Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Cape Codder

Default Scissor Type Lift

Does anyone use a Scissor Type Lift for their Model "A"? If so is this type of lift stable enough to put the "A" on? Also, how about some pro's and con's if you do own one?
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:38 PM   #2
steve hackel

Default Re: Scissor Type Lift

I personally own a 4 post Backyard Buddy and also a Snap ON scissors lift that was sold through NAPA, years ago. Each lift has its benefits and draw backs, and each one will perform a function that the other will not. I will say up front that have modified my own adapters to work with the 4 corner swing arms of the scissors lift, in order to accommodate the narrow width and higher aspect of the A' frame. MY adapters will reach either the frames rails, or the rear axle and the sides of the engine at the frame.
There is not a lot of room to work "UNDER" the area of car that is directly above the scissors platform, but that distance has been increased a great deal with my modified posts that fir into the corners of the swing arms. Are my 2 style lifts for every one, certainly not. Many will argue that a good 2 post lift is the only way to go, probably true for them, but mine works just fine; I also must admit that I never had a lift for the first 65 years of my life, so the acquisition of these has change my views dramatically. yes, I still get down on all 4s or lay on the ground to do certain things, but the lifts do have their place. In closing, I will say that I got fantastic deals on each of these just by following the papers, Craigs List and also Ebay, and both of them were bought locally for pennies on the dollar. P.S. yes, the scissors lift is quite stable, but only if you read the instructions and pay strict attention to the balance points of your vehicle. I have lifted up my Chevy Silverado 1500 and had no issues, but it took me many tries to find the center of gravity. keep a small note book hands and or use your cell phone to take pictures where things work best. Good Luck!
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 11:17 PM   #3
holdover

I have two 4 post Bend Pac lifts a HD 9 & a HD 12 and they work good for me. The ramps are adjustable so that you can move them where you can do whatever you want. If I want to raise the wheels off the ramps , I position them so I can use jack stands to support the axle. My HD12 extra wide and long WB has the extra benefit that the right side ramp is not bolted in place so it is fast and easy to move. This lift is bolted down in a fixed position, the HD 9 is movable and the ramps are bolted for strength. Heck I even change my lawn mower oil on it. They make trolley jacks to lift front and/or rear but they are a bit pricey so far I have put off buying them. Another advantage over a scissor jack is that you can double stack vehicles, which I often do for storage. Have had them for 12 years and no regrets, but I caution you will become a very popular with your car buddies.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
DD931

Could someone post a picture of the scissor jack you folks are talking about?
DD931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
DD931

Of course I meant lift, not jack!!
Old 02-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #6
pineyjd

IO have a scissor lift that was from HH gregg in new castle delaware $ 1500 3 years ago for my mercede sl,it works great for A with a few wood blocks, they have a selection of lifts
pineyjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #7
77Birdman

I just got an email, Home Depot now sells car lifts!
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
Bob Bidonde

I use a scissor jack from a 1960s Mustang.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #9
Keith True

I had one years ago,it has it's place.It is good for certain things,not everything.I got it from a tire store I worked in,we called it the tire lift.I think it was good for about 3 feet.It wasn't really a scissor,as it didn't go straight up.It went up and back as the piston pushed on it.Stability was no problem,it went up the same with a VW or a Caddy.We used it a lot when spin balancing tires.We could pick the car up a few inches and slide the Hunter wheel spinner under it.I bought it for bodywork,but it was great for front end work,brakes,rear ends,rear gas tanks,I changed the transmission in an Olds Toronado on it.I did have it bolted to the floor.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #10
VinceBlack

I bought a scissor lift from Harbor Freight, my son uses it for body work. Look on YouTube for the reviews on the lift. It will work good for service, oil and lube, tire replacement. This lift is a good buy.
VinceBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD931 View Post
Could someone post a picture of the scissor jack you folks are talking about?
https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-l...ift-91315.html
Old 02-11-2020, 03:56 PM   #12
DD931

Thanks!!