Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-06-2015, 06:46 AM   #1
Motorhead6

Default 1951 Car Dual Master Cylinder

I have a '51 car that has an AOD transmission. As such, there does not appear to be room underneath for a power brake booster, nor do I really want P/Bs. I have contacted a vendor that also suspects that there would be a space issue.

What I need to know is if there is a fairly simple bolt on dual master cylinder that will work. I know I am being a bit specific, but I do not want to relocate the M/C and pedals to the firewall.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 1951 Car Dual Master Cylinder

There was a thread on the H.A.M.B about this. IIRC, they use the stock pedals and mount the master cylinder further to the rear and use a longer brake push rod to get the extra room needed. I'll see if I can find it the next time I'm over there. Or, a search for "shoebox dual master" might work for ya'.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #3
AKCJ

Chris has it over at shoebox central.
AKCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
HCO41

Here's an earlier thread that may help:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...aster+cylinder

Howard
HCO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 02:21 PM   #5
FL&WVMIKE

I sure hope that you can find a dual M/C. I was sitting at the foot of a hill, with my brakes on, in my old 1953 Victoria, when a brake line rusted out, completely. My foot went straight to the floor.
Luckily, there was a break in traffic, at that moment, so I turned around and drove home, in low gear (up hill).
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #6
Barlea

First series Ford Econoline vans used the same master cyl as '49 '51 Fords, which used the master cyl casting as support for brake and clutch linkage. The mandated dual master cylinders came into effect the last year of the first series Econoline, 1967, so theoretically, find a '67 Econoline or a replacement master and it will be a dual master for your shoebox. I haven't found any yet.... ..B.
Barlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #7
HCO41

Barlea, same here, I looked throughout the country and even had the owner of a local junk yard search his network. The one lead that seemed like it might have been promising was an organization called Blue Oval Engineering. It's a group of Econoline collector/restorers. Don't know if they still exist but the guy I talked to seemed to playing with a 51 card deck. No luck there!
Howard
Old 04-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have always used the 67 mustang master cylinders, but it requires an adapter from three bolts to two bolts. You may need an adapter anyway to get it out of the way of other things. Be sure if you go with the mustang MC (or any other one) that you get what you are really wanting. The mustang MCs come in Front Disc/Rear Drum & Front Drum/Rear Drum.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #9
HCO41

Here's a picture of the '67 Econoline dual master cylinder. This is a one year one use master cylinder. It appears that the casting web behind the brake pedal pivot would have to be opened up for the clutch rod if it was to be used on a manual trans. car.

https://www.google.com/search?q=1967...tm%3B600%3B342

Howard
Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #10
Motorhead6

Thanks for the lead guys. Couldn't find a '67 Econoline MC which would be ideal but with your leads and the help of a local friend, I did find that ECI makes an adapter to accomodate a Mustang MC to the shoe box. The P/N is EC-450 and allows use of the existing brake pedal assembly and manual brakes. I will talk to them today to find out what welding is required and how the brake/clutch pedal assy is supported once the old M/C is removed. I will post my results.
Motorhead6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:35 PM   #11
V8 Bob

JFYI, I bought a kit made by Opie's Hot Rod Shop (out of Franklin OH) around 12 years ago for my '51 that just required a few holes to be drilled (no welding) in the frame to locate the new dual master cylinder bracket by the transmission cross member.. The new push rod simply bolted to the original pedal, and ran along side the stock unmodified master cylinder. This was a well made and designed setup, and am surprised something similar isn't available now, because of the simplicity and very low cost. (The email and phone number I have for for Opie's is no longer any good)
As stated above, my new push rod runs along side the old master, but there was another kit that also kept the stock master, and required gutting and opening the outlet end to allow the new push rod to move through the master body. The new rear-mounted master cylinder bracket also bolted the frame. This was a little cleaner setup, and positioned the master closer to the frame and farther away from the LH exhaust.
V8 Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #12
WestCoast

a point to think about, every time you change something from stock, your going to have to make 2 other changes, just some thing to think about, plan ahead to save yourself a lot of sorrow
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
butchbov

This whole issue is covered here; http://www.shoeboxford.com/members/c...6B603F376F7218

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #14
butchbov

By the way, I'm running that setup w/o a booster & find no need for one. Also have Davis Rod front discs. They work great.

In a world filled with stress it is better to give than to receive.
butchbov is offline   Reply With Quote