Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #21
veggie

Send a message via AIM to veggie Send a message via Yahoo to veggie
Default Re: Cannot get the quail back on

Hello m2m
I think you hit the quail right on the head.
Put the old cap back on and be done with it.
veggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 01:52 AM   #22
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie View Post
Hello m2m
I think you hit the quail right on the head.
Put the old cap back on and be done with it.
That's what I did!
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
Purdy Swoft

Me too !!!
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 06:05 PM   #24
John Dayhuff

Ok now I've got a problem with mine and I can't figure this out. I've been taking the entire lock ring off the radiator each time I was checking the water level even though I knew that the quail itself should spin and tilt back but mine didn't and I was fine with that. This is an original so didn't want to force anything. So I go to check it yesterday and I can't turn anything...., finally the quail itself comes off the ring and then I had to put some pretty good pressure on the ring itself to get it off the radiator which like I said above, I never had to do that before as the whole thing came off pretty easily, ring and all. I see the two screws and I under stand how to reattach it to the radiator but I think mine is corroded to the point that the little stops that are supposed to keep those two tabs from spinning around and around as you tighten the screws, I think there pretty much corroded off and gone forever. Anyways, here's my question, how does the quail attach to the ring and still be able to pivot and stay on the ring?

Thanks,
Old 07-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #25
John Dayhuff

I'd post a few pictures to make it easier but I could never figure out how to do it on here as it ask for a URL link and I have no idea what that is....LOL.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #26
John Dayhuff

Testing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (41.1 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0125.jpg (44.1 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0126.JPG (120.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0127.JPG (135.2 KB, 39 views)
John Dayhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #27
John Dayhuff

Whoops there we go, got it figured out. Now what?
Old 07-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #28
Greg Jones

I too gave up on the repro quail on my 30's and just went back to a standard cap. Too bad, I love the look of the quail. I have been thinking (oh-oh) if there was some way I could affix SECURELY just the bird to a standard cap. I have a couple original birds that came loose from their original perches. I realize it would take some doing and working with pot metal is not my strong suit, but....I wonder if anyone has done such a thing.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 04:58 PM   #29
Chuck Sea/Tac

My quail runs just into the clear. If it goes thru and above, I’m close to boil over. My mercury thermometer is accurate as long as I’ve had it, and it’s been on the car for 40,000 miles.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:44 PM   #30
John Dayhuff

The "anyone?" bump.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:39 PM   #31
John Dayhuff

Ok, let me try this.

Hi John,
I think you can remove that center ring from the base ring by cleaning off some of the crude and oxidation and gently prying between the two with a small knife or screwdriver that the two will come apart. Now I'm thinking that this piece originally screwed together with the quail in place and perhaps with some sorta 1930's loc tight was used to hold it in place but it still let the quail pivot? I don't know for sure as I'm just guessing here. If you look you might see a divot mark on the side of it, not sure what thats all about but mine had it. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge on how this went together will chime in here. Take care,
Old 07-30-2020, 02:47 PM   #32
John Dayhuff

Hi John,
Yes thats exactly what I did and found, gee your pretty smart.
I'd still like to know how this actually works though and goes together. Does that outer ring screw into the center underside of the quail or what makes this whole thing stay together? Yes I'm desperate for help since now my car is sitting in the garage undrivable.

Last edited by John Dayhuff; 08-01-2020 at 04:17 AM.
John Dayhuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 04:20 AM   #33
John Dayhuff

Still no answer to these questions. Is this going to mean I have to buy a reproduction? Anyone got a good original? Are the reproductions the same quality as the original? Is there any certain parts suppliers I should buy this one from over the others?? So many questions.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #34
John Dayhuff

Does anybody out there rebuild these radiator hood ornaments? It kills me to have to put a REPRODUCTION one on this car.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:05 PM   #35
John Dayhuff

Is there any differences between the original quail and a reproduction?? ANYONE??

John
Old 08-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #36
Digger

I have a similar challenge with repop moto meter I am trying to install. The brass tabs are not grabbing enough of the lip under the treads of the radiator to keep it on. One side is fine, the other can’t grab. Should I make a custom piece that is just a little longer?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6FB25C06-EFB9-4571-82BA-F8DC66C5C076.jpg (101.2 KB, 20 views)
Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:33 PM   #37
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I did finally get the quail on; what I was doing wrong was trying to gently twist it into place rather than just put it in place then tighten the screws

...BUT even with the special o ring the suppliers sell to stop it leaking it still leaks at 45+mph the only thing left to try is to put some Right Stuff below where the gasket/o-ring sits for a tighter fit...I searched the forum and this has worked for others. In the meantime I purchased a normal radiator cap which doesn't leak at any speed.

I wish they sold non-locking moto-meters like they do for the Model T. With those the anti-theft system is to unscrew it and take it with you...and they don't leak. I can foresee a thief destroying a Model A quail or moto-meter and the radiator neck trying to steal it...I love the looks of the quail but I too may decide to sell it.
Any ideas how to secure a motor meter shaft to the locking cap to make it more difficult to remove? Just lifting the cap and removing the nut isn't theft resistant.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 03:35 PM   #38
DHZIEMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2M View Post
I did finally get the quail on; what I was doing wrong was trying to gently twist it into place rather than just put it in place then tighten the screws

...BUT even with the special o ring the suppliers sell to stop it leaking it still leaks at 45+mph the only thing left to try is to put some Right Stuff below where the gasket/o-ring sits for a tighter fit...I searched the forum and this has worked for others. In the meantime I purchased a normal radiator cap which doesn't leak at any speed.

I wish they sold non-locking moto-meters like they do for the Model T. With those the anti-theft system is to unscrew it and take it with you...and they don't leak. I can foresee a thief destroying a Model A quail or moto-meter and the radiator neck trying to steal it...I love the looks of the quail but I too may decide to sell it.
I put a post up on making a moto-meter cap from buying two parts from two suppliers. I have cut and pasted it here! I had a similar problem first off with pot metal caps that look great, don't quite fit right and then ya gotta grind or file part of the coating off to get them to fit right, then they leak (and Chorrode). What follows is what I did! I threw all the other pot metal stuff in the trash! What I did follows:

Default Re: Motometer Radiator cap for 1930 Model A
TA DA! After looking and looking, any cap sold that has a thermometer in it for a 1930 Model A seems to be Pot Metal!!!! After much consternation, and some thought, I purchased the cheapest stainless steel cap to fit a 1930 Model A, then purchased a mini motor meter from Macs, I center punched the rivet on the inside of the radiator cap and kept increasing from 1/8 up to 9/16th drill bits to drill a center hole in the cap. I got out the part that holds the cap to the radiator, set it aside, along with the gaskets and brass center plate and started working on getting the hole in the SS radiator cap to be 9/16 without burrs. I then Drilled out the part that holds the radiator cap to the radiator and did the same thing. (9/16ths with no burrs). The tricky part of all this is U really need a drill press and need to really hold on to keep drilling centered on the cap and the cap hold down. If that can be accomplished the rest of the effort is assembly and clocking the motor meter to be properly aligned when the cap is tightened is simply aggravating but once done and the brass nut on the motor meter is tightened and the cap with motor- meter installed, you have two metals that may interact BUT, they are not pot metal and are not going to corrode so bad that eventually crap falls in the radiator. The only part compatibility issue that I can think of might occur, is I have an aftermarket radiator. not sure if the neck on originals is high enough to allow the cap to clear the shroud. If anyone wants pictures, I would be happy to furnish. The one finished installed picture is on my original post.
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote