Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
pebo va

Default '34 Radiator Problem

I purchased a "new" stock '34 radiator from Brassworks advertised as a "drop in".
When I installed it, a number of things didn't line up like my original. I have been able to work around most of the alignment problems but the biggest problem is that the top tank is too vertical so that the fan scrapes the top of the radiator hoses. I have maxed out pulling the top back towards fire wall. My only temporary solution is to move the generator and fan forward to clear the hoses. But this takes the generator mounting bracket out of the groove on the intake manifold. I think that is dangerous.
Does anyone have a solution?
pebo va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:35 PM   #2
petehoovie

Default Re: '34 Radiator Problem

Show us some pictures of what you have....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:42 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I'm a bit confused, the fan should be in a recessed area in the bottom of the top tank. My Brassworks tank fits almost perfect, seems like something is wrong here. Post some photos.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #4
cas3

my brassworks radiator fit fine too. do you have the correct length fan?
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 03:35 AM   #5
koates

I understand the problem you are having exactly. Firstly you can not modify the generator mounting because this is only sidestepping the problem and will also throw the fan belt out of alignment with the water pump and crankshaft pulleys. Seems that the new radiator is standing a touch too vertical and allowing the tips of the fan blades to hit the top of the hoses. Something that should be done before the new radiator is fitted is to stand it up beside the old original one and carefully measure all dimensions and angles and make sure all is the same. If something is different then call Brassworks. The whole front of the car relies on the exact position of the radiator to make alignment of grille, hood top and sides etc. Maybe the radiator mount feet at the bottom are out of position and need to be more forward or the radiator is too high. I guess you have run out of adjustment on the radiator support rods. Lots to look at here so take your time and it will become apparent. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
pebo va

You have described my problem perfectly! I lined the two up side by side before the installation and the new one looked correct but I did not take measurements. I cannot adjust the support rods any more as I have slightly bent the bracket on the radiator top. That bracket is much thinner metal than on the original radiator. I will have to take the new one off again and accurately measure.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
jimTN

There is one small item here that could be wrong, it is possible you have the wrong fan. There is a difference in the fan hub length 33 thru 39. That would be worth checking with another 34. Other than that, return the radiator after calling Brassworks with the correct measurements.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Bored&Stroked

Another option is to have a small fan spacer made - say 1/4" thick . . . this would move your fan forward enough to clear the hoses. Would be a simple piece to make our of aluminum. Obviously you'd need a bit longer fan bolts - but an easy potential solution.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #9
pebo va

Thanks. That is a possibility. the various fans for a '34 are shown in the EFV-8 club restoration book Time to measure!
Old 10-14-2020, 07:09 AM   #10
hop up

Another thing I noticed is fan pullies and generators that have different positioning