Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
Dave1931Pickup

Default Body Blocks

Did Henry have part numbers for the Body Blocks? If so where do I find them? I'm looking for part numbers for the blocks on a '31 82 B Closed Cab Pickup. I have not found them in the Body Parts List or in the Chassis Parts List. Thanks in advance.
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #2
kbinde2

Default Re: Body Blocks

Bratton's has them listed as a kit for 30-31 PU. If individual blocks are needed, is there enough original to shape from a pattern.? I did a couple for my '29 Coupe, not perfectly
crafted, but they did fit. kb
kbinde2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
duke36

The Jan /Feb 1998 issue of the MAFCA Restorer had body block locations and dimensions for the SW Sedans. Perhaps other models. The Les Andrews Redbook has a full section on body blocks but no dimensions of the blocks are shown.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Terry, NJ

I'm not sure of the dimensions of the blocks in question, but get a cheap vernier caliper and you can reliably measure .005 (5 thousandiths) with even a cheap one. Used ones can be found in flea markets. I'm assuming you have a table saw to cut your wood on. For wood, my first choice would be Ash. Second choice would be Oak, 3rd would be Maple. Get it all shaped and soak it in Linseed oil. It will keep a long time!
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
Dave1931Pickup

Thanks everyone, I'm not looking for dimensions. I already have a new set of blocks. I'm looking for part numbers. I document all of the parts that I use in restoration by original part number, original cost and current cost.
Dave1931Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1931Pickup View Post
Thanks everyone, I'm not looking for dimensions. I already have a new set of blocks. I'm looking for part numbers. I document all of the parts that I use in restoration by original part number, original cost and current cost.
Wow, wish I was that organized.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:39 AM   #7
100IH

There had to be some reason. Best option, assume that they were only sold as a kit then estimate / guess what sounds good. I have wondered how available parts were for the model A five years after or even during production. Drive train, fenders, wheels and electrical most likely did stay available what about 400A ash tray? Many part might have been only for the construction of the bodys at the plants. Cars had no real warranty's unless the dealer wished to keep a customer. The Manufacturers attitude would be to " "just buy another car" Was a different World then.

Last edited by 100IH; 06-11-2019 at 12:05 PM.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote