Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
mrmoose

Default 1941 4 cylinder pickup

A lot of folks here and over at the HAMB have been looking for information on the 4 cylinder available in Fords for a short time in the 40s. I've owned for the last 6+ years a 1941 Ford pickup with that 4 cylinder engine. While I'm no expert, mine is largely original and I've learned a little bit about them and was asked to share.
Here is Clem before he arrived in sunny Florida from Wisconsin...previously owned by 2 working farmers and one "gentleman" farmer...

1941Jan06 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Polished up a bit by the new owner...an ungentlemanly farmer wannabe...

100_0354 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

And here's a shot of the little 4 banger. These were exactly the same as the 9N Ford tractor motor with the exception of the air cleaner, fuel pump (gravity feed on the tractor, mechanical on the pickup) and governor (none on the pickup) and were mated to the Ford 4 speed non-synchro transmission. I've seen the HP rated from anywhere from 23 to 40 HP...they are slow, very slow, and as a result did not sell well...it is thought only a few hundred were produced, but I have never been able to verify production numbers. Being rare doesn't make one especially desirable, as again, they are slow. That does not stop me from driving Clem every weekend, and occasionally on weekdays, in Florida traffic. All I do is force everyone around me to have a little more patience...and it has worked thus far. I have had him up to 60, but it took some time getting there. 4.55 rear end. Cruises comfortably at 50 though.

040708 025 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

I have rebuilt the front end and replaced the spring, replaced brakes, and the little truck really goes down the road nice. Clutch is nearly gone though, and Clem shifts very hard and sloppy, so will need to pull tranny in the near future.

040708 023 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

After replacing a blown head gasket and a little cleanup, the little motor looks a little better..(note original wiring harness...risky)

to 120609 007 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

You'll see Clem change little by little over time..

1941 Ford pickup "Clem" by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Had the running boards coated with a bed coating called LinerZ...was applied very hot....tough stuff, and I don't slip off the boards when wet now...

1941 Ford pickup runningboard by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Clem does not shirk from work....

to 062809 016 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

1941 Ford pickup by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Family and friends go for rides regularly (note unsecured lawn chairs in the back end-living large and dangerous)

truck ridz by mrmoose1, on Flickr

A year and a half ago....time to ditch the wiring harness (fire hazards don't get much more obvious than this)

wiring harness-in process by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Headlight harness before...

headlight wiring-before by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Headlight harness after...if you wonder about the shiney stuff in the bucket, when I repair the old iron I generally grind and paint, or scuff and coat with Gibbs brand as I did here...seems to slow or stop rust. I'm not intent on restoring Clem, only keeping him sort of original.

headlight wiring-after by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Uh oh, fat boy down! They'll probably need a crane to git me outta there! Stuck under there working on the harness. Note the 60mph speedo. Of the few of these you'll see most have replaced with the 100mph speedo which is correct for the 6 cylinder and the 85HP V-8 but not for the 9N.

031211 030 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

031211 028 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

052811-2 007 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Neat item...an Optima battery inside a Ford script case....I got tired of replacing the NAPA 6V batteries (generally old when you buy them) and not being able to count on them, so spent the long $$ on this. Very pleased so far.

081812 002 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

So there you have some of the basics. I have thought of replacing the little 4 with a proper flathead, and have the correct front crossmember and a rebuidable radiator in the shed, but generally have decided to keep the little 4 in there. The decision is aided by a lack of funding, which I guess isn't always a bad thing. I hope I've helped a little with what you may not have known....if questions be patient as I do not get hereas often as I'd like sometimes.

mrmoose
mrmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
1952henry

Default Re: 1941 4 cylinder pickup

A vote for keeping the 4! And a question. Am I correct in my thinking the serial number on the engine does not have a 9? Does it start with N?
Old 08-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Jeff, outstand story and photos and, if it counts for anything, I'd keep the 9N four banger and everything else just the way it is... Hope to see you soon. Vic
Old 08-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
mrmoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952henry View Post
A vote for keeping the 4! And a question. Am I correct in my thinking the serial number on the engine does not have a 9? Does it start with N?
Henry, serial #9T***, and the VIN is the same...frame # is different, but is original frame. Odd stuff huh.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
mrmoose

Thanks Vic, and you are probably right. maybe I'll listen to you for a change!....ahahahahahah
Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmoose View Post
Thanks Vic, and you are probably right. maybe I'll listen to you for a change!....ahahahahahah
That might be dangerous... Perhaps you should reconsider... LOL
Old 08-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Marcus

Mr. Moose - Great to see Ol' Clem, and to re-hear his story!! I'm with Vic (for what it is worth) and keep the 4-banger!! Besides, all you have to worry about in that Florida traffic is WHEN is Granny going to FINALLY make the left turn she has been signalling for the past 9 miles.......HUGE GRIN!! Clem and Clyde have much in common - starting with WORK trucks.......!!
Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
jimTN

Change that 9:41 center section out to a 9:37 (4.11) and you will be able to up your speed and on flat ground should work fine. Those are great engines and believe it or not, some perk up stuff is around for them. Sherman head and pop up pistons. Thought I would never see another set of them and low and behold there was a set on Tbay about three months ago even if I got out bid at the last minute. That same engine was used in the 41 prototype model GP jeep. It had a slightly different front plate, conventional up right dist and down draft carb. I have one of those and it does not have sleves like a the n tractor engine.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
mrmoose

Marcus, you need to take a break from the court stuff (and congratulations, by the way...I understand you are really making a difference up there...we need more of that here) and come on down here for a little r&r. I think little Clyde is a jewel, by the way. Jewel or no, work his patooti off. They seem to like it.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
mrmoose

Jim, hoppin up Clem isn't an option, due to finances and general lack of gumption. That said however, I'd sure like to hear your thoughts on the hop up. The 9N is a sleeved engine, side draft carb, that is anemic as can be. Years ago I had a couple of 36HP VWs that could run circles around old Clem and come back and give you change. As I understand it the plan was to put the 9Ns in these for awhile but they were only put in '41s and a very limited # of 42's. Plenty of torque but no pizazz. But Clem is fun anyway.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:49 PM   #11
Vic Piano

Jeff, it's a Ford and its flat, what could be wrong... I'd change nothing and use it the way it was intended... I've got some tree stumps that need pullin' and I still don't have an 8N...
Old 08-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #12
mrmoose

Cost you some pizza. Maybe a Schitz too.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #13
Steves46

Hi Jeff. Thanks for sharing those terrific photos of Clem and the interesting info about the 9N and if I may add my vote with the others...keep the 4 banger! Hope to see you in the near future. Steve
Old 08-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #14
1952henry

Quote:
Henry, serial #9T***, and the VIN is the same...frame # is different, but is original frame. Odd stuff huh.
Thanks for that. So it has a T instead of N.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
oldford2

Jeff,
Nice pics and history on the 41 four bangers. Hope to see you and Clem in a few months.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:37 PM   #16
mrmoose

hey Henry, my younger daughter lives up near you....Willison...and 4 beautiful grandkids. I have been there, and when I go again, may just look you up. Watch out. Also, try some Schlitz...I think you can still get it there. You'll want to ditch the Homebrew.

moose
Old 08-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
mrmoose

John, when you and Barb get down I am going to take you for a rapid ride around the block (many blocks if you're up to it). Clem corners amazingly. Well, maybe not amazingly..but fun yes.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #18
Tinker

Great story Moose. Clem is good just the way it is.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #19
mrmoose

Stop by when you find a moment....I want a ride in that old blue '36.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:15 PM   #20
Tinker

Ha, I just typed that in your Amos thread! Will do!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #21
Mart

Thanks for sharing - they are a rarity and it's nice to see some detail shots.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #22
mrmoose

Happy to share Mart, and good to hear from across the pond. I have a stepson who is in love with your country, and has been there 3 or 4 times. I bet it rained more here (in sunny Florida) today than it did over there. Please send pix of whatever you're into, thanks.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #23
1952henry

Quote:
hey Henry, my younger daughter lives up near you....Willison...and 4 beautiful grandkids. I have been there, and when I go again, may just look you up. Watch out. Also, try some Schlitz...I think you can still get it there. You'll want to ditch the Homebrew.

moose
Mr. Moose I would be honored if you looked me up. Williston is not far away. Your daughter's family owe their income to the oil business?, if you don't mind my asking. I don't brew too bad of beer btw!
Old 08-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
mrmoose

Henry, my daughter and her family owe their income to....get ready....the Lord. Her husband is a pastor, and now due to the oil business explosion, they're in the thick of something nearly beyond them. I figure that as long as they have neighbors like you, they'll be ok. And although it may be awhile, when we do get there again, for sure we'll look you up...and I will try your homebrew thanks.

j
Old 08-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
1937pickup

Great story and pictures-loved both. The pictures with the brush in Clem reminded me of my truck-May-I load her up with the same type of stuff and haul it off. Great to see these old trucks being used for what they were intended.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #26
1952henry

Quote:
Henry, my daughter and her family owe their income to....get ready....the Lord. Her husband is a pastor, and now due to the oil business explosion, they're in the thick of something nearly beyond them. I figure that as long as they have neighbors like you, they'll be ok. And although it may be awhile, when we do get there again, for sure we'll look you up...and I will try your homebrew thanks.

j
You're welcome, and welcome to stop by! Your son-in-law has my greatest respect for serving the Lord in that capacity. My childhood pastor, who also confirmed me, passed last month. That was cause for a lot of reminiscing. I'm sure your son-in-law will leave lasting impressions as well.

Last edited by 1952henry; 08-18-2012 at 09:10 PM.
1952henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #27
Cecil/WV

I really enjoyed the story and pics. I have a disassembled 4 banger in my garage that belongs to my son. I towed it from San Diego in 1980 with a tow bar behind a 1970 F-100, and my son who was just out of high school, pulled the 283 Chevy engine out and sold it and hasn't touched the truck since. It has excellent sheet metal and is all there. Maybe someday!!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:14 AM   #28
columbiA

It seems odd that the little 4-banger would be hooked up to the non synchro 4-speed that was generally used in the large trucks & optionally in the smaller ones.Your trans should be basically good shape as it is so under stressed in your PU.Once you master double clutching,they shift very well.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #29
Hamtown Al

I know it may be viewed as blasphemy by some and I don't know if it is even possible with the 4 cyl engine but should be since the transmission bolt pattern is presumably the same as the V8; but, some fellas around here have put 5 spd trans on their flatheads and RAVE about the difference. I put one behind the engine in a 40 coupe I had and it became a ball to drive. Yeah, those of you with a memory might recall that the engine was a Desoto hemi BUT it was ALREADY in the car when I got it!

Anyway, just a thought. Most of us do more thinking than working now a days but thank the Lord we're able to keep trying. I appreciate the sharing of pictures and words by Mr Moose and commend him on working to improve his truck and trying to drive the wheels off it! ATTABOY!

Keep working,
Al
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #30
Cecil/WV

The one in my garage has a different pattern for the transmission because of the starter being on the opposite side and I guess I need to check closer, but it looks to be a 3 speed.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #31
jimTN

The easiest improvement to make would be to change the rear end to a 4:11, its a bolt in and the 4:11 gear sets are plentiful and not in demand near as much as others. Another inexpensive item would be to mill the head. Custom head and pistons are so scarce that even with the cash, they are very hard to come by. At one time some of these engines as well as Fergunson engines were used in midgets.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #32
55 dude

cool truck! did they put 4 cyl. engines in 38'-39' trucks?
55 dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #33
ken ct
BANNED

No,only 41 had them. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #34
keith oh

I remember at one time in the late 40s, Dad a Ford Dealer USED Car manager then, had on his lot 4 different engine Ford vehicles, A 194l 4 cyl pickup, A 1942 6cylinder panel, A 1937 60 Hp coupe and a 40 85 Hp tudor. That was unusual Even at that time.
keith oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
Byron Warwick

WOW, that is an eye-opener for me. Great truck, and hope you keep driving Clem, Byron.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #36
bobH

A friend of mine, here in the socal area, has a 41 flatbed (4-cyl) that he restored. He is a long-time Ford guy, having worked on Fords for over 50 years. He went to great lengths to research it regarding what is correct and original, and he submitted it for judging and got a Dearborn for it. Since receiving the Dearborn, he has driven it a little, shown it some, and last I heard, was offering it for sale. I don't believe I've ever seen another 4-cyl in my area.
bobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM   #37
1952henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 dude View Post
cool truck! did they put 4 cyl. engines in 38'-39' trucks?
The "economy" engine for those years was the V8-60.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #38
bgarrett

thank you for this thread and the information! Can you tell us the difference in the front crossmember and maybe a picture?
bgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #39
41panelmark

Quote:
A lot of folks here and over at the HAMB have been looking for information on the 4 cylinder available in Fords for a short time in the 40s. I've owned for the last 6+ years a 1941 Ford pickup with that 4 cylinder engine. While I'm no expert, mine is largely original and I've learned a little bit about them and was asked to share.
Here is Clem before he arrived in sunny Florida from Wisconsin...previously owned by 2 working farmers and one "gentleman" farmer...

1941Jan06 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Polished up a bit by the new owner...an ungentlemanly farmer wannabe...

100_0354 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

And here's a shot of the little 4 banger. These were exactly the same as the 9N Ford tractor motor with the exception of the air cleaner, fuel pump (gravity feed on the tractor, mechanical on the pickup) and governor (none on the pickup) and were mated to the Ford 4 speed non-synchro transmission. I've seen the HP rated from anywhere from 23 to 40 HP...they are slow, very slow, and as a result did not sell well...it is thought only a few hundred were produced, but I have never been able to verify production numbers. Being rare doesn't make one especially desirable, as again, they are slow. That does not stop me from driving Clem every weekend, and occasionally on weekdays, in Florida traffic. All I do is force everyone around me to have a little more patience...and it has worked thus far. I have had him up to 60, but it took some time getting there. 4.55 rear end. Cruises comfortably at 50 though.

040708 025 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

I have rebuilt the front end and replaced the spring, replaced brakes, and the little truck really goes down the road nice. Clutch is nearly gone though, and Clem shifts very hard and sloppy, so will need to pull tranny in the near future.

040708 023 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

After replacing a blown head gasket and a little cleanup, the little motor looks a little better..(note original wiring harness...risky)

to 120609 007 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

You'll see Clem change little by little over time..

1941 Ford pickup "Clem" by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Had the running boards coated with a bed coating called LinerZ...was applied very hot....tough stuff, and I don't slip off the boards when wet now...

1941 Ford pickup runningboard by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Clem does not shirk from work....

to 062809 016 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Family and friends go for rides regularly (note unsecured lawn chairs in the back end-living large and dangerous)

truck ridz by mrmoose1, on Flickr

A year and a half ago....time to ditch the wiring harness (fire hazards don't get much more obvious than this)

wiring harness-in process by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Headlight harness before...

headlight wiring-before by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Headlight harness after...if you wonder about the shiney stuff in the bucket, when I repair the old iron I generally grind and paint, or scuff and coat with Gibbs brand as I did here...seems to slow or stop rust. I'm not intent on restoring Clem, only keeping him sort of original.

headlight wiring-after by mrmoose1, on Flickr
Uh oh, fat boy down! They'll probably need a crane to git me outta there! Stuck under there working on the harness. Note the 60mph speedo. Of the few of these you'll see most have replaced with the 100mph speedo which is correct for the 6 cylinder and the 85HP V-8 but not for the 9N.

031211 030 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

031211 028 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

052811-2 007 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

Neat item...an Optima battery inside a Ford script case....I got tired of replacing the NAPA 6V batteries (generally old when you buy them) and not being able to count on them, so spent the long $$ on this. Very pleased so far.

081812 002 by mrmoose1, on Flickr

So there you have some of the basics. I have thought of replacing the little 4 with a proper flathead, and have the correct front crossmember and a rebuidable radiator in the shed, but generally have decided to keep the little 4 in there. The decision is aided by a lack of funding, which I guess isn't always a bad thing. I hope I've helped a little with what you may not have known....if questions be patient as I do not get hereas often as I'd like sometimes.

mrmoose

Always fun to see more photos of Clem.
41panelmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #40
oldrelics

Thats a cool truck, I always wanted a rare one with the 4 or a v8-60. Also, sorry but what is wrong with that right rear fender?
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #41
G.M.

I ment a guy at the V/8 show in Ga. a few years ago with a 41 4 cylinder. I asked him how it was on the road, he said worse than a V/8 60. G.M.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #42
Gumpy

Jeff-

thankyou for sharing your information about the 4 cly....back in 41-42 there wasn't an interstate hiway system....50mph cruising is about right...very nice truck!
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #43
mrmoose

George, they are decidedly worse than a V8 60. It runs...well, just like an old tractor. Handles and brakes fine tho. And to oldrelics, regarding the fender....old farm truck and both rear fenders have been smacked and reworked many rears ago....the right rear was badly done, with the area just behind the wheel sticking way out, and when I got the truck here and pushed on that part of the fender it popped out right above the wheel. It is another matter of $$ or ambition (or in this case skill) and I'm afraid for this particular job I am decidedly lacking in both at present. In time if I'm able to keep the truck I hope to get at this and other small repairs, but in the meantime I'm just going to mostly drive it.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:33 PM   #44
ken ct
BANNED

Way to go Jeff. ken ct.
ken ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #45
grinnin

Old Clem has a close relative on e__Y. I have no dog in this hunt but if MrMOOSe' 4 cylinder is to your liking you might check it out.
listing 271036931074
Charlie
grinnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #46
fordman

I have a '41 ford pickup with a 4 cylinder 9N engine. I found it at a farmhouse. when I lifted the hood, I nearly fell over; presumed someone had been fooling around with it but the air cleaner looked so authentic. I went home and looked it up in the green book and saw it was authentic; it did not run. removed the head in the farm yard; not good but i bought it anyway. I have got it half way completed and switched priority to a '40 coupe and then I will go back to the pu.

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:38 PM   #47
bgarrett

What is the difference in the front crossmember? maybe a picture?
Old 08-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #48
fordman

there are no differences in the front cross member of my 4 cylinder pu but some of the cross members were made with a deep drop to accommodate the 6 cylinder engine. I saw one and it looked real freaky.

they also made the 4 cylinder in '42.

fordman
fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 AM   #49
bgarrett

Quote:
I have thought of replacing the little 4 with a proper flathead, and have the correct front crossmember and a rebuidable radiator in the shed,
mrmoose
this made me wonder about the front crossmember
Old 08-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #50
bgarrett

I have 11 40/41 trucks and they have three different frames
Old 08-21-2012, 02:08 PM   #51
mrmoose

As I recall the crossmembers were quite different but I could be mistaken....when I find some time and dig it out of the shed I'll compare the 2 and report here, maybe with pix too. It may be some time though, as it's buried pretty good.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #52
Mart

Ok, here's what I THINK.

The 41's all had the same crossmember. This crossmember has a deep drop and will accomodate the 6 cyl engine. It will also take the V8 and (I guess) the 4 cyl. They did not use different crossmembers in 41 for the different engines, thay all used the same one, the one with a deep drop.

I have a 41 and it has the deep drop crossmember. The engine mounts line up with the flathead v8 mounts.

The 41 rides a little higher than the 40 due to the deep drop crossmember. The bump stops have a 1" spacer built in. If you fit a 40 style crossmember (to help lower the front) then you should also swap out the bump stops and fit the 40 style that do not have spacers.

Again, this is what I THINK. If I have it right or wrong please let me know.

Mart.
Mart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #53
FL&WVMIKE

mrmoose .......................
If you would decide to change out that rear end, you can sell those low gears to a vintage drag-racer. At one time, they were the "ticket" for drag-racing !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #54
oldrelics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Ok, here's what I THINK.

The 41's all had the same crossmember. This crossmember has a deep drop and will accomodate the 6 cyl engine. It will also take the V8 and (I guess) the 4 cyl. They did not use different crossmembers in 41 for the different engines, thay all used the same one, the one with a deep drop.

I have a 41 and it has the deep drop crossmember. The engine mounts line up with the flathead v8 mounts.

The 41 rides a little higher than the 40 due to the deep drop crossmember. The bump stops have a 1" spacer built in. If you fit a 40 style crossmember (to help lower the front) then you should also swap out the bump stops and fit the 40 style that do not have spacers.

Again, this is what I THINK. If I have it right or wrong please let me know.

Mart.

I had an unmodified true '41 and it had the non-deepdrop x-mem.....maybe leftover '40?
Here is a pic of the front frame section .....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 107_0720.JPG (100.5 KB, 63 views)
oldrelics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:05 PM   #55
Hamtown Al

DAMN! That's one SHORT pkp chassis!