Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #1
Oldbluoval

Default Hershey cancelled

Just got the email
Old 05-28-2020, 06:51 PM   #2
JOHN CT

Default Re: Hershey cancelled

It is with great regret that the AACA Hershey Region Executive Board informs you that the 2020 Hershey Fall Meet has been cancelled. This decision was not arrived at lightly. Our Club prides itself on producing a world-class event that thousands of people anticipate every year, so we felt the heaviest of burdens when faced with this decision.

While making the difficult choice to cancel, the Board took many obstacles into account, including but not limited to: the health and welfare of our volunteers, vendors, partners, and visitors; the unknown restrictions and/or guidelines that may be in place at the time of our show; and the volunteer-only workforce we rely on to prepare for a show of our magnitude.

We appreciate you understanding how difficult this decision was for the Executive Board to make. We know that some people will be upset by the decision and others will applaud it. Either way, please know that the Hershey Region Executive Board has acted in what they believe are the best interests of the Club, and we ask for your continued support as we navigate these unprecedented times.

Refund information will be sent very soon in regards to all payments already received by the Hershey Region AACA.

Please know that we continue to explore ideas to benefit the hobby and are working toward the possibility of still hosting our usual car show on Saturday in October. While this may not be doable, AACA and the Hershey Region along with other constituencies are working hard to make this possible. Please visit our website and social media as often as possible for the latest news.

Hershey Region AACA

Hershey Region AACA | PO Box 305, Hershey, PA 17033 [email protected]; www.hershey.aaca.com
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #3
blgitn

Aw shift.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:00 PM   #4
ronn

the beginning of the end...............
Old 05-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #5
Ranchero50

I knew this year would be a bust and joked about 2020 being the year we did nothing but dang it... Spring Carlisle is still a couple weeks away and I'm waiting for the governor to nix it too.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:37 PM   #6
McMimmcs

A very prudent and intelligent decision made on the part of their organization. They should be congratulated for caring about the buyers, sellers and Vendors .
Old 05-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
jimalabam

I agree. Wise decision under the circumstances...
Old 05-28-2020, 09:19 PM   #8
dean from bozeman

Though I understand the rationale behind it, I am crushed. I really love going to Hershey. Realizing that I will have to wait almost a year and a half until the next one is a tough pill to swallow.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #9
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Though I understand the rationale behind it, I am crushed. I really love going to Hershey. Realizing that I will have to wait almost a year and a half until the next one is a tough pill to swallow.
I agree with you Dean but I have no desire to rub elbows with 200,000 potential disease carriers. My car hobby is far less important than my health and my life. I can wait !
Old 05-29-2020, 08:15 AM   #10
Jack Shaft
BANNED

H2N3 hong kong flu ran across america,killing 100,000 and sickening 1.5 million.What response did 'we' have? Woodstock,putting a man of the moon and fighting the war in Vietnam..1969

We only pass through here once,the only constant we can be assured of is death..practice common sense? yes,and mourn the dead..but keep on living..
Old 05-29-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
leo

This decision is a bit premature because Hershey is over 4 months away. The Hershey AACA should have waited to see what develops over the next 2 - 3 months as the country begins to reopen and then made a decision based on more recent and conclusive data.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #12
Oldbluoval

The problem in timing is the advance planning and cost thereto
Now if they weren’t going to refund registration fees....proceed on and see where the world is at Labor Day and then thumbs up/down. If no refunds on cancelling those paid would be plenty p@&)’d
This way registrants get the money back and all is well....
But loss of the event is difficult on vendors and registrants in our psyche
I thank them for the considerate, thoughtful and decision made
Old 05-29-2020, 09:01 AM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Hope this does not set off a firestorm of posts, but I want to give the organizers the benefit of the doubt.

If they had decided to go ahead with it, and the event created a "hot spot" of infections (it would only take 1 person) - it could end Hershey forever. Lawsuits, Insurance issues, etc.

If they had waited to decide and had to cancel last minute - the inconvenience/disappointment of attendees was a probably a consideration. Other important considerations are issues of vendors, hotels, restaurants, retail, security, etc. - dealing with a cancellation after ramping up for the meet.

Same with the people putting on the meet, would have been a lot of wasted effort/resources. Cancelling after arranging for insurance, police, vendor fees/permits, advertising, site preparation, security, etc, etc.

The organizers are in a tough spot - would be criticized with either decision yes/no to putting on the meet.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:43 AM   #14
77Birdman

Dissapointed but not surprised. I think the timing is fine. Although it is a day of decision for me to go, as I am only half hour away, I would guess that the majority need to make plans months in advance.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:00 PM   #15
leo

And the lunacy of the dealing with the corona virus pandemic continues to grow while tort reform continues to be ignored forcing everyone to base their decisions about anything on how to avoid being sued........
Old 05-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #16
Kentmac

Amen to leo's comment.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #17
ronn

and whether or not it is true- heard Carlisle is still on................. today.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #18
Synchro909

Hershey cancelled - good news, bad news. By the time you add them together, it doesn't matter much. What would matter is if they went ahead and just one or two infected people attended, the bad would get to be VERY bad. With the numbers of people you have infected over there, it would almost be a certainty that the bug would be present in the crowd so it's probably the right decision.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #19
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Hershey cancelled - good news, bad news. By the time you add them together, it doesn't matter much. What would matter is if they went ahead and just one or two infected people attended, the bad would get to be VERY bad. With the numbers of people you have infected over there, it would almost be a certainty that the bug would be present in the crowd so it's probably the right decision.
Totally agree. In 200,000 people there has to be some infected. I've only missed 2 in 25 years but there is nothing I need or want at Hershey worth dying for.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:44 AM   #20
dumb person

Member the tell of capt'n walker.
Right now we has the pictures & the video to member of all we'd lost.
The pocky lips took it all away.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
Closed Thread