Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
37coop

Default 37 zephyr coupe door hinge removal

Hi guys..I,v had my 37 Zephyr coupe partly dismantled for near 30 years and am now gonna make a start on it.i need the doors off to repair them,the pins won't move,tried heat etc. advice from a talented friend was cut the hinges halfway between the door and the pin and when the work done weld them back together...well ,sort of reluctant to just do it without a bit of feedback,has anybody done this? The gaps are at the moment perfect ,what is the chances of the same when I weld them back and would a mig weld be strong enough ?
Your advice would be appreciated cheers. Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #2
rockfla

Default Re: 37 zephyr coupe door hinge removal

Ken in Alabama here on the barn would be the one who immediately comes to mind who has lots of restoration experience with the Lincoln Zephyrs. As for the re- Alignment question, I have seen guys drill a fairly small hole or two from the hinge to the body and from the hinge to the door so at reassembly time you can stick a small dowel or pin in the holes and align the hinges exactly where they come off as a quick and easy way....My question and concern for these "older" cars and being faithful to the restoration is having added holes in your hinges and exactly when do they repair the holes after mounting and how do you handle the finishing of them???
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:28 PM   #3
V12Bill

My post war Lincolns had the hinges welded to the doors, but bolted to the piller. The nuts are usually rusty and it will take a lot of penetrating oil and heat to break them loose. I would not cut the hinge. You will have a hard time getting a good weld and lining up the hinge at the same time.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
tubman

As "V12Bill" says , the bolts (usually large screws) holding the doors are difficult to get out. There is a thread on the H.A.M.B. about how to make a device out of a cheap air hammer that makes removing them a reasonable project. Cutting the hinges seems like an action of last resort to me.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
ford38v8

If like the Ford hinge pins, they tend to rust-lock at the upper knurled section. Drake's pin remover being a joke, center drill with increasing diameter bits till the wall is thin enough to collapse.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #6
tubman

Try this before drilling them out : https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...15/#post-87560.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
If like the Ford hinge pins, they tend to rust-lock at the upper knurled section. Drake's pin remover being a joke, center drill with increasing diameter bits till the wall is thin enough to collapse.
I agree, on mine I center punched the head of the pin then drilled about a 1/8" hole into the pin. Then went larger and just the thickness of the head . Keep going large enough till your able to take a chisel and knock the head off the pin. Now you'll be able to drill the pin being careful not to cut into the hinge .Try drilling about half way down . Get it thin as you can then put a punch down in the hole and try to drive it out. By not drilling all way through it gives you something to drive against.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
I agree, on mine I center punched the head of the pin then drilled about a 1/8" hole into the pin. Then went larger and just the thickness of the head . Keep going large enough till your able to take a chisel and knock the head off the pin. Now you'll be able to drill the pin being careful not to cut into the hinge .Try drilling about half way down . Get it thin as you can then put a punch down in the hole and try to drive it out. By not drilling all way through it gives you something to drive against.
Ken's got it down. And when the head comes off, that's additional confirmation of your drilling exact center.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:04 AM   #9
37coop

Mmmmm..I was hoping you would all say,yup,that's the way to go,easy job, but as with most things in this hobby rarely simple,the top hinge bolts go behind the top of the dash which is not removeable...impossible to get to,I,ll take on board all that's been said before I do anything drastic that I might later regret,
Many thanks for your reply,s cheers. Jim.
37coop is offline   Reply With Quote