Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
Dkrahn

Unhappy 1929 Pickup - Frame to body blocks

Hi there.. So, I just got my A all restored. I notice the doors are not aligned properly. I had all new blocks and rubber shims replaced. There was a gap in the top right corner at least 1/2 inch on drivers side and 3/8 inch on the passenger side. I since climbed underneath, jacked up the truck and removed the back 2 blocks on each side. That helped some, but probably only half of where we need to be. Now with those 4 blocks out, I can stick my hand under the doors, which mean I probably have 1 inch gap there..but only 1/4 inch under the front of both doors..and only probably 1/8 inch between the frame of the cab and the running boards, (at the rear side of the door) where it goes upwards.

The hood alignment is fine. I am thinking my next steps need to be add maybe 1/2 shim at the firewall blocks, but really would like to be sure. I would think there are step by step procedures on installing these blocks, or a u-tube, so it is not so much hit and miss..

Any help would be most appreciated
Dean Krahn
Dkrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 10:56 PM   #2
Dan Partain

Default Re: 1929 Pickup - Frame to body blocks

There are some previous threads on the subject, here is one that may help.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58395
Dan Partain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Dkrahn

Thank you. I seen other threads but not this one. I will give those suggestions a try.
Dkrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Pickups generally had a hard life. The foundation has to be completely straight and square before building on top. I'd start with the frame checks. This is generally the first thing to complete on a model A restoration prior to painting the frame.

If the frame is straight and square, make sure it has the correct front cross member for the 29 radiator you have. Body blocks that are available should be of the proper size & shape but there is room for that to be debatable. Since they act as the support and pad for the body to frame then they could be adjusted to a point but they have to be there. Door hinges can be tweeked but they usually have wear problems to be addressed first before any adjustments are considered. If the doors and cab have a bad fit to each other, a person should look for previous "farm fixes" on the sub-frame components. Make sure it has the correct doors for the cab too. The most common 28/29 doors are like the earlier 26/27 T pickup doors but stuff changed after October of 29.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257826
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote