Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #1
SoCal32

Default 1932-34 "DR" registration prefix numbers?

I've got a '32 and a '34 with titles from the 50s that both VINs start with DR (instead of B or 18). Both cars are most likely from California and are completely unrelated as to sellers and have been in the family for decades. I know back in the day the DMV and dealers were a little more laxed when it came to paperwork. Just curious that 2 of our cars had this same thing. Wasn't sure if this was a number that was stencilled on the firewall or an engine number. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by SoCal32; 01-31-2019 at 06:26 PM. Reason: More info in title
SoCal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1932-34 "DR" registration prefix numbers?

DR means "Department Registration" number. Those numbers were usually found in the left front door jamb on a plate that that was riveted in the jamb. It was a number issued by the DMV when the original numbers could not be located. It's possible that the number could have also been placed on the engine as prior to 1955 DMV used engine numbers in California.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #3
SoCal32

The engine number makes more sense. The 34 is still sitting on the original frame and the numbers are easy to see. The 32 may have been on the original frame when purchased in 58 but another 32 frame was used when it was built in the 60s. No DMV tags on the door jambs though in either car.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
deuce lover

Are those numbers anywhere on the titles? Ford did not number the engines - only the transmissions which matched the frame number.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Are those numbers anywhere on the titles? Ford did not number the engines - only the transmissions which matched the frame number.
If I'm following this correctly, we are talking about the DMV adding a number to the engine in the cases where the factory engine did not have one.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
If I'm following this correctly, we are talking about the DMV adding a number to the engine in the cases where the factory engine did not have one.

I lived in CA many many years and never heard of the DMV adding the numbers to the engines.Tho that may be true.They always went by the frame numbers.I'm talking about pre 1948.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
SoCal32

Those numbers are on the titles, not the car anywhere. Numbers are DR#####
Old 02-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #8
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
DR means "Department Registration" number. Those numbers were usually found in the left front door jamb on a plate that that was riveted in the jamb. It was a number issued by the DMV when the original numbers could not be located. It's possible that the number could have also been placed on the engine as prior to 1955 DMV used engine numbers in California.
That is interesting. Some years ago I acquired a pair of '32-'34 Ford Model B 4-cylinder engines out of California that were stamped with DR-xxxxxx numbers and nobody has ever come up with an explanation as to the origin of such numbers.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #9
TJ

For many years the DMV in California required you to notify them if you made an engine change and they would put a DMV number(DR number) on the motor. They then put that number on the registration/ownership certificate to match the motor. Vehicles were in fact registered by motor number for years in California. I realize that is contrary from what we all know about old Ford ID numbers, but that was how California did it. After WWII it was found that innumerable cars had engine changes (to keep them running during the war) and people did not notify DMV. It made it very difficult for law enforcement and insurance companies to recover stolen vehicles. Over time the DMV decided to use frame numbers and body tags to identify cars. By 1955 the VIN system was developed and almost all manufacturers were using the body tags. The early VIN tags were spot welded in the left door jamb, riveted in the door jamb, or riveted to the firewall in most vehicle makes. Over time the VIN numbers got refined to give more information such as body style, engine type, body color, upholstery type, etc. The manufacturers then started using special rosette rivets to attach the body tags. The next step was to standardize the location of the VIN tag in all automobiles. As you can see the ID number system evolved over time and it took awhile to standardize it from state to state and manufacturer to manufacturer. All these changes over the years came about due to pressure from law enforcement and the insurance industry.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
SoCal32

Good explanation that makes the most sense that I've been able to find. Now I wonder what would happen if it ever came up during a traffic stop and the title still used a DR # and the engine had been changed again. You know the police officer would most likely be about 25 and have no idea what they were looking at.

Last edited by SoCal32; 02-02-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: more info
Old 02-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #11
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal32 View Post
Good explanation that makes the most sense that I've been able to find. Now I wonder what would happen if it ever came up during a traffic stop and the title still used a DR # and the engine had been changed again. You know the police officer would most likely be about 25 and have no idea what they were looking at.
Hopefully by now most of those old titles with DR numbers on them have been either lost or rectified by now. When I worked as a police officer I would verify VIN numbers for the car guys in my area. I ran across the old DR numbers fairly frequently when guys were resurrecting old projects that had been sitting for years. It was an easy fix as I ran the frame #(which DMV required ) through the DMV system. In all the cases I worked, I always got a "no record on file" from DMV. That made it easy to correct the title with the frame number on my verification report. If the frame # could not be found then the owner had to go to DMV and get an assigned number and then bond the car for 3 years.