Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
firerod

Default 8ba Edmunds intake

Hello, I bought a 8ba with a Edmunds regular 2x2 intake manifold. I can't find any info. on this manifold. Anyone know how they perform compared to the more popular intakes (Navarro, Offy, Edelbrock, etc...)? Thanks.
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Ol' Ron

Default Re: 8ba Edmunds intake

They have some issues, but so do some of the others. Probably the worst issue is port alignment. Check with an intake gasket. Also most of the old low riser intakes need a 2" spacer under the carb. Check out JWL's book.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:05 PM   #3
V8 Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by firerod View Post
Hello, I bought a 8ba with a Edmunds regular 2x2 intake manifold. I can't find any info. on this manifold. Anyone know how they perform compared to the more popular intakes (Navarro, Offy, Edelbrock, etc...)? Thanks.
If you can get by with the very odd carb location and spacing, it will perform OK for normal driving, as I ran one for awhile on my stock '51. I finally found an Edelbrock regular dual and sold the Edmunds. No real performance difference that I could feel, just a much better looking intake, IMO.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
tubman

Yeah, your right about that; across the whole line, Edmunds made the ugliest intake manifolds, hand's down. Their heads (at least for 8BA's) are on my list of favorites.

Last edited by tubman; 02-02-2018 at 09:24 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
firerod

Thanks for the replies. I may just leave it on and try it.
firerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #6
Alaska Jim

The one exception of the Edmunds manifolds is the Edmunds Racing 2x2 Intake the carbs are spacer directly over the intake runners. This does present a problem with the generator. you would need an offset mount, as the front carb being directly over the ports does not leave any room. I have one of these manifolds. I have had it over 20 years, I was always going to put it on my 51 merc, which is all stock, survivor car with only 88K actual miles on it. I have not been able to bring myself to put it on, because the car runs so darn well the way it is. if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have posted a picture of this manifold before, but I have lost all my photos when my other lap top took a crap last spring. I know " tubman" was in on the discussion of this manifold, maybe he still has a picture of it. I would not say that it is rare, but I have only ever seen 2 others for sale in 20 years, and have never seen another in person. I wish some one had done some flow work on one of these as I always wondered how much better it was.---Jim
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #7
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Yeah, your right about that; across the whole line, Edmunds made the ugliest intake manifolds, hand's down.
I don't know, the Fenton manifolds (and the various private label derivatives) always bring a bad taste to my mouth! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:10 PM   #8
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I don't know, the Fenton manifolds (and the various private label derivatives) always bring a bad taste to my mouth! LOL
Dale,

I'm gonna take some pictures of a Fenton 4-BBL and an Edmunds version, and I'll let you make your own decision. BTW, I have heard that the Fenton is the best of all the early 4-BBL manifolds.

I am going to do a "mini-comparison" on these this summer. I have Fenton, Edmunds, and Sharp manifolds and a rebuilt WCFB and a fresh 4GC. They have "Run what ya' brung" Wednesday nights at BIR (Brainerd Internationl Raceway) which is 25 miles from me, so I'm gonna see if I can find some guys that want to come down and do some quick swaps on the '51 Merc in my '51 Ford. It should be fun, if nothing else. If I'm lucky, I won't break the time that requires a roll bar.

Last edited by tubman; 02-05-2018 at 07:35 PM.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
flatford8

This is mine.......I don’t know much about it.....got it cheap with two carbs at a local Diner cruise-in.....I have different air cleaners on it now, but I still don’t have it in the car......Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A3F60536-856A-4455-BB92-89F104F21871.jpg (93.4 KB, 68 views)
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:18 PM   #10
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I am going to do a "mini-comparison" on these this summer. I have Fenton, Edmunds, and Sharp manifolds and a rebuilt WCFB and a fresh 4GC. They have "Run what ya' brung" Wednesday nights at BIR (Brainerd Internationl Raceway) which is 25 miles from me, so I'm gonna see if
I believe I've heard in the past that the 4Barrel manifold from Speedway runs really well - and it is designed for the modern Holley baseplate. You should try to get one of those for your testing - and maybe a 390 or 600 cfm Holley.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...lane,6754.html

2-5-2018 9-19-05 PM.jpg
Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 PM   #11
Bored&Stroked

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
This is mine.......I don’t know much about it.....got it cheap with two carbs at a local Diner cruise-in.....I have different air cleaners on it now, but I still don’t have it in the car......Mark
I believe that is one of the gazillions of variants of an Edmunds manifold. Anybody know?

D