Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-08-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
svmsr1044

Default Stainless restoration

Anyone know of someone in the Philadelphia or eastern PA area who does stainless steel restoration such as on car side mouldings?

Thanks, Steve
svmsr1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #2
cmbrucew

Default Re: Stainless restoration

http://www.secondchancegarage.com/pu...ess-repair.cfm

Here is a video about DIY.
Not that hard. Practice on a scrap piece. Be careful with the buffer wheel.
Bruce
Old 03-09-2018, 01:16 AM   #3
expavr

Eastwood sells a kit with different buffing compounds and buffing wheels that you can put on a grinder. I used their kit to bring back the shine on the waterfall grill stainless on the tonner.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:11 AM   #4
rockfla

Do it yourself, its really very easy to do. Is it dented or cracked??
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #5
svmsr1044

I have a number of body side mouldings that have "dings" !!
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmsr1044 View Post
I have a number of body side mouldings that have "dings" !!
If you have a good solid work table, a small hammer (body hammer), an awl or a small wood dowel, a mill file, some 600 or 800 grit sand paper, and a buffer or someone to polish it. Very lightly use a pin punch, wood dowel or awl at the center of your dings and lightly tap them, you'll get a feel for how much material you are moving.....tap the back side, then turn over and run your mill file over the dent...that will show your high's and low's, turn back over and tap it a little more, then back over and file again till the dent is gone, then sand your file marks with the fine sand paper and then polish. Its really pretty easy and fun....Remember SS is a soft material so go gently at first and work your way up, you'll get the feel for it pretty quick.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:11 AM   #7
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
If you have a good solid work table, a small hammer (body hammer), an awl or a small wood dowel, a mill file, some 600 or 800 grit sand paper, and a buffer or someone to polish it. Very lightly use a pin punch, wood dowel or awl at the center of your dings and lightly tap them, you'll get a feel for how much material you are moving.....tap the back side, then turn over and run your mill file over the dent...that will show your high's and low's, turn back over and tap it a little more, then back over and file again till the dent is gone, then sand your file marks with the fine sand paper and then polish. Its really pretty easy and fun....Remember SS is a soft material so go gently at first and work your way up, you'll get the feel for it pretty quick.
I agree. I also used a sandbag to help cradle the trim while tapping out the dings. The trick is to avoid applying too much pressure and concentrating on one spot when using the buffing compound. You’ll want to spread the buffing effort along a wide section so as not to build up heat. If you get the surface of the stainless too hot you can discolor it. It won’t take you long to get up on the learning curve and you’ll be amazed at the results.
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:35 AM   #8
19Fordy

Get this book and practice on some old pieces before tackling your good trim.
https://www.ebay.com/i/162650287484?chn=ps
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Royal Ryser

Rockfla and expavr have both given good info. I have had success using my drill press to push out (from the backside) small dents to where they could be finished with files and buffing. I used a small wooden dowel in the drill press and applied just enough force to push out the dents even with the existing surface.. You can easily push too hard and end up with a bulge on the "good" side. I found that I had better control of the dents using the drill press than I did with a hammer.
Royal Ryser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
rockfla

Hey, good Idea RoyalRyser, I'll give that a try!!!! I have also been able to find some white nylon stock, like 1/2 X1/2 square stock that I rounded and to somewhat of a point and a piece that is like 3/8 round that I sharpened to a pencil type point that work very well with a hammer.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
svmsr1044

Thanks to all for the good information!!! I ordered the book from 19FORDY's link to e-bay.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #12
rich b

I have found that when buffing fragile trim like grille and hood trim; it works good to cut a piece of wood to the shape of the trim and tape the trim to it. Buff the open areas and re-tape to get the others. Little more work; but it is safer for both the trim and you. Head and tail light rings on a flat piece with a second centering piece works good too. Much better then the trim wrapped around the wheel, flung across the garage, or stitches at urgent care.
rich b is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #13
blucar

All of the info about polishing SS has been very good and worth following. The one very important item that was omitted and worth keeping in mind is.. Don't get in a big hurry, pay attention to what you are doing. One slip up and the piece being worked on will end up across the garage..
I purchased my double sided buffer motor and stand from Harbor Freight. Bought the buffing supplies from Eastwood. A friend of mine clued me in about using a drill press to push out small dents.
With practice I have become quite good at polishing SS and aluminum. I always wear heavy cotton gloves. The going rate in my area starts at $1.50 an inch, going up from there.