Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
ctvpa

Default '36 generator

Does anyone have ideas on a generator putting out 2 volts?
Currently I have:
Checked the wiring
multimeter the output
Adjusted the 3rd arm
verified Ameter
New battery
checked the belt
I'm going to place the armature on a growler

Or what company sells the best rebuild kit?
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
koates

Default Re: '36 generator

No kits available but separate parts, like brush set, bushes, roller front bearings (2 required), field coils etc. Macs and others have these. Yes check your armature on growler for shorts. Also check armature for shorts to ground. Sounds like brushes are worn out or sticking or gummed up with oil. Clean inside of gen with a parts wash solvent. How did you check the out put voltage ? Digital voltmeter not the best to use. Use an analog meter with needle scale type is better. To check output voltage while on car, do it open circuit. Remove generator wire from cutout on top of generator. Two wires come out of the generator grommet on top, the other is the field coil earth which goes under the cut out mounting screw so leave it there. Connect voltmeter NEG on removed gen. wire and Pos to ground. Set volts scale to DC 50 volts or so. Start engine and rev to approx. 2,000 rpm. Analog meter should go up fast to approx 40 volts or more. If it does not produce this amount and only produces 2 to 10 volts or so then the generator is faulty. When generator is working and you adjust the third brush to a reading of no more than 5 amps showing on your dash ammeter with engine revving a little and NO lights on. This is plenty for daylight running. The generator is capable of safe running up to 15 amps, NO MORE and this is for night running with lights on only. If you run at 15 amps with no lights on then the battery will be overheated, COOKED !! Good luck, Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
ctvpa

Default Re: '36 generator

Thank you for your answer. The unit is very nice and solid. There is only 40K total miles on the car, and it has won a national best of show in the past. But I see electrical tape on a the wires, never a good sign, but the former owner was an electrical tape fanatic. I replaced that wire. The brushes look very sound. I always use my analog meter, using my digital meter is too influenced by the feedback. I did come off the hot lead, but showing only 2 volts tops.
Thank you, I will keep in touch, and tell you what I find.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote