Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #1
427heaven

Default The Medley Coupe

This story starts approximately 65 years ago in the Birthplace of Hot Rodding Southern California. My Father is working as a kid in a little shop that builds Engines, Hot Rods. In this shop are a few people that were the Kings of speed! Wes Cooper- Kong Jackson- Fritz Voight and many more. At this time a guy named Tom Medley of HOT ROD magazine Stroker Mcgurk fame swings by to see whats happening in this A V8 Coupe, and write articles and cartoons to highlight this automotive movement. A couple of years go by and Tom sells the little Coupe to my Dads High School friend, they build one of the fastest Hot rods of its time, the police new of this car on a regular basis. The LA river bottom and Chevy Chase drive were a couple of its hangouts near Glendale Ca. So a few friends got together to pool their funds and go racing. Bill Marcel, Mickey Thompsons mechanic and engineer owned the car in the late 50s went to Muroc dry lake bed and set a record with it, and blew the soft top off of it while doing it, and thats when the car got parked and my father got involved. The friends went different directions in life my dad had a plan to put it back together the way it was in the 50s but life got in the way. He always put family first, but after 65 years this TUFF little coupe is coming back to life. Hope to share pictures and its story as this rebuild goes forward. Thanks for the space to share!
427heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
Badpuppy

Default Re: The Medley Coupe

Great story. Thanks for the share, looking forward to your progress..
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 05:00 PM   #3
redmodelt

Suggest also posting this on https://www.jalopyjournal.com/ if you haven't. I think people on both sites would be interested.
Old 07-23-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
427heaven

I will try to sign up over there, Thanks guys for the suggestion of sharing the story of the little HOT ROD that was tucked away for over 60 years. Pulling parts out of DADS mothballs, crates, containers, etc is one of the most exciting things of my life, being able to bring this car back to life after it was parked since the 1950s. As a child I used to stand on the seat and hold the shifter, making vrooom vrooom sounds, Hopefully now I can make big boy sounds of screetching tires and the wail of a highly tuned Fritz Voight V8 FLATTY engine with multiple carbs. Hopefully VERY SOON!
427heaven is offline   Reply With Quote