel gauge reads true E and true F who cares if 1/4,1/2 or 3/4 are accurate? Has anyone checked that accuracy of their 2000 something to see if it is accurate thru the entire range. I don't care what anyone says about 10-73 ohm senders with a stock gauge. Mine operated perfectly on 6V!
Old 12-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #12
JayChicago

I found by trial and error that the replacement sender in my car needed a 7 ohm resistor (not 70 ohm!) to get the gauge to read accurately at empty.

And then it is only accurate near empty, not full range. With full tank the needle stays pegged until tank is about 3/4 full, then starts coming down. But as mentioned above, accuracy is not important up there. I only care about accuracy when I have to start thinking about how far to the next gas station.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #13
19Fordy

It's good to know how many gallons of gas you have left in your tank when the needle reads 3/4, 1/2 ,1/4 and E because it provides you with an estimate of how many more miles you can drive,especially if gas stations are few and far between.

Having your gauge read accurately gives peace of mind. Who prefers a gauge that reads 1/4 tank left one minute and then the next minute the needle drops like a rock to E and your running on fumes?
Old 12-30-2021, 10:47 AM   #14
Anteek29

Fortunately, I found an NOS sender on ePay for my '41. Was a bit pricey but now I can rely on what the gauge indicates.
Otherwise, your mileage may vary...
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #15
19Fordy

Anteek, Smart move. Whatever you paid for that 1941 NOS unit, the price was right.
It was worth it. They are very hard to find.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 12-30-2021 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #16
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veeder View Post
Well here are my plans
1 The tank is in tough shape purchased a new (bob drake) replacement and aftermarket sensor. I did take the old sensor out cleaned it up (filed points) and seems to be working well. SO I hope to get the tank boiled out and sealed then stored with the original sensor for some person if they ever want to make this perfectly stock.

The issue I have {all though not critical) is the new gauge has a resistance range of 11.5 ---101.36 ohms ( Straight resistance based sensor technology). The stock ford gauge is apparently between 10-73 ohms however it is not a simply design but very interisting it was fun understanding it.

HAS ANYONE EVER DONE THIS IS THE QUESTION??
I bought a Drake tank sometime back and it had two sets of holes for the sender. One set was for the original sender and the other for a late sender. Does your new tank have both sets of holes? If so, put the old sender in the new tank.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:15 PM   #17
mercury 48

I have a ford nos gas sender .1941 ford gas gauge would like to set sender arm to full and empty.E mail [email protected].
mercury 48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:57 PM   #18
hubercats

@JayChicago: Out of curiosity, did you place the 7 Ohm resistor in series with the gauge or in parallel? My gut instinct suggests placing it in series. Thanks!
hubercats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:45 PM   #19
Veeder

Messed with a variety of resistor configurations today it appears that a resistor in series of a value between 2.2 --2.5 ohms does the trick. I do think that each car will end up being slightly different. I'LL do a bit more testing within the next couple of weeks to confirm. However for my car it's looking like 2.3 ohms in series does the trick.
Old 12-31-2021, 11:46 PM   #20
inkandfable

Just sent you my contact inf that you!!!
inkandfable is offline   Reply With Quote