Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
Flowmeister

Default Flathead distributor points setting stand

I got this today, I am pretty sure at one time they were fairly common in shops and garages, but it's the first one I have seen.
I believe it is for two bolt distributors only.
I was told it had a powered light bulb on it that would light up when the points closed.
I can't find any tool makers name on it, only a number.
Any more information would be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4383.jpg (73.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4384.jpg (74.6 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4385.jpg (70.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4386.jpg (78.2 KB, 124 views)
Flowmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Flathead distributor points setting stand

This looks like it does three bolt and the two bolt .looks like the top section is removable for the three bolt that fits on the two silver pegs sticking up. needs a bolb holder ,one to points one to battery one to earth

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Mtn Wudy

Someone should "Re-Make" those stands that seems like a great way to set up a dist.Injection molded plastic and alligator clips hooked to a power source...I know,,"Get right on it!".......Thanks for sharing...carl
Old 04-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
hotcoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Wudy View Post
Someone should "Re-Make" those stands that seems like a great way to set up a dist.Injection molded plastic and alligator clips hooked to a power source...I know,,"Get right on it!".......Thanks for sharing...carl
that might be a good profit center for a person with a 3D printer!
tom
hotcoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
moefuzz

Angry Re: Flathead distributor points setting stand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmeister View Post

I got this today....
...I can't find any tool makers name on it, only a number.
Any more information would be appreciated.

What 'number' did you find?

I believe there were at least 2 versions of the early distrib tool made by Waco, -maybe more.
If I recall there was the model X-140 and model X-12127. Don't recall what the difference was though.

The X-12127 model number was designated by Ford under Ford's parts numbering system hence the familiar 12127 (distributor) designation.

The X-140 designation may have been Waco's official part number but that is just a guess.

I don't know if much info is available on the web or not,
Perhaps a search of Waco x-140 or Waco X-12127 would lead a person somewhere.......
I have the same unit that is shown above as well as it is properly referenced in the Ford of Canada Service Bulletins (circa 1940's).
If anyone is interested I can post up the pages which show both a description and proper use of the tool, (I will need to scan them first).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmeister View Post

I believe it is for two bolt distributors only.

FWIW, most people that have Waco timing fixtures are missing the adapter plates and/or other do-dads that came with it (that includes me).
Your Distributor fixture (like mine) works with both 2 and 3 bolt distribs but you might be missing the other adapter plate? I think the plates were used in certain combinations and/or singularly depending on whether you needed to set a 2 bolt, 3 bolt or 4 cylinder distributor.

As far as the light bulb goes, It's easy enough to fasten a simple power source (battery or adapter) and light bulb up to help you adjust your distributor. I think the principle involves rocking the distributor shaft back and forth to open and close the points which cause the light to blink off/on (open/closed).

Honestly I've never used the distributor fixture as It's easy enough to time early distributors on the bench using a straight edge and your trusty service bulletins.

I also seem to recall getting a photocopy of an original one page info sheet about 20 years ago from a local flatlander but not sure were the heel I would have put that? Alzheimer's is a wonderful thing isn't it?

Last edited by moefuzz; 05-09-2014 at 08:09 AM.
moefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote