Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-27-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
oldredford

Default Tires

Any one have experience with universal tires for the Model A 19 inch?
oldredford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:10 PM   #2
Keith True

Default Re: Tires

I've bought a half dozen sets over the years.They hold air,look good,(meaning period) and have never worn one out or had one go flat.Hard,black,and round.My criteria for old car tires.I have two cars with them on right now,one set is over 15 years old.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:39 PM   #3
eagle

I put a set of Universal 21's on my A. Been very happy with them. Its been about 8 years ago now.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:13 PM   #4
Jeff/Illinois

A friend has a set on his '30 Coupe, had them for probably 12-15 years and they still look really good.

I don't think you can go wrong with them. The prices are better too
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:59 PM   #5
700rpm

Most of us don’t drive our cars much. Last year i drove my coupe less than 300 miles and my sedan even less. Yes, it was a Covid year, but still, that was low by about 90% from normal years. Though I have always bought Firestone tires, if I ever have to replace them (unlikely at my age and with Covid restrictions), I would consider a less expensive tire to get me through to my end days.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 10:32 PM   #6
Gil Sissons

In my experience.... there is a reason they are priced just a little over $100....
And many others are $175-$200. I got poor mileage with them. But we drive
the car 6,000+ miles a year. Last year switched to Firestones. Will see how
they do. So far so good.
Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Most of us don’t drive our cars much. Last year i drove my coupe less than 300 miles and my sedan even less. Yes, it was a Covid year, but still, that was low by about 90% from normal years. Though I have always bought Firestone tires, if I ever have to replace them (unlikely at my age and with Covid restrictions), I would consider a less expensive tire to get me through to my end days.
Ray same here. I've been driving the Model A less and less. I probably don't have 40 miles on it this year. Mainly because it is so darn hard to get in and out of it for me anymore. I don't bend like I used to. You have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the car. The A has become 'garage art' it seldom moves anymore.

Now our '36 PU and '69 Mach 1, not the same they get plenty of regular excercise. Getting in and out of them is NO comparison to a Model A Roadster they aren't even in the same ball park. Especially the '36, if you are well over 6' tall like I am you simply step in and out of it there is gobs of room. Watch Clark Gable driving a '36 Ford PU in the movie 'To Please A Lady' and you will see what I mean. He was a tall man and bounds in and out of that vehicle like it was nothing.

Last edited by Jeff/Illinois; 08-30-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-28-2021, 02:40 PM   #8
ronn

If I was smart I'd unload the Model A and look for something else We need to part company. The future doesn't look any better for driving this car. Time to move up to the late 60's cars again. Ford of course

buy a vicki- plenty of in and out room...............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
Keith True

My 30 open pickup and 31 coupe aren't too bad to deal with,been jumping in and out of those types for years.I bought a 28 Phaeton,and that one seems to be a nightmare for me to wiggle into.Between the wind wings,the steering wheel placement,the left hand parking brake,and the placement of the door pillar it is a real problem.The parking brake is in the way of my leg while driving too.As much as I like the car,it is not a fun A for me to drive.I'll be looking for another A to trade it for at some point.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 04:40 PM   #10
Gene F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Ray same here. I've been driving the Model A less and less. I probably don't have 40 miles on it this year. Mainly because it is so darn hard to get in and out of it for me anymore. I don't bend like I used to. You have to be a contortionist to get in and out of the car. The A has become 'garage art' it seldom moves anymore.

Now our '36 PU and '69 Mach 1, not the same they get plenty of regular excercise. Getting in and out of them is NO comparison to a Model A Roadster they aren't even in the same ball park. Especially the '36, if you are well over 6' tall like I am you simply step in and out of it there is gobs of room. Watch Clark Gable driving a '36 Ford PU in the movie 'To Please A Lady' and you will see what I mean. He was a tall man and bounds in and out of that vehicle like it was nothing.

If I was smart I'd unload the Model A and look for something else We need to part company. The future doesn't look any better for driving this car. Time to move up to the late 60's cars again. Ford of course
Jeff, do you have a Grandson? Perhaps...
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 05:13 PM   #11
eagle

I've been real happy with the tire life on my Universals.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
GeneBob

My Tudor came with a brand new set of Universal's on it. I thought I would switch to 16" when I wore out the Universal's. It appears that I will be in my 90's (I am 61) before these wear out. My only complaint is that they follow rain grooves on the highway pretty bad.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #13
Kinner

I second the Vicky vote
Kinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:54 PM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
Jeff, do you have a Grandson? Perhaps...
Yes, and two siblings and a spouse that would shoot me for selling it they like the car!!

Worst Model A Ford I EVER got in and out of was a '28 Roadster PU. I love them they are neat cars, but after trying to drive one once almost 20 years ago, there is NO way I could ever justify having one.

At least a '30 Dlx. Roadster has an inch and a half wider door! Must have been some complaints even when the cars were new. That plus if the top is down you can spring in and out pretty easily!
Old 08-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
I've been real happy with the tire life on my Universals.
Yes and I apologize for leading this thread astray. Back to the subject.

I have been on the phone calling around about Goodyear's and it seems about everyone is out of them. I spoke with a guy at Kelsey's and he said they are backordered and hopefully will be in after the first of the year. He said try back the first of December. He talked like they were made overseas?? I thought they were American made. Maybe it is some of the components they are waiting on.

Coker has a pretty good deal on American Classic radials, money wise about the same as Goodyear diamond treads until tomorrow. $80 off a set of four.

After MUCH soul searching on how I use the car, and how little I drive it anymore, I decided I didn't really need radials. I like the looks of the Goodyears a little better too
Old 08-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #16
Gil Sissons

Lucas shows Goodyear’s on hand....priced @$210

Gil. NoCal
Gil Sissons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:22 AM   #17
TerryO

Quote:
After MUCH soul searching on how I use the car, and how little I drive it anymore, I decided I didn't really need radials. I like the looks of the Goodyears a little better too
If you go radials you'll never look back...
TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 09:03 AM   #18
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
If you go radials you'll never look back...
TOB
Terry everybody back here tells me that very same thing

I believe in what seasoned Model A veterans have also said, that a Model A Ford set up to exact factory specs runs and drives and handles and stops very very well. I guess I'd be a-feared (as Jed Clampett would say) that perhaps radials in all of their glory may be disguising a situation that needs attended to.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #19
TerryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Terry everybody back here tells me that very same thing

I believe in what seasoned Model A veterans have also said, that a Model A Ford set up to exact factory specs runs and drives and handles and stops very very well. I guess I'd be a-feared (as Jed Clampett would say) that perhaps radials in all of their glory may be disguising a situation that needs attended to.

Try them and you will be surprised how much better a good driving A drives with the radials. It isn't just A's that show a big improvement but the Shelby and Mustang guys who drive their cars also swear by them. Everyone has an opinion but I will never go back to bias tires for a driven car.

TOB
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 01:13 PM   #20
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryO View Post
Try them and you will be surprised how much better a good driving A drives with the radials. It isn't just A's that show a big improvement but the Shelby and Mustang guys who drive their cars also swear by them. Everyone has an opinion but I will never go back to bias tires for a driven car.

TOB
Good point.