Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
ctvpa

Default service bulletins

Does anyone know how many Model A service bulletins make a complete set?
I know of someone selling 31 bulletins, good condition (no leather binder) with dates form 28-29, what do you think is a fair price?

Thanks
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
DougVieyra

Default Re: service bulletins

Luckily in 1972 I bought two of the Ford Service Bulletins that were being reproduced at the time, by a company who at the time were primarily making reproduction trunks for the Ford Model A. These were / are extremely nice and very closely authentic in all aspects to the originals. But for practical reasons, they also functioned so much better than the already available Ford Service Bulletins that were in print by Post Publications. Their offering was in a 6"X8" hard-bound book version, which did give the information, but the small book was difficult to use as a working tool. The Ford original large-size (roughly 8.5" X 11") and string-tied 'loose-leaf' binder that the '70's repro. replicated, was a much better working tool.
One of my large blue, flexible canvas type reproduction copies stayed pristine as my 'arm chair' reference tool, while the second binder was for actual 'greasy, dirty, wrinkled' garage work copy. This early-day reproduction was better than the original Ford binder because you were not intimidated in 'messing up' a rare original - yet it gave the same useful information (without the guilt).

But to answer your specific question - "How much is a fair price?" A "fair" price means different things to different people - but for me, if I wanted it I would pay no more than $10 per month for the originals, provided they were in good to excellent condition. Fortunately for me, I am quiet satisfied with my two '70's exact duplicates, and would only pay $5 for an original month in good to excellent condition. I guess if you get 5 Ford Barn forum replies giving you a dollar amount of what each would pay, you could average the answers and get some sort of 'feel' of their value on the 'open market'.

I do have a good collection (mostly complete) of the FORD DEALER AND SERVICE FIELD from 1927 thru 1932, that is all original. And like the Service Bulletins, they are a great source of mechanic information, accessory products and period advertising. For those who have an interest in discovering these staples of the Ford garage of the Model A era, the publisher, John LaVoy of the MODEL A TIMES (L&M Publishing, Rocklin, Calif) does offer exact reproductions of the first 4 issues (months) of the 1928 editions. $10 each + $3 p&h. I highly recommend these 4 exhibits of Model A literature of the 1928 period.

Last edited by DougVieyra; 10-12-2013 at 09:23 PM.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #3
CarlG

Unless you are trying to build an "original" library, the vendors sell the re-printed service bulletins in a couple of different formats. The yellow hard bound book is reduced size and IMHO hard to read. The green soft back is full size and much easier to read (and it's cheaper)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SNAG_Program-0003.jpg (28.1 KB, 58 views)
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:01 PM   #4
ctvpa

I have an original leather binder. I have some 28, and several post 31 bulletins. This person has almost all the 28-29 ones, so it would give a good start on an original set.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
QGolden

There is a used book (small version, yellow cover) 28-31 on Amazon now for 29.00.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
There is a used book (small version, yellow cover) 28-31 on Amazon now for 29.00.
Wish I could find my yellow book. I'd sell it for less than that. Never did care for it, and bought the nice full size edition from the national clubs. Wish they were still being made.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 AM   #7
ericr

don't the small-sized repros cut out the quaint advertising drawings that we find so charming? The mechanics tipping their caps to females etc. (as if that ever really happened).
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #8
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Wish I could find my yellow book. I'd sell it for less than that. Never did care for it, and bought the nice full size edition from the national clubs. Wish they were still being made.
I think I paid 19 for my little one. I have seen the large green one for 21.00 and been tempted, but I can still read the little one..... Did not know there were quaint drawings in the larger version.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
Old 10-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #9
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
I think I paid 19 for my little one. I have seen the large green one for 21.00 and been tempted, but I can still read the little one..... Did not know there were quaint drawings in the larger version.
yes there are such drawings or cartoons, I don't know the technical name for them, they look somewhat like an imitation of a real photograph. They are hilarious, showing cleanliness standards, efficiency, courtesy, parts displays, etc.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

i have both books mentioned the small yellow hard back is getting tougher to see lately
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
ctvpa

I have the repro set, and an original leather binder, with several original bulletins. My question is, I am negotiating a price on 31 original bulletins. Mostly 27 to Dec 29. What do you think the price should be, he does not have the binder. Any input ?
Old 10-12-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post

Last edited by QGolden; 10-14-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: I wonder why this posted twice???
Old 10-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
larrys40

Ctva

In my opinion if they are really nice original bulletins they would be $10-15 per month, maybe less . I know that sounds like a lot and it is if you pay that for each month/year but if you need some specific issues that's not too bad a full original set in good condition is a $500 bill
I have some very nice v8 originals and I paid between 65-150 and value them about $250. It takes the right person to want and b
To buy them. As most have responded they use the repros. The older Ben stain reprint of the 70's is excellent. In fact I like it better than the Marc/Mafca reprint in the other binder.
Original binders could be $150 by themselves

If you can get them for $5 per month for a couple of years at a chunk that would be a good deal. Good lunch. On my way home from Hershey!!
Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
BlueSunoco

Bought my hard bound yellow Post book in 1971, from whom I can't recall maybe JC Whitney? At any rate I'm sure I didn't pay more than $4 or $6 for it, that was a good price for a book back then...............
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
160B

I have a very nice set of originals I was able to obtain over ten years ago. They had to be in the office of a manager as there are no signs of use, basically new old stock in the correct binder. They must have been in the office of one of the managers.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:26 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

very nice piece 160B keep it safe
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote