Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-01-2017, 06:11 AM   #1
PeteVS

Default PhotoBucket making changes...

I just got this on another forum-

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...e-hosting.html
Old 07-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: PhotoBucket making changes...

Some store in the "cloud" me I store on my computer and post from there. Not that I follow my own advice, which may bit me and really need to do as I am going to suggest, every so often it would be a good idea, esp family photos to save on a disk or flash drive.
Old 07-01-2017, 01:45 PM   #3
Mart

It looks like pb users will have to upgrade to a paying account to allow third party linking. As that is how most of my pics are hosted when I post them on here (along with many others) there will be a lot of older threads where the pictures will no longer show.

I just downloaded all my pics off photobucket in case they become no longer accessible to me.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

That has always been a problem (now a bigger one!) with linked photos. I find in a lot of searched/archived threads where all or at least a lot of the photos are no longer available. Very frustrating sometimes when you find something very interesting.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
It looks like pb users will have to upgrade to a paying account to allow third party linking. As that is how most of my pics are hosted when I post them on here (along with many others) there will be a lot of older threads where the pictures will no longer show.

I just downloaded all my pics off photobucket in case they become no longer accessible to me.

Mart.
Mart: I've already downloaded your complete '33 rebuild thread and the pictures onto my MAC. Can't lose that one!
Old 07-02-2017, 03:14 AM   #6
Mart

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I just checked, and sure enough, while some of the pics are there, a lot have been replaced with a photobucket clock symbol.

Well it was good while it lasted.

Most of the tech threads will be completely useless now.

Dayum.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:37 AM   #7
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
Some store in the "cloud" me I store on my computer and post from there. Not that I follow my own advice, which may bit me and really need to do as I am going to suggest, every so often it would be a good idea, esp family photos to save on a disk or flash drive.
I have a MAC and use software from them called "time machine" to back up to a local hard drive. I keep the hard drive separate from my computer in case someone breaks in and steals my computer. I frequently back my camera card to my computer as a second copy and when time my camera card gets full I back it up to a cd so that is a worst case backup. I am also considering some of the cloud back up services as another copy. I currently have about 37,000 family pictures in my computer and my next project is to scan some old photos and negatives. My wife thinks I am paranoid but that is another story

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-02-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 05:13 AM   #8
PeteVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
My wife thinks I am paranoid but that is another story

Charlie Stephens
Just because you're paranoid, it doesn't mean there isn't anyone out to get you...
Old 07-02-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Randy in ca

This is such bad news and so frustrating, as people have been warned so many times in so many threads that something like this (or so many other things) couid easily happen with the pictures in thousands of threads being lost, rendering them useless in many cases. LOAD THEM INTO FORDBARN AND THEY'LL MOST LIKELY BE THERE AS LONG AS FORDBARN ITSELF IS STILL AROUND.
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

If the story is real and not "fake news" I put Photobuckets decision right up with the ransomware attack of a couple of weeks ago. From a PR standpoint it is like finding a rat in the kitchen of a fast food restaurant. I am all in favor of a company making a profit but the way this was handled I think will put them out of business. Isn't capitalism great!!

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-02-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #11
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy in ca View Post
................... LOAD THEM INTO FORDBARN AND THEY'LL MOST LIKELY BE THERE AS LONG AS FORDBARN ITSELF IS STILL AROUND.
I completely agree with this statement. I don't know how many times I've been reading a thread on this forum, and other forums that I belong to and encounter dead Photo Bucket links. Lots of good information lost. Sometimes the OP will resubmit the photos, but most of the time they don't.

The statement above also works for other forums that you belong to as well.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #12
holdover

been using PB for many years, always thought it was a great way to share PICS, but good things come to an end some times. If there are some IT guys on this site that could coach us with a work around, that would be great, especially the way to download directly form our computer to the site/forum directly. like a copy and paste, that sometimes works on selected forums

thanks for all and any help.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:36 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
If there are some IT guys on this site that could coach us with a work around, that would be great, especially the way to download directly form our computer to the site/forum directly.
Not sure I totally understand your question here. Uploading photos directly from your computer is simple and straight forward if that is what you are referring to. That is the way most of the post with embedded photos are done. These are the photos that you click on to enlarge. If you need any assistance in using the direct upload there is a guide on the Barn or a lot of folks willing to answer questions.

Here are some screenshots of the process. Under EDIT select GO ADVANCED and the shown screen pops up. On the advanced screen click on the down arrow next to the paperclip (there are other ways to do this, but this is the method I use most of the time) and the MANAGE ATTACHMENTS screen pops up. Select BROWSE and locate the photo file you want to upload on your computer and select it (be sure it is within the size requirements listed). Then select UPLOAD and wait for the file to upload. Then just select SAVE on the original edit page.

A lot of photos are too large a format to upload this way and need to be resized to less than around 558.9 KB for a jpg. I use Microsoft Photo Editor to do this, but there are other methods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (52.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Capture2.jpg (38.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 07-02-2017 at 12:50 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #14
51 MERC-CT

Just stripped mine bare and loaded this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fwell.jpg (88.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
oldford2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
Just stripped mine bare and loaded this.
Well, I have the same problem. Can not copy my Photobucket photos like I used to. How did you "strip it bare"? That is what I want to do. Photobucket is so overloaded with ads it is unbelievable. I need to rescue my photos!!!
Thanks
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:41 PM   #16
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldford2 View Post
Well, I have the same problem. Can not copy my Photobucket photos like I used to. How did you "strip it bare"? That is what I want to do. Photobucket is so overloaded with ads it is unbelievable. I need to rescue my photos!!!
Thanks
John
Open each one, right click on image, select 'save image as'.
The ones you may already have copies of can just be deleted.