Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
ctvpa

Default Cut out

Is the cut out (above the generator) on a 34 V8 the same as Model A? Are they be interchangeable ?
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Cut out

Yes
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #3
BILL WZOREK

ctvpa:
Is this a follow up to the Generator problem you were having ? Also how did that turn out?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
koates

Hi there, As BILL has asked an update on all your generator problems would be good especially as to all the answers given. Re ford cut outs. They are all similar (original ford ones, NOT REPO) but there are around 10 variations at a guess between model T and 1939. The main variations are the mounting base, top markings and terminals. All would work on your 34 ford at a pinch. Two types were original to your 34, that's not including the oval shaped voltage regulator type. As I have stated before BEWARE of some of the Repo junk. There are some with tiny diodes inside which are rated at only 5 amps which is way to low. Better quality diode types are rated at 20 amps. Then there is the "FUN PROJECTS" electronic regulator type which is quite good. If buying a diode or electronic type you would have to specify positive ground for your car. Original ford cut outs will operate OK on Positive or Negative ground and are the best quality cut outs by far if you can find a nice one. Buy the 33-34 ford book produced by the Early Ford V8 club and you will learn a lot of correct info from it including cut outs. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
ctvpa

Sorry for the delay in reply. And thank you to all that helped.
I did post an "Update" http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126909
As far as the generator in the Model A, I have not been able to get it to work. The growler tested fine, everything tested out fine. But still no output. One reply was from a man that sounds very knowledgable, he mentioned a 'centrifical fault' where the growler test is fine, but when you spin the armature centrifical force causes a lose wire or connection. So I'm going to surrender to the God of Electric and get another.

Regarding the generator for the V8 I had a conversation with the rebuilder. He states the issue of 6 vs 12 volt is MY fault. He states I sent him a 12 volt generator. He started to get rather rude.
My car has 47k original miles, has taken a national Best of Show, there is no way I sent him a 12 volt. I sent him a copy of the order request stating 6 volts, a copy of the email stating 6 volts, a copy of the letter I sent attached to the generator stating 6 volt, and the printed tag they attached to the generator saying that it is set for 6 volts. He states that dispite all this information, the policy is to rebuild what I sent.

All this information convienced them to correct the generator. The tracking shows I should get it Firday. Keep your fingers crossed.
Thank you all

Last edited by ctvpa; 01-06-2014 at 04:34 PM.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote