Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
sconnors

Default Steering Column Support Bracket - Help Needed

Hi guys,
Just getting ready to install the new horn rod in my 1930 CCPU and I ordered a new steering column support bracket. Well I just installed it and wanted to measure things up prior to doing it for good.

As you can see in the attached picture it looks as if the new bracket is holding the column down farther than the old one behind it. So I have two questions:
1. Is this normal with the new dash rail mounted brackets?

2. Is it okay to install this one even though the column appears to be a bit lower or should I go back to the old one?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Scott
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (39.4 KB, 56 views)
sconnors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Steering Column Support Bracket - Help Needed

As long as you loosen the steering gear to frame mounting bolts to allow it to adjust to the new position ---then tighten them the slight change in position of the support won't make any difference
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Steve Plucker
BANNED

You have the wrong bracket I think...There were two size's, a short one and a long one...you need the short one.

The difference was with Steering Column Support--Upper brackets, A-3520-E (short) and A-3520-F (long). The use of the long bracket, A-3520-F, which formed the A-3523-G (long) assembly (Fig. 22 Right), was for use on the 180-A Deluxe Phaeton, 190-A Victoria Coupe, 295-A Town Car Delivery and 330-A School Bus Body according to the May 1931 Ford Service Bulletin. However the newly released 400-A Convertible Sedan and 330-B Passenger Bus Body also used this assembly according to the Part Releases.
The use of the short bracket, A-3520-E, which formed the A-3523-F (short) assembly
(Fig. 22 Left), was for all other body styles according to the Part Releases. They were also to be "paint(ed) with (the) body after assembly (to the body)" as stated on the releases themselves. However this practice wasn’t always followed and some were installed prepainted in black enamel.

See my website about these brackets in the 30-31 Gas tank section in Additional Studies.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
sconnors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
You have the wrong bracket I think...There were two size's, a short one and a long one...you need the short one.

The difference was with Steering Column Support--Upper brackets, A-3520-E (short) and A-3520-F (long). The use of the long bracket, A-3520-F, which formed the A-3523-G (long) assembly (Fig. 22 Right), was for use on the 180-A Deluxe Phaeton, 190-A Victoria Coupe, 295-A Town Car Delivery and 330-A School Bus Body according to the May 1931 Ford Service Bulletin. However the newly released 400-A Convertible Sedan and 330-B Passenger Bus Body also used this assembly according to the Part Releases.
The use of the short bracket, A-3520-E, which formed the A-3523-F (short) assembly
(Fig. 22 Left), was for all other body styles according to the Part Releases. They were also to be "paint(ed) with (the) body after assembly (to the body)" as stated on the releases themselves. However this practice wasn’t always followed and some were installed prepainted in black enamel.

See my website about these brackets in the 30-31 Gas tank section in Additional Studies.

Pluck
Steve
Thanks but the catalogs and parts houses only sell one bracket? Any idea where to get a short one?
Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sconnors View Post
Steve
Thanks but the catalogs and parts houses only sell one bracket? Any idea where to get a short one?
Try Bert's in Denver OR maybe someone on the barn might have one.

If it were me, I just could not be going down the road and seeing a gapping hole down there knowing that I should of done it right in the first place...BUT, that is me.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
sconnors

Quote:

If it were me, I just could not be going down the road and seeing a gapping hole down there knowing that I should of done it right in the first place...BUT, that is me.

Pluck
Thanks Steve, I'll give Bert's a call see if they have one. I agree with you about the gaping hole too!!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
sconnors

Quote:

Pluck
Steve
Called Bert's and they said that the only other one they are aware of is a longer one made for the Victoria. They said the one I have is the "right" one as there was only the two manufactured. Oh well I guess I'll go wit it given no other choice.