Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #41
BILL WILLIAMSON

Default Re: Security???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldhardt View Post
I'm pretty much with Keith. The only time I considered keeping my house locked up was the night that I came home and found my buddies sitting around my dining room table drinking MY beer!
I leave the door UNLOCKED until my Sweet Home Help Gal comes in, then, KLICK, KLICK, KLICK------------------------------!
Bill W.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM   #42
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
I leave the door UNLOCKED until my Sweet Home Help Gal comes in, then, KLICK, KLICK, KLICK------------------------------!
Bill W.
yea but dont let anyone know that the key to your front door is under the rock on the l/s of the front step next to the fake frog

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 05-21-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:20 PM   #43
denis4x4

A hidden battery shut off and a good insurance policy work for me. BTW, on my Model A powered hot rod, I have a quick connect racing steering wheel that I take into a resturant or motel. I figure that a cop seeing somebody using a pair of vicegrips to steer a hot rod will pull them over,
Old 05-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #44
J Wade

My 120 pound Lab goes out with me every time I hear something at night. Once some teenagers were acting up at 3:00 am and when they saw Buster they asked "will he bite"? I said as soon as I tell him. They couldn't get away fast enough.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #45
Bruce Adams

Generally, "Stolen" Model A's have had the misfortune of sitting in an aluminum closed trailer attached to a nice diesel pick up truck. The car would be found, but not the truck and trailer.
OR
were part of an estate where Grandpa "Promised" the car to each of the Grand kids independent of one another, and they "Came to Collect" after not being mentioned in the will, and broke in to get "their" car.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #46
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Wade View Post
My 120 pound Lab goes out with me every time I hear something at night. Once some teenagers were acting up at 3:00 am and when they saw Buster they asked "will he bite"? I said as soon as I tell him. They couldn't get away fast enough.
BUSTER, my 17 LB Rat Terrier, could/would inflict some SERIOUS damage
Bill W.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #47
burner31

Last time I was in Cal-thief-oria I was in a restaurant and had to use the bathroom, I dropped a big deuce and then returned to my table, two minutes later I remembered that I forgot to flush, so I went back into the restroom and damn if that turd wasn't gone.
Just goes to show you that people will steal ANYTHING
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images (2).jpg (6.7 KB, 4 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #48
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Last time I was in Cal-thief-oria I was in a restaurant and had to use the bathroom, I dropped a big deuce and then returned to my table, two minutes later I remembered that I forgot to flush, so I went back into the restroom and damn if that turd wasn't gone.
You got that right!!! Even to sell as scrape metal. A meth fix has to happen someway.

Getting back to what I asked, say someone sees your name and address, especially address and they know you have a Model A, first find a sleazy buyer and you have a sale, all the low life has to do now is make a visit when you're not home or when the time is right. Why make things any easier than what they are? Sorry but address is out of the question..............times have changed.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #49
mshmodela

Video Camera, Remington 870.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #50
dave in australia

I'm not concerned about my A being stolen. I've been broken into a few times, and twice, they left the keys to my BMW and stole a video camera the first time and a $30 swiss army knife the second. They seem to go after items that fit into their pocket and can be sold quickly. I now have a motion activated camera so the police can get a photo of the thieves.
I have a mate who doesn't lock his house at all. His theory is that if a mate comes over for a visit, and he's not home, they can make a cuppa so their trip wasn't wasted.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 PM   #51
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I guess where and how I was brought up I never quite got the worry bug.I'm sure at some point I'll have something stolen,probably already have,most likely I thought I lost it.I doubt I've spent 30 minutes of my life worrying about or preparing security.I've never owned a house key.In hot weather I leave the garage doors open at night and close them in the morning to keep the cool in while I work.I do have combination locks on the A sheds,but that is to comply with the insurance.Their rules mean cheap insurance,so I play by their rules on that.

I'm on the same page as you as I've never worried about a car being stolen and not much else in reality. I couldn't live that way. With that said, I don't live in a rural area with my stuff in a barn, nor do I live in an area where lowlifes are likely to be hunting for scrap metal due to the odds of finding anything are not worth the risk even for a fool.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #52
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
You got that right!!! Even to sell as scrape metal. A meth fix has to happen someway.

Getting back to what I asked, say someone sees your name and address, especially address and they know you have a Model A, first find a sleazy buyer and you have a sale, all the low life has to do now is make a visit when you're not home or when the time is right. Why make things any easier than what they are? Sorry but address is out of the question..............times have changed.
WOW! If that is how life is where you live then I sincerely recommend you don't offer anything for sale except to someone you know. I sure couldn't live where you are!

As was noted by at least one respondent, the chances of anyone stealing running Model A is so incredibly remote due to logistics (can't start it, can't market it) that there is no sense in feeling like a potential victim. Your odds of winning a lottery are likely much higher unless there is something specific to you that you aren't telling us.

If this hobby can cause anyone that much fear and/or stress then it's time to move onto something else!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:45 PM   #53
zzlegend

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Should have had a low jack attached to that thing.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #54
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Tahtaras View Post
WOW! If that is how life is where you live then I sincerely recommend you don't offer anything for sale except to someone you know. I sure couldn't live where you are!

As was noted by at least one respondent, the chances of anyone stealing running Model A is so incredibly remote due to logistics (can't start it, can't market it) that there is no sense in feeling like a potential victim. Your odds of winning a lottery are likely much higher unless there is something specific to you that you aren't telling us.

If this hobby can cause anyone that much fear and/or stress then it's time to move onto something else!
Do you post your social security number for all to see, how about your bank account number, password, etc etc. Fearful??? No, nor am I stupid!!!! But you are right about one thing, if I sell anything, it's to someone I know.

Now, you want to read the initial question again, lowlife doesn't have to be "where I live", it could be where you live that could read my address in a National Magazine.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 PM   #55
Marco Tahtaras

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Model A View Post
Do you post your social security number for all to see, how about your bank account number, password, etc etc. Fearful??? No, nor am I stupid!!!! But you are right about one thing, if I sell anything, it's to someone I know.

Now, you want to read the initial question again, lowlife doesn't have to be "where I live", it could be where you live that could read my address in a National Magazine.
I read it. Anyone that knows my name and has simple to moderate skills can locate me as I can most folks if I choose to. I have no reason to loose sleep over that. One can be wise AND comfortable.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:09 PM   #56
SeaSlugs

If i ever sell anything i always meet in a very busy area such as a popular gas station that the state and local police stop at and always right in front of the store never in a back lot. Plus its alot easier to tell someone the BP on the cornner of X and Y streets than navigate somewhere.

Alot of towns police stations have an area dedicated to meet and sell stuff right in the police station parking lot.

yea im with the rest of you about how most people wouldnt even know how to start an a to begin with. most could figure out how to roll it somewhere though. has anyone thought about running a thick plastic coated cable (think bike lock cable but bigger) thru the spokes of a rim and around an axle? sure wouldn't roll very far that way short of a towtruck dragging it i suppose.

most likely theves are after the low ticket items that pawn shops wouldnt bat an eye at when someone brings it in to sell. So dont leave anything that could potentially have value in plain sight or anything that shows you may have something of value (like gps mount on windshield - most people may remove the unit but stash it in the glovebox or behind the seat or in center console.

that and the obvious of locking your doors... local problem here is people are "breaking in" cars all around the neighborhood and alot of purses and wallets have been stolen. because A: they go around and lift up on door handles - if its open they will rummage thru the car, if its locked they move on.

and B: why the heck would you leave your wallet/purse in your car???? if you do that and leave your doors unlocked you deserve whats commin to you.

also slim jims and coathangers work amazingly well still. Even easier nowadays with power locks. alot of the times you can grab the top of the door, put your foot on the handle area and bend the top of the window frame open - cars are cheaply made nowadays haha.

or if they have any key for your vehicle (pattern not important) you can get in easily by just jiggiling and slightly turning the key.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #57
dumb person

Thought i had a pretty good security system in a car i had, involved a pipe with detonators on each end. Came back to my car one night to find the windows were down, boot print dents on the roof, hat, glasses and some other things missing. And the pipe was missing.

A car load of well known little birddropping wanna be gangster types rode past and turned around and came past again, one of them wearing my hat and glasses. i stood in front of the car and asked for my stuff back. All they gave me was the hat. Later that night i heard a loud bang coming from a stand of trees.
Hmm.. wasn't as hard to bypass the security as i had thought.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:51 AM   #58
WRA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
The intrinsic value of a Model A is in the Henry Ford Steel -- super valuable to hot rodders. Once they are disassembled and otherwise altered for such a project, are totally unrecognizable as the original car.
Bingo, happens all the time to classic Cars. The value is in the parts. The amount of risk is based on where you live. Not unusual for car and bike clubs to have people on retainer. Meter man, cable guy, HVAC repairman etc, all report back tips on whose got what laying around. Some are more aggressive than others, but point is to keep low key and don't make it obvious.
WRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 06:48 AM   #59
Keith True

I sell a lot of things just to exist.I couldn't imagine taking something somewhere to meet somebody just to show them.I sell a lot of other peoples stuff too.I work here in the garage,so I can be around to meet and show stuff.I get to meet a lot of interesting people doing it.In the 90's there were a lot of guys buying trucks,small equipment,parts,tools,etc.and taking it to South America.I sold a Mack dump and a small dozer to some guys from Honduras,the whole deal was done through a five year old boy,he spoke perfect english.His dad and uncles spoke no english,and his mother spoke little.I think the internet has scared a lot of people into a whole new level.Maybe it's because I've been selling stuff for just about 40 years,but you can usually tell if somebody is someone you want around or not.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:10 AM   #60
Bob-A

Smile Re: Security???

I've got expensive original hood ornaments with original Moto-Meters on both my "A's". Plus, a few old tag toppers on the cars too. I'm careful about where I park the cars in public and for how long without my eyes on them.

I once read an article in a car magazine about a dude with a modern high-end Mercedes-Benz. Who was having a problem with punks stealing the hood ornament off the car. After the last one was stollen he rigged up some razor blades on the base of the new ornament. After coming back from shopping one day. He finds the ornament turned side ways and
a whole lot of blood around the top of the radiator cover. He was able to
keep his ornament. But, was warned by an attorney friend that he could be liable for a lawsuit and lose more then a hood ornament. If the would be thief has a good lawyer.

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote