Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2021, 10:28 PM   #21
Newc

Default Re: 1951 8BA Flathead

Remember your eng is using a loadmatic dist- good as original not for multiple carbs. Just drive it. great car. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #22
Lakesmodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Remember your eng is using a loadmatic dist- good as original not for multiple carbs. Just drive it. great car. Newc
Newc, so do I need a different distributor if I’m going to run a small 4bbl carburetor?
Lakesmodified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:06 AM   #23
rotorwrench

A lot of DIY guys are using converted GM distributors (early type) so they can have both mechanical spark advance and vacuum load control. I'm not sure if the 390 CFM Holley 4V carb that is recommended for flathead use has a port for load control but it might. The vacuum cans for the GM distributor can be purchased with the adjustable orifice inside so they can be tuned to work with a direct intake manifold pressure connection. This gives both performance and economy for street use. A person can use one of the old Mallory designs with centrifugal advance only but there is a loss of economy with these types. If the timing isn't right, the old flatheads tend to run warmer than I would care for in the heat of the summer months

The aluminum heads really have that old timey look but believe it or not, a person can get just as good or better performance with a set of EAB cylinder heads. For higher than stock compression, the cast iron heads like the 8BA and EAB can be milled but a person needs to insure that both are milled to the same dimension and that there is no less than .050" piston crown to chamber clearance when installed. Ford had the chamber design down pretty good. Most of the aftermarket designs aren't quite the same and many were designed for deck reliefs which have sort of fallen out of favor over the years.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #24
flatjack9

I've got a friend who ordered a set of Edelbrocks before Christmas and still does not even have a shipping date yet.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #25
Lakesmodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
I've got a friend who ordered a set of Edelbrocks before Christmas and still does not even have a shipping date yet.
Thanks for that information. I ordered a set of American Racing wheels, Sept 2020, for a CJ5 I just sold a month ago; I finally received them March 2021!
I checked with H&H Flatheads today, and SUPPOSEDLY, they can get me a set of Navarro heads for $1050(+$400 if you want them polished) by Mid-November
Old 09-10-2021, 10:03 PM   #26
38 coupe

I will add my vote to stock cast iron heads milled to achieve 0.050 piston to head clearance. Since you already have one EAB you might as well find the other side and give the pair the treatment. A good tune up and an overdrive transmission will get you cruising at 75 mph. Milled heads will allow you to get there just a bit quicker.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:49 AM   #27
Ken Henry

Your car looks awesome, I even like the wheels. For engine mods there is a book called Flathead Facts with a lot of good information and dyno testing results. I may have an orphan EAB head if you go that route, would need t check my stash for left side… Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 05:45 PM   #28
Lakesmodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Henry View Post
Your car looks awesome, I even like the wheels. For engine mods there is a book called Flathead Facts with a lot of good information and dyno testing results. I may have an orphan EAB head if you go that route, would need t check my stash for left side… Ken
Thanks, it’s definitely a cool car. If you do have the left EAB Head, how much would you want for it? I’m thinking of the Edelbrock Heads, IF & WHEN, they become available again; not for really anything else, other than being a matched set and the cool factor of the aluminum heads. You may be able to answer a question for me: I still haven’t been able to actually get my Vicky home because of transportation issues, so there’s certain things I can’t verify. Do you know the largest tire/wheel width that fits without tire rub? Thanks, Ivan
Old 09-11-2021, 07:55 PM   #29
tubman

I can tell you that 225/75R15 Coker Classics are just a bit too large to fit on my '51 club coupe. If I go around a sharp turn going up or down hill too fast, I can hear them contact the fender lip and if you look closely, you can see it too. When I restored the car. I went through the springs and replaced all of the bushings, so it can't be very loose. The tires are mounted on some later Ford wheels ('55, '56?) that are 1/2" wider than the stock wheels with the same offset.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 09:44 PM   #30
Lakesmodified

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I can tell you that 225/75R15 Coker Classics are just a bit too large to fit on my '51 club coupe. If I go around a sharp turn going up or down hill too fast, I can hear them contact the fender lip and if you look closely, you can see it too. When I restored the car. I went through the springs and replaced all of the bushings, so it can't be very loose. The tires are mounted on some later Ford wheels ('55, '56?) that are 1/2" wider than the stock wheels with the same offset.
Tubman, unfortunately, I don’t have a clue what the stock size wheels are, and whether the ones on my Vicky are “Stock”, so when you mentioned your wheels are 1/2” wider than stock, what’s stock? Do you know what the stock offset is? Thanks
Old 09-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #31
tubman

I'll do some measuring when I get to my shop next week.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote