Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
MARKA

Default Sugestions please

Hello ,
the crankshaft on my engine has broken next to where it bolts to the flywheel.
I suspect that the flywheel and clutch assemby are being held in place by the mainshaft spigot that goes into the flywheel pilot bearing.

Does anyone have any sugestions as to how I can remove the gearbox/ bell housing without the flywheel falling out of the flywheel housing when I unbolt the bell housing and move it backwards .
Is it possible to remove the engine with the gearbox/ bell housing attached. ?

I am scared that the flywheel will fall down and damage the wishbone ball that sits underneath.

Any sugestions please.
Thanks

Mark.
MARKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Sugestions please

Yes it's possible to remove engine and trans together. Make sure you remove the throttle linkage at top of bellhousing and the shifter/tower. Others will chime in I'm sure.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKA View Post
Hello ,
the crankshaft on my engine has broken next to where it bolts to the flywheel.
I suspect that the flywheel and clutch assemby are being held in place by the mainshaft spigot that goes into the flywheel pilot bearing.

Does anyone have any sugestions as to how I can remove the gearbox/ bell housing without the flywheel falling out of the flywheel housing when I unbolt the bell housing and move it backwards .
Is it possible to remove the engine with the gearbox/ bell housing attached. ?

I am scared that the flywheel will fall down and damage the wishbone ball that sits underneath.

Any sugestions please.
Thanks

Mark.
Sure. It is not a problem to bring it out as an assembly. I will tell you that the flywheel won't just fall down and crush the wishbone ball.

Honestly what I expect will happen is if it did break cleanly at the flange, I'm guessing the flywheel will stay put on the input shaft. If it does, when you have moved the engine forward just a small amount, consider dropping a horizontal strap down between the flywheel housing and the clutch housing to tie the flywheel assy. back into the transmission until you can get the engine out of the way. The risk you take with this is the input shaft bearing will be placed in some stress, and the front bearing retainer will also take some stress but if you are somewhat creative, your tie-strap could help relieve some of that stress. Another additional possibility to assist the strap is to remove the clutch inspection plate and find a way to grab onto the pressure plate assy. and pull towards the shift lever. Do all of this just long enough to get the engine out of the way and the flywheel removed. Remember that thing could weigh upwards of nearly 70 pounds so use care and watch your fingers & toes.

One other thought to ponder is generally when the flange breaks off, it is caused by the fillet (curve in edge) on the crankshaft pin being ground (machined) incorrectly as it weakens it there. Also, improperly balanced engines that have harmonics issues exacerbate this with the incorrect fillet.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

You could remove the inspection cover from the top of the clutch housing and tie up the flywheel to a bar across the opening. Then be sure to support the tranny with a jack as the engine is removed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
MARKA

Hi Guy's
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.
I think I will remove the engine with the transmission attached as I have already removed the tailshaft and diff assembly.

Thanks once again,
Regards
mark.
MARKA is offline   Reply With Quote