Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
37coop

Default Pd off with Carpenter

I was looking for a replacement 8BA carb,in the V8 times the appropriate carb was listed at $ 324.95,( this is the currant mag that I recieved this week) with Dennis Carpenter,it was also the same in the previous mag,I went on their website to order and the price was $ 384.95 ,mmmmm,so I emailed their people and told them how do I buy the cheaper priced carb..a short ,to the point, reply that I had to order through the website and pay $ 384.95 plus an estimated $ 190 shipping to the UK,no explanation as to why I couldn't buy at the mag price.
A bit cheesed off dealing with them..over the last 30 plus years I have spent thousands,I think they have been the big cheese for so long they have become arrogant,MUCH prefer C&G,proper personal service,anyway through the Ford Barn my carb problem is being sold by Swedish member Mauritz,so. two ( or maybe one) fingers up to Carpenter.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:09 AM   #2
37coop

Default Re: Pd off with Carpenter

Should be solved not sold.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:48 AM   #3
Vic Piano

A question for you. If you prefer C&G why didn't you just buy a carburetor from them? I'm just curious as I've dealt with Dennis Carpenter, C&G and many other parts providers for many years, and for the most part have had excellent service. That said, there are a few that I won't deal with, but no need to mention them.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
37coop

Because the price of the Carpenter carb was advertised in v8 times at around $60 less than C& G,with shipping and tax this end at 20% of the total bill I need to save if I can, I personally think if I get bad service I,m entitled to voice it.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
skidmarks

If its advertised in the V8 times and they wont honor the advertised price contact the V8 times. If they wont do anything or carpenter wont honor the sales price atleast making others aware will effect other possible sales.

Is it because your overseas?
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:41 AM   #6
TJ

I went through this same problem sometime back when the carb was advertised for $295 in the V-8 Times. They tried to charge me $324.95. I was real persistent and finally somebody talked to whoever was the ad person and they admitted they forgot to change the ad. I got the carb for the advertised price. It took a couple of phone calls to get it done. I can't recall who I talked to at the time. The V-8 Times runs whatever ad is submitted to them, so it's up to the vendor to make sure their ad is up to date.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:46 AM   #7
37coop

I don't think it's anything to do with overseas,if it is it should have stated USA only in the ad...when I asked about me buying at the V8 mag price he just replied I would be paying the full price..no explanation which is really what has bugged me..I resisted another Email asking why,I just wasn't in the mood for a backward forward email argument,but as in previous Ford Barn discussions with various members such issues in my opinion should be discussed,that's partly what this forum is all about ,to help and advise and tell. Thanks
Old 08-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #8
skidmarks

Then they should honor the advertised price and carpenter can take up the problem up with who ever is in charge of submitting the ads to the V8 times
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Then they should honor the advertised price and carpenter can take up the problem up with who ever is in charge of submitting the ads to the V8 times
Absolutely correct. The advertised price is the price. It's entirely up to them to update their ads. Like I said I had to be persistent in getting them to sell me the carburetor at the advertised price.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:51 AM   #10
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
so I emailed their people and told them how do I buy the cheaper priced carb..
I think you would have gotten a LOT further with a phone call than an email. Calling and talking with someone, then if they couldn't help you, moving up the chain of command until someone FINALLY honored the advertised price... probably would have worked.

If a serious issue arises, 99% of the time, a phone call will go a LOT further than an email.

Good Luck
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 12:06 PM   #11
DavidG

With a 5-hour time difference involved plus the extra cost of an overseas call, using e-mail makes sense and should not make a difference. The advertised price in their current ad is the price that should be honored, no ifs, ands, or buts. Dennis is no longer actively involved in the business, but those that are should be made aware of current advertised prices.

If you do not get satisfaction, you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau via the internet and then you will.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
37coop

Regarding a phone call I agree to a point,you have to take into account I live in the UK ,a lpossibly long phone call, being passed from one person to another I could lose the will to live and end up with the phone call costing almost as much as the saving I,m trying to get on the carb.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #13
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37coop View Post
Because the price of the Carpenter carb was advertised in v8 times at around $60 less than C& G,with shipping and tax this end at 20% of the total bill I need to save if I can, I personally think if I get bad service I,m entitled to voice it.
You are entitled to voice your opinion. You are also entitled to do business with whoever you choose. A $60.00 difference in price is a significant amount for (I'm assuming) the same carb. I would have questioned that up front. At any rate, I hope everything works out to your satisfaction.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #14
KiWinUS

Suggestion, buy a rebuilt "Genuine Made in USA" carb from charlieNY here on the barn , he will ship to you in UK. & you know from him
it will be a first class carb with first class service! & like I previously stated USA made.
I live here in Charlotte & work very close to Carpenters & witnessed the "Made in China" printed on the boxes the parts were being removed from for assembly(I was probably not supposed to have gone in this room)
Good Luck!
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #15
Graeme / New Zealand

I always go to G&G site first and I find their shipping prices very reasonable. They will ship at the best rate. I experience the opposite to you. Cheaper to ship from C&G than Carpenter. Then again C&G is west coast and I'm in the Pacific. For you it is logical that it is the opposite. Never had a complaint about C&Gs service...I think I will be very disappointed if I do. Carpenter has been good to me too but I think it is common practice for all the vendors that take Chinese made to do their best to hide it or rebag it because of the stigma. I find that If I ask C&G where the part is made they will tell me.
Kyle there gives you personal service as opposed to "conglomerate" service.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 11:35 PM   #16
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand View Post
I always go to G&G site first and I find their shipping prices very reasonable. They will ship at the best rate. I experience the opposite to you. Cheaper to ship from C&G than Carpenter. Then again C&G is west coast and I'm in the Pacific. For you it is logical that it is the opposite. Never had a complaint about C&Gs service...I think I will be very disappointed if I do. Carpenter has been good to me too but I think it is common practice for all the vendors that take Chinese made to do their best to hide it or rebag it because of the stigma. I find that If I ask C&G where the part is made they will tell me.
Kyle there gives you personal service as opposed to "conglomerate" service.

GB
Of course reasonable postage is relative when we are so far away from the States. C&G has been good to me but sometimes orders take a while to arrive and I suspect overseas orders don't get the advertised same day dispatch.

We are lucky to get parts . Just come in from my garage very dejected as have just discovered a bearing knock in my 1910 Hupmobile -Try getting parts for that !-Karl
Old 08-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #17
Tinker

I've had decent results with just local joes rebuilders most times. They have a shingle outside and have more to lose. I'm sure they also have issue with parts.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:23 AM   #18
Jembow

You are, I assume, aware that Clive the Stromberg man operates from Suffolk?
https://www.stromberg-97.com/
Jembow is offline   Reply With Quote