Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2021, 08:13 PM   #1
shew01

Default How difficult would it be to convert this water heater from 12V to 6V?

How difficult would it be to convert this water heater, which does *not* come with a switch, from 12V to 6V? (By the way, my Victoria has a 6V alternator with positive ground. The slim design *might* fit in the floor, behind the stick shift with the water pipes pointing up.)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZTNDP8...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Would it just be a matter of replacing the fans? (I've searched, and I didn't find any fans that I thought would be suitable, but electricals are not my strong suit.)

Would a Model A 6V battery and alternator have enough juice to power two 6v fans?

Here is a unit that appears to come with a switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07K2CSQQ3...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Would that switch likely work with 12V and 6V?
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #2
shew01

Default Re: How difficult would it be to convert this water heater from 12V to 6V?

This switch might work, but I'm still wondering about the fans.

https://smile.amazon.com/Motor-Gover...omotive&sr=1-2
Old 01-23-2021, 08:59 PM   #3
AL in NY

Default Re: How difficult would it be to convert this water heater from 12V to 6V?

I would look for a 6vDC to 12VDC convertor......Look in Amazon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6VDC to 12VDC convertor.jpg (28.1 KB, 66 views)
Old 01-23-2021, 10:10 PM   #4
Synchro909

I suspect the only thing/s electric in that heater are the fans. There appear to be two of them so pull it apart and connect them in series.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:18 PM   #5
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I suspect the only thing/s electric in that heater are the fans. There appear to be two of them so pull it apart and connect them in series.

I have bought it yet. I’m still trying to think this through. Amazon doesn’t have the current draw on its web site as far as I can tell.

What is the “normal” wire size for the Model A? 12 AWG? That would be sufficient for up to 20 amps, correct? (The heavier duty convert is only 10 amps.)

DIGITEN DC 6V 5-11V to 12V 10A Step up Converter Regulator Waterproof Boost Power Module https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B019GY2F...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-24-2021, 09:28 AM   #6
nkaminar

Changing the fans from parallel to series would appropriate for changing from 6 volts to 12 volts but would not work for changing from 12 volts to 6 volts. If they are in series to begin with (unlikely) you can change them to parallel. Otherwise, changing out the fans is the best approach. Or just run it on 6 volts for reduced air flow.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
Badpuppy

The LED dimmer switch probably won't handle the fan current. Easiest to run it on 6V with a simple toggle switch. The second item you referenced includes a higher powered dimmer, which you certainly don't need.

A more important consideration is that the fan circuit may well be in common with the housing. Negative battery on the housing will short through the coolant directly to the engine's positive ground. If this is the case it can be remedied by either reversing the fan connections - reversing the air flow - or insulating the fan mounts from the housing.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Likely all that it will do by powering with 6 volts is it will cut the speed in half. Try it on the bench with 6v and see if the motor gets excessively warm while running.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:25 PM   #9
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badpuppy View Post
The LED dimmer switch probably won't handle the fan current. Easiest to run it on 6V with a simple toggle switch. The second item you referenced includes a higher powered dimmer, which you certainly don't need.

A more important consideration is that the fan circuit may well be in common with the housing. Negative battery on the housing will short through the coolant directly to the engine's positive ground. If this is the case it can be remedied by either reversing the fan connections - reversing the air flow - or insulating the fan mounts from the housing.

Here is a picture of the fans. They look like computer fans. To me, they don’t appear to grounded to the case.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Likely all that it will do by powering with 6 volts is it will cut the speed in half. Try it on the bench with 6v and see if the motor gets excessively warm while running.

That’s probably the best path to try.

Old 01-24-2021, 04:54 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
That’s probably the best path to try.

My earlier post about connecting the fans in series was wrong - sorry 'bout that!
Running it on 6 volts would drop the power of the fans to one quarter of what it was. I would not recommend it. Power is proportional to the square of the voltage so halving the volts reduces the power to 1/4.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #12
nkaminar

5 Volt fans computer fans are available on eBay. They could probably be run on 6 or 7 volts without any damage.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #13
shew01

Quote:
My earlier post about connecting the fans in series was wrong - sorry 'bout that!
Running it on 6 volts would drop the power of the fans to one quarter of what it was. I would not recommend it. Power is proportional to the square of the voltage so halving the volts reduces the power to 1/4.

Again, electricals are not my wrong suit. Other than reduced air throughput, why would you not recommend running the 12V fans on 6V? (By the way, thanks for the post. I was thinking it would reduce the power to 1/2.)

Old 01-24-2021, 09:19 PM   #14
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
5 Volt fans computer fans are available on eBay. They could probably be run on 6 or 7 volts without any damage.

Thanks. I’ve been looking on Amazon too. I suppose it’s a roll of the dice on replacement fans. Computer fans are not really made to handle car radiator-style heat. Then, again, the fans that ship with the heater could have a short life as well.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:22 PM   #15
Jack Shaft
BANNED

When comfort and covienience merges,a 12 volt system is the answer.Component cost is lower and the selection is better.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:33 PM   #16
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by shew01 View Post
Again, electricals are not my wrong suit. Other than reduced air throughput, why would you not recommend running the 12V fans on 6V? (By the way, thanks for the post. I was thinking it would reduce the power to 1/2.)

When the motor is running at 1/4 speed, it won't move much air and can be easy to stall. That can lead to a burnout.
Old 01-25-2021, 05:16 AM   #17
shew01

Quote:
When the motor is running at 1/4 speed, it won't move much air and can be easy to stall. That can lead to a burnout.

Thanks.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:18 AM   #18
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
When comfort and covienience merges,a 12 volt system is the answer.Component cost is lower and the selection is better.

Up to this point, I haven’t seen much of a compelling reason to convert to 12V. (My car normally starts on first crank on 6V.) But, I can see how 12V would be tempting. You are correct. Virtually everything I’ve found is for 12V.

Old 01-25-2021, 05:45 AM   #19
Bruce of MN

This rheostat or another that is billed for auto fans would be better than an LED controller. https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Un...571361&sr=8-10
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #20
jack wingard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
This rheostat or another that is billed for auto fans would be better than an LED controller. https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Un...571361&sr=8-10
Not sure what is trying to be accomplished with the use of a speed controller. A controller only slows motor max. rpm's by decreasing the DC voltage. It can never increase rpm's since it can't increase DC voltage. So a 12v motor run on 6v the rpm's will already be 1/2 speed. Why would anyone want to slow it more?
jack wingard is offline   Reply With Quote