Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #41
bavArian

Default Re: Can't separate axle shaft from carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
The part I sent you had the correct part number on it so I assumed it was correct . My mistake I should have tried a ring gear on it before I went to the post office !!! So your good part is the same as the part I sent you I suppose . Just confirm you need the side which takes the ring gear and has male "pegs" I will mail you another one if that is the case no postage charge !!!

Hello John,

yes, the good part and your part are identical, apart from the part number.

Honestly, I wouldn't have thought to check the part before sending it out either, because how probable is it to get an altered carrier with the right number on it.
In Tom's article in the 2nd picture the right part is the correct one, with the 4 1/8 inch shoulder for the ring gear and the male pegs for centering.

I'll check your pics with my worn out part to make sure that it's the right part.
Can someone tell us if A and B used the same parts for the diff carrier?
Thanks and have a nice day,

Daniel
bavArian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #42
Jim Brierley

Use 3 feeler gauges, spaced evenly around the housing.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:26 PM   #43
Tom Endy

The attached article may be of additional help.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4-5-Carrier Repair.pdf (537.5 KB, 16 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #44
bavArian

Thanks for the article. I can't imagine how much time ends you must have spent working on Model A's in your life so far. :P

It may be a dumb idea and proven to not work, but if one has a diff carrier with excessive wear from the spider gears wouldn't it be possible to use or fabricate a shim to compensate for the wear? Much like the shims for being able to set the preload on the diff if the race is pressed in too far. I think that would be an option if no new or usable diff carrier can be found.

In the US, you could just get another diff carrier of course but I would imagine that they're quite rare in Europe or Australia.
Old 06-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #45
Jim Brierley

Any shims should be quite thick, or they would be ground into dust in a hurry. The spider gears only turn when the vehicle is in a turn, so shimming is not usually necessary, and they cause no noise.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #46
bavArian

At least my old diff carrier is quite soft steel, or else I wouldn't have been able to machine it on my turning machine. If one used proper steel, lasercut the shims and surface-treated them they should last at least as long as the original diff carrier, especially as no one would abuse the diff like the farmers in the past with their belt-driven machines.
Of course, as long as good used carriers are available that won't be done because it's just not economic.
Old 06-28-2020, 11:40 AM   #47
bavArian

*an eternity later*

So I finally got around to work on the A yesterday. We spent the entire day setting up the rear end with the 2nd carrier half that John sent me (again MASSIVE THANKS to John!) and getting the rear end under the car.
There are still a few smaller things to be done (tightening up the u-joint housing halves, mounting 1 shock, reattaching all brake rods) but apart from that the rear end should be good to go now.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #48
bavArian

Well, there *might* be a new problem. When assembling the rear drums on the new axles I get a scratching sound when turning the drum. It seems that the brake shoe rubs somewhere on the drum. Is that normal and not a big problem or do I need to take the brake assembly apart? I can still turn the drums by hand but there is a notable drag.

Edit: The drag is higher if I turn the drum backwards, if that is important.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:54 AM   #49
Big hammer

* might* have a problem, yes! It sounds like the brake shoes are not centered. Suppliers sell a brake shoe centering tool, check the tool out online for you to get ideas on how to center the shoes.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:07 AM   #50
john charlton

Just a thought adjust the brakes hard up on the adjuster then back fully off and try again . This could centralise the shoes maybe not but worth a try . Could be with the new axle shafts the drums have gone on a bit further and the drum is rubbing on the backplate , If so it can be fixed by fitting an axle shim something I dont really like as I think it upsets the hub axle bond . I know people have done many thousands of miles with no problems . If the drum is only just touching I grind a smidgeon off the drum edge .Yank the emergency brake on and off see if that helps .

John in cloudy windy Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #51
bavArian

I have axle shims, but when I use them there's no way I'll get the cotter pin inserted if I also use the axle shim between hub and nut. It seems that the drum is not rubbing on the backplate, so I'd like to go without the shims.

Honestly I doubt that centering the shoes with the drum like that works, but I'll give it a try.

If it doesn't work I'll probably just drive to the local hardware store tomorrow and get some materials to build a centering tool.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:04 PM   #52
Benson

Last edited by Benson; 07-05-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote