Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2021, 08:09 PM   #1
drolston

Default Non-Zero Oil Pressure

Ignition off, the oil pressure gauge is almost off scale to the left; the temp gauge rests at just above the hot mark. Ignition on, engine cold/off; oil pressure gauge comes up to about 9 psi; the temp gauge goes to about 150, just to the left of the center mark. Repo sensors on both oil pressure (50 psi unit) and temp. Checked voltage reducer to gauges at 8 volts, which should be okay.

Running warmed up, the temp goes to to about the 180 degree mark which is not too bad, since I am running 170 degree stats. The oil pressure running warmed up indicates about 30 psi at idle and near 50 psi at speed; both of which are believable for a completely rebuilt engine with under 5,000 miles.

Seems like both are sender problems. I can not find a NOS temp sender for the right head, one terminal type.

Does anybody else have these problems, and if so, what solution might I try. Is there any way to calibrate the senders to show zero when the engine is off and cold?
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:51 AM   #2
JayChicago

Default Re: Non-Zero Oil Pressure

Maybe 8 volts out of the voltage reducer is not OK? 6 to 7 volt is what the gauges were designed for.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:50 AM   #3
51woodie

Ford designed the gauge system to be “failsafe”. When the power is off the fuel reads E, the oil reads 0 and the temp goes to full H. Maybe you need an 80 psi oil sender? Agree with Jay, maybe 8V to too much.
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 09:21 AM   #4
drolston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51woodie View Post
Ford designed the gauge system to be “failsafe”. When the power is off the fuel reads E, the oil reads 0 and the temp goes to full H. Maybe you need an 80 psi oil sender? Agree with Jay, maybe 8V to too much.
One of the design features by Ford was for the gauges to indicate correctly, regardless of the voltage applied (within generator/regulator range). The repo senders are a different electrical design that may not guarantee correct gauge behavior. I will continue the search for original senders.

The '41 gauge is for 50 psi max, not 80, so I need a 50 psi unit. Just need to find an original for that and water temp sender. Help!
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #5
HD Rider

I put both senders in new in my truck and have not had any problems. I got them from Early Ford V8 Sales.
HD Rider is offline   Reply With Quote