Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
tinkirk

Default upholstery

looking to get seats redone on this old/new 30 deluxe roadster in a timely fashion.
who if i may ask might be the best source out in this modal A land, as far as quality, workmanship and pricing?

thank you all for your input in advance
terry
tinkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: upholstery

LeBarron-Bonney

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:34 PM   #3
Michael M

Maybe you saw it, but check out this thread for some thoughts:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195553
Michael M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:46 AM   #4
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Heard here that these guys are the middle of the road supplier,

classtiqueupholstery.com/
Old 05-08-2016, 04:08 PM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Heard here that these guys are the middle of the road supplier,

classtiqueupholstery.com/
Classtique uses the same material as L/B but does a better job on making the seat covers correctly. L/B puts the seat seam on the top edge of the seat, which is not correct, but is easier to do.

Classtique puts the seam down an inch or two, which is where it should be.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:35 PM   #6
Model A Man

I used a kit from classtiqueupholstery and was disappointed.
Model A Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:36 PM   #7
Utopia Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Man View Post
I used a kit from classtiqueupholstery and was disappointed.
Can you explain with a little detail?
Utopia Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:30 PM   #8
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopia Texas View Post
Can you explain with a little detail?

Michael, I am not throwing off on any of the suppliers however there is many areas to be disappointed in IF you know what to look for. Some of these details frustrate me yet not someone else. For example, many posters here have no idea what is correct, -and what isn't correct. Many folks are unaware that the DeLuxe Roadster had leather interior. Therefore they accept Naugahyde covers in lieu of leather. Other suppliers offer leather however it is the incorrect type. Most suppliers do not sew the covers correctly in areas such as the band, the edging of the band, the tufting of the pleats, and the width of the pleats. The kick panels are of incorrect material, and even the pockets and the flap are sewn incorrectly. Again, to someone who is uneducated on what is correct, their attitude on what is supplied in a kit is different than someone who knows what is correct. It also should be noted that most of the big suppliers have original upholstery that has been removed to use as a sample. The issue is most of them take the attitude that what they are making is good enough.

So here is where this all applies to us. This particular forum was initiated to discuss topics of restoration such as this whereas a Restorer can be educated on what is right & wrong. It also serves as a springboard for the suppliers to be able to learn what is correct and make the effort to improve their product if they so desire. The problem IMHO is the people who know what is correct have quit posting here due to politics, which affects the hobby greatly.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 PM   #9
Utopia Texas

I am interested if Model T Man was dissapointed by quality of work, timing or as you said little attention to detail. In other words should I order from Classtique or L.B.?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:49 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I am interested if Model T Man was dissapointed by quality of work, timing or as you said little attention to detail. In other words should I order from Classtique or L.B.?
Neither is 100% so in my opinion, take your pick.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:03 AM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
I'm not sure if you are asking this for your Fordor, but allow me ask you this question first, how familiar are you with original Sedan upholstery to know what your new interior is supposed to look like?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Utopia Texas

That is my problem. My knowledge of what was original in this 160A is minimal. Everything in it from door panels, kick panels, seats and roof interior is a leatherette grey color and all the vendors list a small brown checker pattern as original. As far as seam placement etc. I am pretty clueless. The previous owner had the car from the early 1950's to 1980's but he has passed away so I have no history from before my ownership. When I did my Rebuild work back in 1988 I did find a section of the Houston Press Newspaper from 1931 made into a tube and placed into the channel under the gas tank I assume to keep the wires and speedo cable from bouncing around and making noise. The tube of newspaper could have only been installed with the wires and speedo cable disconnected from the dash and I believe in 1931 there was a assembly building for the Model A here in Houston.

Back to topic. I am not a purest but would like a accurate upholstery kit thus need some input on the two most obvious choices by private email if necessary.

Last edited by Utopia Texas; 05-09-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Neither is 100% so in my opinion, take your pick.
I'm a pretty good judge of character and first impressions are foremost. Call and talk to both companies and make your decision. Take into account that everybody can have an off day. I went with Classtique but nothing negative from LB.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by captndan View Post
I'm a pretty good judge of character and first impressions are foremost. Call and talk to both companies and make your decision. Take into account that everybody can have an off day. I went with Classtique but nothing negative from LB.

Again, IMO the issue is not necessarily the customer service, -but the Q/C and the details of the product itself. Theoretically, a company can be the kindest & and most prompt seller there is however if you are expecting one thing however they ship something else that is not the same in details as what you were expecting, then there is likely to be disappointment.

...AND with that said, Dan if you were to call and ask questions to them about a Tudor interior, do you feel you know enough about the authenticity of what your car had originally to ask the upholsterer those questions??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-09-2016, 12:21 PM   #15
Hicktick

One of the best ways to make my father mad was to let him catch you using
his tack hammer to hit something ., I can see him now with a half a tube of
tacks in his mouth ,.,

In the 70's , Vaughn's in Greer SC was as close to original as you could get ., I used to drive over there just to see cars waiting to get in the building .,
Old 05-09-2016, 01:09 PM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
A) That is my problem. My knowledge of what was original in this 160A is minimal.

B) ...and I believe in 1931 there was a assembly building for the Model A here in Houston.

C) Back to topic. I am not a purest but would like a accurate upholstery kit thus need some input on the two most obvious choices by private email if necessary.

A) Unfortunately you are not alone. Most hobbyists do not know what is authentic, -and often times they look at an old replacement and assume that it is original. That is why having "Purists" around that are willing to research it and then share their findings is important for this hobby.

B) The Houston Branch was down on Harrisburg near Milby intersection, and later became the Maxwell House plant. I have no idea what is in there now, or even if it is still standing.

C) Basically what Mike Vitetta is telling you above is both of the manufacturers that you mentioned are incorrect in their sewing & material details even though they have original patterns & samples to go by. That is why it really makes no difference to tell you publicly or privately, as they are what they are. FIW, none of the four upholstery kit manufacturers have ever had a representative involved in the upholstery judging process at a national meet where they could learn from the experts such as Marco or Bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
In the 70's , Vaughn's in Greer SC was as close to original as you could get .
Actually, in the 70's, I'd wager that Bill Sturm's work was as close as you could get to how it was originally done.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 05-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #17
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I can tell you do not buy a CAR-DOUCHE interior as far as the other two take your pic... The LB kits work great for me and what I want to accomplish
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:47 AM   #18
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Again, IMO the issue is not necessarily the customer service, -but the Q/C and the details of the product itself. Theoretically, a company can be the kindest & and most prompt seller there is however if you are expecting one thing however they ship something else that is not the same in details as what you were expecting, then there is likely to be disappointment.

...AND with that said, Dan if you were to call and ask questions to them about a Tudor interior, do you feel you know enough about the authenticity of what your car had originally to ask the upholsterer those questions??
No, I am not an authority on interior products. This will be a driver and not a points car. Just make it look and feel good. For the rest I'm glad to have others more experienced that me.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:45 AM   #19
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicktick View Post
One of the best ways to make my father mad was to let him catch you using
his tack hammer to hit something ., I can see him now with a half a tube of
tacks in his mouth ,.,

In the 70's , Vaughn's in Greer SC was as close to original as you could get ., I used to drive over there just to see cars waiting to get in the building .,
I had my sport coupe done there. In about 2000. They did a out standing job, on top and interior. Just got a lot of nice comments in south Boston Va this past week on there work. But He retired not to long after I had my car done there.
I wanted them to do my 1956 Chev Sport coupe but ran out of time.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:02 AM   #20
Terry, NJ

Timely subject! Anyone ever hear of "Cut and Cover" from the mid west some years ago and are they still in business?
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote