Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2021, 09:00 AM   #21
vilanar

Default Re: Camshaft ideas?

I have 276+C4 and 2.78 8" rear . Max1 for it wasn't the best choice for it..kills the low rpm torque.
It cruises 65 at 1800 but engine likes 2200 or more . Purrs like kitten at 2500.
Too tall gears ,but I'm too lazy to change them.
vilanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #22
Ol' Ron

The choice of camshafts has taken a different turn of events, Cash. Back in the day we didn't really care much about performance or economy, just go power. cams cost $25 bucks and adjustable lifter $12. Check an old list from Honest Charley's. After I got into racing, I discovered different cams preform differently under different loads and speeds, and you had to use a cam for a specific purpose.
In the late 80's I discovered the L-100 and began using it in all my builds, and for the price it worked quite fine. A "RUMP RUMP" cam that you could drive on the street.
Today we have a different venue. Cost have gone up disproportionally. this cam is quite long on duration and runs rich at best. Adjustable lifters and another thing that's brought the price up, this $12 lifters run over 200 bucks for the good one. and you SHOULD use chevy valves with them because the stock adj. lifters are for the large base circle cams and don't work will with the reground cams. So a "Rump Rump" cam now cost you over 600 bucks. Now the L-100 cam is one of the best short track cam and can run with the best of them. But here it's out of it's element. Now for those of you that want to take the time to tune the engine you can get 22 MPG and good performance. but you have to run the proper ignition and 97s and 94 , just don't cut it...
Edelbrock 500 will...
Gramps
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:29 PM   #23
David Lien

Sooooo Has any one here run A stock cam. and stock heads with a 276 In. engine. If so, what was the drivability and running temperature Like for a street driven vehicle.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #24
Desoto291Hemi

I’m very impressed with Pete .
I always thought he was a pretty smart cookie,,,,,racer guy,,,,engine builder .
But now,,,,,,,after reading post #16,,,,,,man,,,,,,I am truly amazed .
It’s kind of like ,,,,,,I really feel stupid now,,,,,,LoL .
I guess car guys are not just a bunch of goof balls after all .

Tommy
Desoto291Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:47 PM   #25
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto291Hemi View Post
I’m very impressed with Pete .
I always thought he was a pretty smart cookie,,,,,racer guy,,,,engine builder .
But now,,,,,,,after reading post #16,,,,,,man,,,,,,I am truly amazed .
It’s kind of like ,,,,,,I really feel stupid now,,,,,,LoL .
I guess car guys are not just a bunch of goof balls after all .

Tommy
Who has more fun than people?
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #26
Ol' Ron

I have an EAB cam in the 280 in my truck. 3 spd with Od and it will climb any hill in Vt in OD.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:26 AM   #27
Lawrie

David, I have a 265 99a engine (4 x .040)in our 33, runs stock 33 cam and manifold and 97 ,stock cast iron heads , this engine has pulled our caravan all over Australia, some times in 43C in 2nd gear on the hills, never over heat, drove out to Ayers Rock from home,5 days at 50-55 mph each way in 35 C no over heat, stock 33 radiator and fan .look at the article in last months V8 times.

Lawrie
Lawrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:45 PM   #28
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
The Schneider 248 looks like a good option based on what I'm looking for, thanks. Did you get a new core or regrind?

JWL, these are some good points. I have been dissatisfied with a camshaft before (non flathead) but it was because the duration and overlap did not match the advertised cam specs by which I had selected it. I guess that given the relatively subtle changes produced by most camshaft changes these difference would not be noticeable on the road (and this was pointed out by the supplier), but still frustrating!!
Bought new directly from Schneider, including new adjustable lifters. Less than 5,000 miles on it, but all is well so far.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:04 AM   #29
glennpm

Its also used as an"approximately" symbol in engineering such as,

~4"
~5 gallons/liters
My 59A has ~300HP :-)

Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
It's proper name is, "Tilde".

Origin.
It was originally written over an omitted letter or several letters as a scribal abbreviation, or "mark of suspension" and "mark of contraction",[2] shown as a straight line when used with capitals. Thus, the commonly used words Anno Domini were frequently abbreviated to Ao Dñi, with an elevated terminal with a suspension mark placed over the "n". Such a mark could denote the omission of one letter or several letters. This saved on the expense of the scribe's labour and the cost of vellum and ink. Medieval European charters written in Latin are largely made up of such abbreviated words with suspension marks and other abbreviations; only uncommon words were given in full.

The tilde has since been applied to a number of other uses as a diacritic mark or a character in its own right. These are encoded in Unicode with many precomposed characters as well as individually at U+0303 ◌̃ COMBINING TILDE and U+007E ~ TILDE (as a spacing character), and there are additional similar characters for different roles. In lexicography, the latter kind of tilde and the swung dash, ⁓, are used in dictionaries to indicate the omission of the entry word.

You can delete this if you aleady knew it from writing your doctorate thesis on computer language.....LOL
glennpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #30
tubman

Uh guys, I was ~joking.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 01:01 AM   #31
frnkeore

I use the ~ symbol a lot, as Glennpm says, for approximate.
'54 Ford Tudor Mainline
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote