Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
37coop

Default 39 coupe gearlever gaiter and mat .

hello ,just a quick one ...I put on a new gaiter ,I put it under the metal gearbox cover added the floorboards and it looks ok , a new rubber mat arrived and the hole cut in it is small ,do I put the gaiter over the mat or under the mat but over the metal cover or the way I,v done it under the metal cover ?a dumb question to some but if you don't know you don't know , thanks Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #2
Scott H in Wheaton

Default Re: 39 coupe gearlever gaiter and mat .

What's a gaiter?
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
Lawson Cox

Anything akin to a garter??

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

I'm not familiar with the word "gaiter" either. So, off to Google and here's what they say.....

Gaiters are garments worn over the shoe and lower pants leg, and used primarily as personal protective equipment; similar garments used primarily for display are spats. Originally, gaiters were made of leather. Today, gaiters for walking are commonly made of plasticized synthetic cloth such as polyester. Gaiters for use on horseback continue to be made of leather.

Would this possibly be a leather or rubber boot that goes over the top part of the shift lever tower?

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 PM   #5
37coop

sorry ,I guess a gaiter is an englishism , its the rubber boot that goes over the gear lever ...........lets start over again .
Old 02-14-2016, 07:36 PM   #6
adileo

Matt should go over boot.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
TonyM

Are they standard?

It is my understanding that they were add on, and not factory.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 09:18 PM   #8
Lawson Cox

39 Mercury used a boot over the gear shift, Fords did not use one. I would say, if you are going to use one, it should go on top of the metal floor board, but under the mat, with only the upper part of the boot showing.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #9
37coop

Thanks guys ,that,s another one sorted.
Old 02-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #10
Tom/SC

If you are speaking of the rubber boot that was intended for the Mercury car, I put one my 39 when I restored it about 8 years ago. After seeing other nice Dearborn 38 and 39 Fords at shows, I removed that boot from my 39 Convertible. We just finished restoring a 39 Deluxe coupe and I used a Carpenters floor mat and the gearshift tower fits tightly in the hole in the mat. Just my opinion, the 39 looks much better without the loose fitting boot. The boot does not fit properly over the rubber mat nor under the mat. This is the way that the 39 Ford came from the factory, without the boot. This from my own trial and error. Good luck with your Ford. Tom Byrd
Tom/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:10 PM   #11
37coop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom/SC View Post
If you are speaking of the rubber boot that was intended for the Mercury car, I put one my 39 when I restored it about 8 years ago. After seeing other nice Dearborn 38 and 39 Fords at shows, I removed that boot from my 39 Convertible. We just finished restoring a 39 Deluxe coupe and I used a Carpenters floor mat and the gearshift tower fits tightly in the hole in the mat. Just my opinion, the 39 looks much better without the loose fitting boot. The boot does not fit properly over the rubber mat nor under the mat. This is the way that the 39 Ford came from the factory, without the boot. This from my own trial and error. Good luck with your Ford. Tom Byrd
Thanks Tom,when I bought the boot I didn't know the 39 didn't have one,in fact I didn't know till I posted this thread ,I couldn't understand why the gear lever hole in the new mat was so small,I also have decided to go boot free ,I admit it looks more natural than cutting a bigger hole in the mat or sitting the boot on top.....I tore the 39 apart 28 years ago after importing it from West Virginia, got into classic English bikes and the 39 got pushed to one side till 3 years ago ,almost finished now after a body off resto,plenty of problems along the way and fellow enthusiasts on the barn like yourself have given me such help and advice ,on the road for the summer (hopefully). Many thanks. Jim.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:30 PM   #12
Tom/SC

We need to help each other in this hobby,I took this 39 convertible apart in 1965 and started restoring it around 1998, I had to do a lot of research and checking other 39 convertibles in order to put that puzzle back together!
Tom/SC is offline   Reply With Quote