Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2021, 12:31 AM   #1
ETAModel

Default Laundry list of repairs...which is first?

The 30 Fordor I'm driving has several "deficiencies", aka needed repairs/maintenance. I know they ALL need tending to, but wondering which would you do first?

It's important to point out I am NOT the owner, kind of the "Caretaker".

Brakes need adjusting (she'll stop, but not like I'd like it to}

Need to pack/tighten front bearings(they feel tight, just wanna see what they look like)

Adjust steering box for correct front end shimmy. ( I know this is a 3 part operation)

Fuel gauge inoperable

Needs thorough lube job (several zerks are missing)

Missing windshield wiper (I've learned at 35 mph wipers aren't needed like at 70)

Check rear axle for lube

Single tail/stop light not consistently working (been using hand signals, daytime driving mostly.)

Correct exhaust leak ( mostly working by myself, kind of waiting on this one)

One lug bolt on front tire has threads stripped, the other four are fine.

There is probably more, but the fireworks outside have me up and I'm not at 100% myself.

Thanks
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:51 AM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Laundry list of repairs...which is first?

As a principle, I would start with the parts closest to the road and work your way inward/upward.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:42 AM   #3
chrs1961815

I would get it safe to drive first. That means checking the fluids, lubing the zerks, adjusting the steering box, and pulling the front drums. If one of your lugs is stripped, that makes me question the integrity of your whole system. Was it ever properly rebuilt? Is this an original car or an older restoration?

Your front end shimmy could be many things, might be some wear on some steering/suspension part or it could be unproper adjustment of something. Again this goes back to the whole condition of the car itself.

Then I would fix your exhaust leak. It could be a bad gasket on the exhaust manifold, a poor connection between the muffler and exhaust, or the manifold might even be warped.

I would then move on to the wiring problem, which from what you describe is most likely a bad ground, short, or loose connection. Again what is the condition of the wiring? I would check your ground, and I would also pull the tail light bracket off of the fender and use some starred lockwashers for the three bolts so it digs into the metal. That would fix it if it were a ground issue. You should also pull the cover off of the tail light and inspect the inside and go from there.

The fuel gauge is a pretty simple and easy fix, you can either buy a whole new one or just replace the float on yours. But beware, use a neoprene one because the cork will not hold up to the gas.

I would not worry about the windshield wiper for now, get the other more important things fixed first.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #4
Will N

IMO, You should do these in this order before you ever take the car out on the road again:
One lug bolt on front tire has threads stripped, the other four are fine.
Check rear axle for lube
Need to pack/tighten front bearings(they feel tight, just wanna see what they look like)
Brakes need adjusting (she'll stop, but not like I'd like it to}
Needs thorough lube job (several zerks are missing)
Adjust steering box for correct front end shimmy. ( I know this is a 3 part operation)
Single tail/stop light not consistently working (been using hand signals, daytime driving mostly.)

Then after you have addressed those safety items, you can address these:

Correct exhaust leak ( mostly working by myself, kind of waiting on this one)
Fuel gauge inoperable
Missing windshield wiper (I've learned at 35 mph wipers aren't needed like at 70)
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 10:23 AM   #5
ETAModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
As a principle, I would start with the parts closest to the road and work your way inward/upward.
That's kind of my thinking, axles, brakes, lugs, steering, etc, etc, etc.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:38 AM   #6
ETAModel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrs1961815 View Post
I would get it safe to drive first. That means checking the fluids, lubing the zerks, adjusting the steering box, and pulling the front drums. If one of your lugs is stripped, that makes me question the integrity of your whole system. Was it ever properly rebuilt? Is this an original car or an older restoration?

Your front end shimmy could be many things, might be some wear on some steering/suspension part or it could be unproper adjustment of something. Again this goes back to the whole condition of the car itself.

Then I would fix your exhaust leak. It could be a bad gasket on the exhaust manifold, a poor connection between the muffler and exhaust, or the manifold might even be warped.

I would then move on to the wiring problem, which from what you describe is most likely a bad ground, short, or loose connection. Again what is the condition of the wiring? I would check your ground, and I would also pull the tail light bracket off of the fender and use some starred lockwashers for the three bolts so it digs into the metal. That would fix it if it were a ground issue. You should also pull the cover off of the tail light and inspect the inside and go from there.

The fuel gauge is a pretty simple and easy fix, you can either buy a whole new one or just replace the float on yours. But beware, use a neoprene one because the cork will not hold up to the gas.

I would not worry about the windshield wiper for now, get the other more important things fixed first.

Im far from an expert on the subject, but I think the car was rebuilt in the early 70's, based on what I've seen and according to the prior owner. I understand it was part of a large collection, and not a daily driver. It is a 6V, has mohair seats and headliner, a pretty strong motor IMO, a tillotson carb and a nice paintjob. I was told it has cast iron drums.
I think the lug was stripped replacing the tires, I was on one side, a friend on the other, mounting the wheels. I lubed the steering box and transmission with STP, as recommended by club members. Still learning about it.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:45 AM   #7
nkaminar

Safety then reliability. In order:

Brakes
Tires/wheels
Steering
Horn
Lights (stop light)
Exhaust leak
Windshield wiper
Lube
Tuneup
Etc.

Make sure the car is safe and reliable before it is driven more than around the yard.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 07-04-2021 at 12:13 PM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:11 PM   #8
Cape Codder

I care that it ALWAYS stops!
Doesn't matter if it starts SOMETIMES! Park it on a hill.
After that pick what you feel comfortable doing.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote